cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 2103 Bios for ROG Strix Gaming A Question?

Adrian1983
Level 10
I'm currently on 1601 after Asus messed up the voltage in Bios's after that which were supposedly fixed in 2004 but I didn't even attempt to flash that one as the fiasco appeared about not being able to rollback.

So where do we stand now with the new 2103? It doesn't say in the description you cannot rollback this time so if I flashed this new bios would I be able to revert back to 1601 should anything go wrong?

Has anyone tried the new 2103 on the Gaming A? Are voltages the same as 1601?

I have no faith in Asus anymore, Gone are the days where I didn't even think about them messing a bios update up they just worked but lately these updates have been poor and shoddy and I have lost all confidence in just flashing one without finding some sort of issue sadly.
13 REPLIES 13

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
im on bios 1503 the 12900 ks bios runs perfect 5.4 ghz 5.1 ring 32 gb 4133 c15 gear1 ddr4 im not updating to any bios unless i geta 13th gen cpu wait for bios threads and other ppl to review the bios so you dont get stuck not being able to flash back id stay on your bios or 1503 the 12900 ks bios or under .
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
im on bios 1503 the 12900 ks bios runs perfect 5.4 ghz 5.1 ring 32 gb 4133 c15 gear1 ddr4 im not updating to any bios unless i geta 13th gen cpu wait for bios threads and other ppl to review the bios so you dont get stuck not being able to flash back id stay on your bios or 1503 the 12900 ks bios or under .

Thanks, I think you're right, I'm not updating anymore after 1601 is working fine for me, I don't want to get stuck as some people have unfortunately, Up to 1601 is allowing me to run my Ballistix DDR 4 3600 at 3800mhz at gear 1 and all voltages are normal.

I have no intentions of upgrading to the 13900K, While there there is a little more performance there that my new RTX 4090 would maybe benefit from I jus reallly cannot see the point as I have this clocked up a little anyway over stock so I am going to pass on further bios updates for this board going forward.

Sad when you can't keep your system updated but as many have found out after the last few bios releases you're venturing into the unknown of what might go wrong, I'll stick with what works.

bass junkie xl wrote:

That was obviously a good speed on your system.

Drayco31
Level 11
ROG STRIX Z690-A Wifi D4 here, was just about to create a thread asking about this to. Not sure if it's just and oversight and they haven't included "This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack™, to ensure better compatibility." in the patch notes tough I suspect it's not included this time because we'd be able to Flashback to 2004 but no earlier. If so something like "This version does NOT allow rolling back to a previous versions before 2004, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack™, to ensure better compatibility." Least that way they could use the exact same text for all future updates.

It'd be nice if we could go back to earlier versions I'm just not optimistic about that

kaedex
Level 7
Adrian1983 wrote:
I'm currently on 1601 after Asus messed up the voltage in Bios's after that which were supposedly fixed in 2004 but I didn't even attempt to flash that one as the fiasco appeared about not being able to rollback.

So where do we stand now with the new 2103? It doesn't say in the description you cannot rollback this time so if I flashed this new bios would I be able to revert back to 1601 should anything go wrong?

Has anyone tried the new 2103 on the Gaming A? Are voltages the same as 1601?

I have no faith in Asus anymore, Gone are the days where I didn't even think about them messing a bios update up they just worked but lately these updates have been poor and shoddy and I have lost all confidence in just flashing one without finding some sort of issue sadly.

Asus z690 TUF here, have tried the 2103 bios and it's not possible to rollback, avoid at all costs!

kaedex wrote:
Asus z690 TUF here, have tried the 2103 bios and it's not possible to rollback, avoid at all costs!

Its not posible to rollback to anythign below 2004 right ? So you can still rollback to 2004 but not below it, as the rollback introduced was on 2004 not allowing anythign below

BenchAndGames wrote:
Its not posible to rollback to anything below 2004 right ? So you can still rollback to 2004 but not below it, as the rollback introduced was on 2004 not allowing anything below

It doesn't matter how many times you try to justify the appallingly low quality of recent Asus z690 BIOS releases, nobody affected by these issues gives a rats what your opinion on the matter is. So unless of you own a z690 with issues due to BIOS 2103 please do us all a favour and crawl back under your rock.

This is a significant and ongoing failure that's notably been followed up with the deafening sound of silence from Asus. Despite the screams of the many poor souls on these forums who, lets face it, paid stupid money for their mobo in the vain hope that Asus actually has half a clue what they're doing.
On current evidence people could be forgiven for thinking otherwise.

Due to BIOS 2103, I now have what can best be described as a £2500 paper weight.
Being able to roll back to only one previous BIOS version (2004 that by all reports is even worse than 2103!} provides me with zero comfort and even less confidence in Asus. The fact this limitation wasn't mentioned in the release notes doesn't help the situation.
BTW I also don't care about your thoughtless opinion on this matter. Literally nobody reads, or is expected to read, the release notes of every intervening version of a software release to find CRITICAL information like this. To say otherwise is patently ridiculous.

My rig was solid as a rock on 1703 previously now it's unusable; sometimes won't even POST, other times extremely instable and over heating using the same BIOS profile that was working OK prior to a simple restart, crashes, BSODs etc. No other changes were made just the BIOS update. Since all drivers, software and firmware (including ME) have been updated and verified.

There are other ways this transition to Raptor lake could have been managed, for example separate BIOS releases for Alder lake and Raptor lake.
They already do it for every hard-to-tell-the-difference mobo they make.
Why should Alder Lake owners suffer just so someone can stick a Raptor lake CPU in a Z690?
This is supposed to be a mature product, from a mature company. Currently it looks like neither.

We're not beta BIOS testers, we're customers who deserve, and have a legal right to expect way better than this.

Adrian1983
Level 10
I don't think I am going to purchase an Asus board again after this. Look to be perfectly honest I am pissed I now can't keep my system updated because i'm locked out of all future bios updates when Asus has decided to support Raptor Lake on the Z690 platform which can I add the Z690 platform was originally designed for Alder Lake, Z790 should be for Raptor Lake, Ok it's a bonus we can plop a new gen CPU in our Z690's but when this product was originally designed for the 12th series why should we suffer not being able to update because Asus can't be bothered making 2 bios's?

As has been stated above the logical scenario should have been to still improve functionality for current owners of 12th Gen without being locked out instead the the silence from Asus on the issue is really deafening, No apology and no resolution for current owners to be able to update a motherboard that a has a rollback feature, If I didn't want rollback Asus I would have bought a cheaper board, It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Adrian1983 wrote:
I don't think I am going to purchase an Asus board again after this. Look to be perfectly honest I am pissed I now can't keep my system updated because i'm locked out of all future bios updates when Asus has decided to support Raptor Lake on the Z690 platform which can I add the Z690 platform was originally designed for Alder Lake, Z790 should be for Raptor Lake, Ok it's a bonus we can plop a new gen CPU in our Z690's but when this product was originally designed for the 12th series why should we suffer not being able to update because Asus can't be bothered making 2 bios's?

As has been stated above the logical scenario should have been to still improve functionality for current owners of 12th Gen without being locked out instead the the silence from Asus on the issue is really deafening, No apology and no resolution for current owners to be able to update a motherboard that a has a rollback feature, If I didn't want rollback Asus I would have bought a cheaper board, It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Can I ask what the reason is you need to update for if you're not using a 13th gen CPU and don't require a microcode update?

It's not uncommon in the slightest to lock out roll backs when there is new Intel ME / ucode updates.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090