cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard not detecting SSD's

Sierra_Oscar
Level 7
Hi all,

I'm using a Maximus Hero Z690 board. I currently have two Samsung M.2 NVME's installed, both of which are being detected by the bios and Windows and are working without issue.

I also have a OCZ Vertex 460 SSD installed in one of the SATA ports and it is being detected by the bios and Windows and it is working fine.

However, I am also trying to install two older SSD's - a OCZ Vertex 4 and OCZ Vertex 3. Neither of these SSD's is being detected by the bios or Windows.

They are working without issue on my old build, so I know they are not bricked. I've tried switching out the SATA cable with the one used by the Vertex 460 and the same issue arises, so I know it is not a cable fault.

I have tried swapping SATA ports (including to the one that the Vertex 460 is working on), so I know it is not fault with the SATA port.

I know from previous builds then certain SATA pots are disabled and whatnot depending on what M.2 slots you are using, but that does not seem to be the case with this board.

I'm guessing it is some sort of comparability problem. Both SSD's must be nearly ten years old.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a case of 'if I have them, I'll use them' and I'm not overly reliant on them, but I would like to get them up and running if possible. It's made me curious as to what could be the issue.
2 REPLIES 2

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Sierra Oscar wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using a Maximus Hero Z690 board. I currently have two Samsung M.2 NVME's installed, both of which are being detected by the bios and Windows and are working without issue.

I also have a OCZ Vertex 460 SSD installed in one of the SATA ports and it is being detected by the bios and Windows and it is working fine.

However, I am also trying to install two older SSD's - a OCZ Vertex 4 and OCZ Vertex 3. Neither of these SSD's is being detected by the bios or Windows.

They are working without issue on my old build, so I know they are not bricked. I've tried switching out the SATA cable with the one used by the Vertex 460 and the same issue arises, so I know it is not a cable fault.

I have tried swapping SATA ports (including to the one that the Vertex 460 is working on), so I know it is not fault with the SATA port.

I know from previous builds then certain SATA pots are disabled and whatnot depending on what M.2 slots you are using, but that does not seem to be the case with this board.

I'm guessing it is some sort of comparability problem. Both SSD's must be nearly ten years old.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It's a case of 'if I have them, I'll use them' and I'm not overly reliant on them, but I would like to get them up and running if possible. It's made me curious as to what could be the issue.

That is cause the old system was legacy and the new is UEFI.
You can change that. In bios go to BOOT and change to CSM enable and make sure the SECURE BOOT keys are clear safe and restart also check that you are using the last nonbeta bios. Also check the manuals and where are plug USE the middle sata connector on the board. (just in case)
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Thanks MrAgapiGC. I have tried enabling CSM and no joy so far.

I enabled CSM, deleted the keys in Secure Boot and loaded the default and then saved the changes. However, when I go back into the bios CSM is showing as disabled. Tried it a few times now, CSM always reverts back to disabled even though when I exit the bios and save the changes it is acknowledging that I've changed CSM Disabled>Enable.