cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microstutters ingame

Puppet_Master2
Level 8

Hey guys im having some microstutters in diffrent games and i don't know what's causing it tbh it could be the memory maybe since it's not on the qvl list for my motherboard im playing on 1440p without any overclocking done besides enabling XMP profile 1 in the bios was hoping the latest 1901 bios update would fix the issue but the stuttering is still there and it's kinda annoying i don't have any issues with temprature att all cpu is 35-40C idle and around 60-70 while gaming and the gpu is around 35-40idle and 45-50 during games.

Cpu:i9 14900k

Gpu: rog asus strix oc 4080 S 

Motherboard:Rog strix z790-E gaming wifi 1

Memory:Corsair dominator titanium 48gb @7200mt's (cmp48gx5m2x7200c36)

SSD:samsung 990pro

PSU:Corsair RM1000x 1000w ATX.30

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sounds good. XMP 2 runs the default DIMM profile which has some relaxed memory subsets.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Puppet_Master2 

Potentially memory-related, yes. Have you disabled XMP Overclocking to establish whether the microstuttering is still there?

Hi thanks for the reply

I have not tried to use it without XMP enabled but i can do that,it sets the speed to 4800mt/s as defualt any way to run a test besides playing games and see if the issue occurs? like force it if it's memory related?

Yes, when experiencing issues returning to stock should always be the first move. If the microstuttering is no longer present, then we can look at testing memory stability sufficiently when XMP is enabled.

So i tried it without XMP im not getting any stutters @Silent_Scone  i forgot to mention the reason why i thought it was the memory, i was getting BSODs and also CTD while on XMP 1 and XMP 2 while running it @7400 and then lowered it to @7200 same issue’s but not as frequent as on @7400 XMP profile 

Thanks for the update. Right, so the overclock is probably not stable.

I'd recommend Karhu RAM Test, and evaluating stability with this. I'm fairly confident it will fall over quite quickly. 

From there, you have two options. You can either attempt to dial in 7200 for that CPU or lower the DRAM frequency till the CPU is comfortable enough. If you're not testing memory stability then it's probably not a good idea to exceed the XMP profile.

For better success in achieving "plug and play" overclocking, consider memory kits that are one to three frequency bins below the motherboard's maximum qualification on the QVL. The higher the frequency and tighter the timings, the more likely manual tuning might be needed to adjust for signal variance between parts—success with memory kits at or near the top of the QVL validation table depends largely on the quality of the CPU memory controller.

So i was looking at the QVL  and i saw that they added a new dominator titanium 2x24GB corsair kit  to the list and rated for @7600 same memory module SK Hynix and must have been with the recent 1901 bios update

im assuming the FW is the same CMP48GX5M2X7600C36 (Ver.5.53.13) so i don't know why if a higher rated module is on the QVL my lower speed kit would cause instability did i get unlucky with my CPU memory controller? i mean im most likely going to dail it in 7200speed but i've never tweaked with my memory timings before can i take the timings from the one on the QVL and just use those? and how about getting the new beta bios 2001 is that worth a try for just plug and play instead of tweaking with the memory manually  @Silent_Scone 

Aiming for the top of the QVL validation table is always a gamble, just the nature of overclocking. You need to run stress tests such as Karhu or TM5 to establish the condition of the overclock before progressing.

You can check out the latest BIOS, sure. microcode 0x123 see's a small bump in MT performance (ignore CEP if on K-Series CPUs)

Beyond that - try XMP II as this is the default DIMM profile, may aid stability. 

The easiest way to tune memory on Z690/Z790 are the key associated voltages.

VDDQ
VDD 
CPU System Agent 
[Advanced Memory Voltages Menu]
Memory Controller Voltage
VDDQTX

First off thanks alot for the tips and ill start by just trying out the new beta bios without disabling CEP since im on the K i9 and then if it's still unstable ill try to tweak the voltages @Silent_Scone and see where it takes me.

Sure, let us know how you get on. Each CPU is different when it comes to these things - a lot of users assume there is some kind of sweet spot or magic bullet. Unfortunately, that isn't the case which is why the auto rules can only do so much.

Report back when you've tested things out. 👍