cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Fan curve settings in BIOS / Z690 Maximus Extreme / Lian Li o11 XL

simon_leuener
Level 10
Hello Everyone

Need help with Fan curve settings in BIOS for a more silent use of my PC please.

My Components:
-ASUS Z690 Maximus Extreme Board
-ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING Graphic card
-ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO cooler
-Lian Li o11 dynamic xl Case (ROG cert.)
-be quiet! SilentWings 3, PWM High-Speed, 120 mm (3x Bottom in, 3x Side in, 1x Rear out, AIO Top out with Original Asus Fans)
-All fans are on the board directly. No Hub. I split it on 2 Fans per connector (AIO-Pump-on W.Pump1, AIO-Fans on CPU.Fan and CPU.Opt, all case fans on the other Fan connectors)

So I want to set my Fan curve(s) that way, that they're more silent in Office use and Internet surfing, but still good cooling for 4K gaming (Final Fantasy XIV online – max settings).
At the moment I have all fans tied to "CPU Temp" and on "standard mode - preset" speed-wise…
Another problem is the constant spinning up and down of the fans whenever I open a browser or do something with a non-intense program (Fan Hysteresis)

So my questions:
-Can someone help me set my Fan curves manually. I don’t know how to do it and if its correct to tie all Fans to the "CPU-Temp"?
-Maybe someone with a similar PC build / use can show me his/her settings of Fan curve in BIOS? So I can "copy" it?
-Can Someone help me how to get rid of this terrible Hysteresis (spin up and down for a second all the time…)? What I have to do?

Thank u so much for the help! :):)
13 REPLIES 13

simon_leuener
Level 10
Nobody? Can someone please help me?

I watched many Vids, but its not specific to my build / case / fans
Would really appreciate ur advise.

Thank u so much and ahave a good weekend 🙂

You might be better to have your AIO pump and fans running at pretty much constant speed, or at least have a gentle curve so you don't get very rapid changes. The trouble here is that I don't understand what settings you have access to because every setup is different. But, I'd be surprised if you can't get it all working the way you want.

The other option is to change your fan settings in Windows. For example, Armoury crate will see fans connected to the motherboard directly (and so should help) but otherwise, does your cooler have have fan control software for Windows?

You could also try this fan software. It's free and people say good things about it. https://github.com/rem0o/fancontrol.releases
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17
Simon - can you send some images of what settings/curves you have access to please? You can just take some BIOS screenshots using you phone, that should be good enough. Most fans curve settings use the same principles, so is the problem that you are not sure how to set the curves as you want? Or is the problem that those settings just don't seem to be working at all?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Drayco31
Level 11
I'd second the Fansoftware JohnAB linked above. I've been using it for 8/9 months now and I've suggested it to others on here before. Can manually backup your config so you won't need to redo fan curves if you update Bios. Or if you used suckycrate when you reinstall windows, says backup but it doesn't do anything if you reinstall OS. Also won't work if yu change or add fan as you need to redo curves for every fan.

Fan Controller software linked above

Video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDPKVKBMQU8

I have mine set to be quiet for desktop stuff and obviously loader when gaming and I have headphones on. Have it set that my case fans ramp up speed based on the hottest temp whether that be the CPU or GPU.

Best thing I can suggest is watch the Vid tutorial then give it a go.

To give you a starting point my curves are at the bottom. Does look a little confusing, have added anything I may have changed like hysteresis and stuff. If you decide to try them I suggest you have the % higher as I have lots of fans and a 360mm in a push/pull config using 6x120mm Silent wings along with 3x 140mm intakes and 1x140mm exhaust. Plus an undervolted CPU. Right now, just reset numbers, on desktop my CPU is 27-30 with Fans on 360mm radiator sat at 329RPM and case fans at 530RPM.

You'll need to Identify your own fans and assign them to fancurves/graphs below
CPU
Hysteresis 2
Response 1

15% @30 Degrees C
30% @60
55% @75

Bottom Row, left to right
Temp-%----MinTemp-MaxTemp
40---15%-----20------100%

Gpu

Hysteresis 2
Response 3

30% @50
40% @60
70% @70
100% @80

49---0%-----0------90%

As I have Curves mixing

CaseFanHub (CPU) with CPU as source
Hysteresis 2
Response 1
20% @40
45% @50
70% @60
100% @75

40---15%-----20------100%

CaseFanHub (GPU) with GPU as source
Hysteresis 2
Response 1
50% @42
63% @60
80% @75
100% @80

20---50%-----20------90%--

CaseFanHubMix
Function = Max

Curves to use is
CaseFanHub (CPU)
CaseFanHub (GPU)

Thank u so much for the answers 😮

Well I try to explain what i've done so far.

First of all, i dont use Windows Software like FanExpert, ArmoryCrate, or 3th party tools.
I try/tried to set the ideal fan-settings on the bios only.

Previous I set my :
CPU/CPU-Opt to Standard (These are the outtake 3 Fans of the AIO cooling)
Waterpump to max/full (This is the AIO Waterpump)
The 3 Bottom Fans to Standard (intake Case Fans)
The 3 Side Fans to Standard (intake Case Fans)
The 1 Rear Fan to Turbo (outtake Case Fan)

The problem was the Hysteresis aka spin up and down when i open a browser, surf, work on Office)
This was not manageable in Bios and was terrible.

Today I set up:

The same set up like above BUT with ASUS AI Cooling enabled in BIOS.

The Hysteresis seems to be gone :o:o:o

Now my Questions please:
1.) Does ASUS AI Cooling (only in BIOS) overrite the Silent/Standard/Turbo/etc. ?
2.) Does ASUS AI Cooling (only in BIOS) set a hidden Hysteresis, since it seems to works now? Hysteresis = Spin up and down all few seconds
3.) Do I have to set Hydonode to enable or disable (I have all beQuiet! Hispeed PWM Fans built in the Case (Expect AIO Fans, these are ASUS original)
4.) Do i have to Run Fan-Expert Program in BIOS?

Thank u all so much for ur help! I really appreciate it ❤️

Have a good Sunday 😮

simon.leueuer wrote:
Thank u so much for the answers 😮

Well I try to explain what i've done so far.

First of all, i dont use Windows Software like FanExpert, ArmoryCrate, or 3th party tools.
I try/tried to set the ideal fan-settings on the bios only.

Previous I set my :
CPU/CPU-Opt to Standard (These are the outtake 3 Fans of the AIO cooling)
Waterpump to max/full (This is the AIO Waterpump)
The 3 Bottom Fans to Standard (intake Case Fans)
The 3 Side Fans to Standard (intake Case Fans)
The 1 Rear Fan to Turbo (outtake Case Fan)

The problem was the Hysteresis aka spin up and down when i open a browser, surf, work on Office)
This was not manageable in Bios and was terrible.

Today I set up:

The same set up like above BUT with ASUS AI Cooling enabled in BIOS.

The Hysteresis seems to be gone :o:o:o

Now my Questions please:
1.) Does ASUS AI Cooling (only in BIOS) overrite the Silent/Standard/Turbo/etc. ?
2.) Does ASUS AI Cooling (only in BIOS) set a hidden Hysteresis, since it seems to works now?
3.) Do I have to set Hydonode to enable or disable (I have all beQuiet! Hispeed PWM Fans built in the Case (Expect AIO Fans, these are ASUS original)

Thank u all so much for ur help! I really appreciate it ❤️

Have a good Sunday 😮

Now my Questions please:
Asus AI cooling has nothing to do with present, but yes does overrite the preset in bios
2.) Does ASUS AI Cooling (only in BIOS) set a hidden Hysteresis, since it seems to works now?
no idea what is that sorry. ai cooling handle the speed base on temp and use
hydra thingy does not work if those fans are plug (pwm and 2 pins. the hydra node fans is not available to market, and as far they will not, once AC new version is deploy will be disable since i find out that mess up some functions.
you can run fan expert on bios or armory crate and also control the fans in armory crate (z690/z790 and am5) i do not use it i use only base settings and in bios i use standard and those fans you have the quietest one's ever made, mine are ek vardar furious (red cable)

i recommend calibrating the fans FIRST then run asus ai cooling and yes does work very very good. the ai will try to run the fan with the less minimum fan rotation possible. i use my fans as it is and make the curve that i think is the best for my set up (case and ambient temp) and more cause is summer and under the roof is 34C
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi Simon, I have Hydranode turned on (at least it shows that in Armoury Crate) but unless you are using a splitter cable and have purchased Hydranode fans, then I don't think it will make any difference. I don't have Hydranode fans, so for me I think it makes no difference at all whether it's on or off. I control most of my my fans via Windows software anyway. The only fan control I manage in Armoury Crate are for two extra fans that blow air towards my chipset to help keep it cool. Just convenient for me.

You should be able to set the fans how you want in BIOS if that's your preference. Just to say that hysteresis and the rate at which fans change speed are different settings (if offered in Fan Expert).

Rate settings determine how long it will take for a fan to increase speed from, let's say 1,000 to 2,000 rpm. This can be useful to avoid rapid changes so that noise is less noticeable. If noise is still an issue, then you can reduce the maximum speed setting, as long as you still get the cooling you need.

Hysteresis allows you to set a fan trigger temperature (let's say 55C to turn a fan on). Without hysteresis, the fan would just turn off again below 55C. However, if you set hysteresis to 10C (for example) then the fan will keep running until the temperature falls below 45C. Then it will stay off until the trigger temperature of 55C is reached again. I use this feature with my GPU fans. It just means that they don't turn on and off so frequently and I can keep the GPU cool (just in Windows when temperature tends to creep up very slowly) with a low fan speed because they are running for longer.

Don't be afraid to experiment until you get the noise and cooling performance that you are looking for. I don't know the answers to Questions 1 and 2 specifically, as I haven't really played with Fan Expert. You will probably get more sophisticated fan control if you use Windows based software - but entirely up to you of course. By the way, that freeware fan control software runs in its own folder, so you could try it and then just delete the folder if you don't like it. There was no install process when I tried it, so it will leave your copy of Windows nice and clean if that's your concern.

Have fun, you will do no harm in trying different settings 🙂

I wrote this before I saw MrAgapiGC's reply. Think we were both responding at the same time...

JohnAb wrote:
Hi Simon, I have Hydranode turned on (at least it shows that in Armoury Crate) but unless you are using a splitter cable and have purchased Hydranode fans, then I don't think it will make any difference. I don't have Hydranode fans, so for me I think it makes no difference at all whether it's on or off. I control most of my my fans via Windows software anyway. The only fan control I manage in Armoury Crate are for two extra fans that blow air towards my chipset to help keep it cool. Just convenient for me.

You should be able to set the fans how you want in BIOS if that's your preference. Just to say that hysteresis and the rate at which fans change speed are different settings (if offered in Fan Expert).

Rate settings determine how long it will take for a fan to increase speed from, let's say 1,000 to 2,000 rpm. This can be useful to avoid rapid changes so that noise is less noticeable. If noise is still an issue, then you can reduce the maximum speed setting, as long as you still get the cooling you need.

Hysteresis allows you to set a fan trigger temperature (let's say 55C to turn a fan on). Without hysteresis, the fan would just turn off again below 55C. However, if you set hysteresis to 10C (for example) then the fan will keep running until the temperature falls below 45C. Then it will stay off until the trigger temperature of 55C is reached again. I use this feature with my GPU fans. It just means that they don't turn on and off so frequently and I can keep the GPU cool (just in Windows when temperature tends to creep up very slowly) with a low fan speed because they are running for longer.

Don't be afraid to experiment until you get the noise and cooling performance that you are looking for. I don't know the answers to Questions 1 and 2 specifically, as I haven't really played with Fan Expert. You will probably get more sophisticated fan control if you use Windows based software - but entirely up to you of course. By the way, that freeware fan control software runs in its own folder, so you could try it and then just delete the folder if you don't like it. There was no install process when I tried it, so it will leave your copy of Windows nice and clean if that's your concern.

Have fun, you will do no harm in trying different settings 🙂

I wrote this before I saw MrAgapiGC's reply. Think we were both responding at the same time...

Outstanding where did you get the silverstone air penetrator hydranode or the BitFenix Spectre Hydranode ARGB Fn i have try to get those usa and eu for 2 years. once those are installed the board will activate on armory crate the menu on the board (brand logo will appear)

the z690 new board has an extra plug (2 pin) that goes to pins beside the audio connectors on the board (front panel) i still researching how that work. (only on z690 z790 and I think on am5 new boards. let's hope that deploy to maket
Learn, Play Enjoy!

JohnAb
Level 17
Possibly a misunderstanding lol - I was just saying that I have hydranode mode turned on, but I do not actually have any hydranode fans 😞