cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Z790 Extreme: Included Fan Hub Not Detected

ExtremeSuperRam
Level 7
The fan hub included with this motherboard, which is plugged into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, is not being detected by any software (including Armory Crate). As a result, I cannot set fan speeds nor monitor thermal sensors that are attached to it. It's receiving power and the attached fans are spinning (very low), but not being able to control the fans is a problem. Are some sort of drivers needed for this? I did not see anything in this regard in the manual or support page. The fan hub seems to be detected in Windows as "Fan Extension Card 3," but that's about it. Has anyone been able to get this working properly?
5 REPLIES 5

MakeMuricaGreat
Level 7
ExtremeSuperRampageCJ wrote:
The fan hub included with this motherboard, which is plugged into a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard, is not being detected by any software (including Armory Crate). As a result, I cannot set fan speeds nor monitor thermal sensors that are attached to it. It's receiving power and the attached fans are spinning (very low), but not being able to control the fans is a problem. Are some sort of drivers needed for this? I did not see anything in this regard in the manual or support page. The fan hub seems to be detected in Windows as "Fan Extension Card 3," but that's about it. Has anyone been able to get this working properly?

I too am having this issue. Armoury Crate is -- and always was -- absolute dog****. I got it to launch the Fan Xpert ONCE and ONLY ONCE... just a blank page whenever I open that page now.

Even Fan Control v136 can't find the individual fans on this dog**** "controller"..

MakeMuricaGreat wrote:
I too am having this issue. Armoury Crate is -- and always was -- absolute dog****. I got it to launch the Fan Xpert ONCE and ONLY ONCE... just a blank page whenever I open that page now.

Even Fan Control v136 can't find the individual fans on this dog**** "controller"..

Here is what I get... $1,000 USD motherboard and the **** they include doesn't even work. So tired of the dumbest stuff not working right out of the box.

I have a similar problem with the original ROC fan controller and my Maximus Z790...

It works and is list in the Armory Crate, but in the device manager of Win11 it is remarked as unknowing device. (code 43)
I called 4 times ! the ASUS "Support* in Europe regarding a helping hand or solution- they promised to check over internally
and get back to me, but I never got a call back.

I tried all possible ways and I am sure that it is installed correct.

Support is a joke and as a EVGA enthusiast I really miss a similar support at ASUS....

Maybe there are any ideas from danother user.....

angeli662
Level 8
ExtremeSuperRampageCJ wrote:

Mine is working perfectly, have you updated it to 703 Bios?

VRT
Level 8
Having the exact same problem here, worked once, now its completely not working at all. Sometimes it shows up in fanxpert with 0rpm for everything curves don't work, sometimes it shows a blank screen. Updated to latest bios etc, loaded optimised defaults etc.

EDIT: Right, I am also using a Ryujin II 360 AIO and the fan controller that came with it (which is different than the one that came with the Z790 Extreme), which also uses the USB cable. I'm guessing there might be a conflict between the Z90 Extreme and the Ryujin II.