cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Future Motherboard Feature Suggestions Here!

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

EDIT:
I’ve updated the titles for these feedback threads to reflect that this is primarily for *future* products. Sorry for the lack of clarity. While there is a chance some ideas could be implemented via software updates it’s most likely any suggestions would be rolled into new products.
Also, these threads are not for issue reporting and such posts won’t reach the right people. Please post issues in the ROG Care > Hardware & Software Support section. Or contact ASUS support via phone or email for immediate assistance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
147 REPLIES 147

What for are you using them? You have 12 on the back and 9 on the front with all extra USB connectors. I have miniITX B660i and it has 8 on the back and 3 up front and there is extra USB headers on the MB that I have not even connected. 

Beaver_Cheese
Level 9

Dear Asus Team.

I would like my PC to boot directly to Windows again after a BIOS Update.

The first time I did a BIOS Update on my Z790 Strix-A, the Post screen stayed at this message "press F1 to recover BIOS" but my monitor had just gone into standby after the last restart so it didn't wake up.

So I was staring at a black screen for half an hour thinking I bricked my PC.

I finally switched it off and on again and it worked but my MSI Mainboard for examplee boots to Windows even after a BIOS Update. I didnt' see a post screen there either because the monitor again just got into standby and didn't catch the signal to wake up again but when the resolution changed to windows desktop, I got a picture.

its because everything gets reset, i have watercooled CPU, i set the fan monitor to disabled on the cpu, it get's turned back on after bios update, that might be your problem. or you got something else changed, then it gets changed back. it has always been that way.

martine-dee
Level 12

Here is Steve also talking about the seven-segment displays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

Keep exploring, keep innovating, keep creating

ReatKay
Level 8

Bring back the Formula. I'm affraid to be stuck, because  I always lose something vital. If I chose X i lose an M.2 Slot, if I chose Y i don't have 10GBit/s Ethernet anymore, if I choose Z, I only have 2 DIMM Slots...

I'm one of the guys, that uses everything the Formula has to offer - and I'm a bit worried that even with a socket change it might be pretty much the same situation 😞

Formula? EXTREME has it all. i gotta have thunderbolt and 10gbe. 

ExcessiveGBH
Level 9

Disable all NVM hard drives in BIOS, just for installing OS, as I have had the boot section install on other hard drives separate from the OS. Saves on disconnecting them.

System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

1TM1TM
Level 11

Suggestion 1:
undo stacked M.2 or significantly redesign this. Stacked arrangement causes _extremely_ poor M.2 cooling with Z790I. Transfer speed in the test oscillates between 0 and XX MB/s indicating overheating. Possible redesign - turn the riser 90 degrees so M.2 slots become vertical, allowing individual (and proper) heatsinks. Better yet, place M.2 slots separately.

M.2 performance on (near)flagship ROG Strix z790i is far far below that of M.2 on Ggiabyte Z690 UD which costs 1/3 of Asus. Very poor design - we shouldn't see such poor design from Asus (as is now).

Suggestion 2:
Allow ErrorCode LED to be connected by a cable and placed outside the case where it can be actually seen. I have suggested this before (in a different thread), but instead Asus chose the HIVE route (many complaints about HIVE) - and I see PauloPanda also suggested the same (11/27/2022) and martine-dee (7/30/2023). Cost to implement this suggestion - miniscule. Most boards already have RGB 4-pin connectors. Standard RGB cable (retail cost $1, bulk cost pennies) can be used for this. Don't overdo the ErrorCode LED as some fancy ROG shape- Keep It Simple (but provide a 3dprintable template if someone wants to put a custom frame on it). Like Asrock, allow it to be a CPU Temperature indicator (after the boot) - Asrock Taichi LED can show CPU temperature.
Ideally, make this a retrofit (add code in BIOS) - so all owners with motherboards which have RGB connector can get one.

Suggestion 3:
Bring back the Speaker socket (for BIOS boot beep code testing).

Suggestion 4:
Marketing department to reduce bonus of the VP who approved HIVE.

Suggestion 5:
Keep essential functions (flashback socket and sound connectors) on the board backplate, not on some odd adapter cable.

edit: Suggestion6:

Don't do non-standard dimensions. Rog Z790I has an odd non-standard height  M.2 tower and non-standard height VRM heatsink with odd-shaped protrusions which interfere with standard sized coolers, which limits this board to only the most basic smallest size coolers. Example: a properly sized HX6200D doesn't fit because of the above two reasons - the useless three mini-fins on the VRM heatsink and the M.2 tower - so it cannot be oriented in any direction to fit.

Either the board designer may have done this on purpose to spite Asus, or the designer has never assembled a single PC in their career.

Suggestion 7 (optional): for the webmaster (if one exists) - make the captcha timeout longer that 15 seconds so one can actually type a response without the edit window losing focus.

1TM1TM
Level 11

Another suggestion, deserving its own post (as I explain the reasons why):

Move the 2x8 CPU power connector(s) - one on Z790I and two on Z790HeroMini - all the way to the corner, next to the screw mount. Why: in miniITX and microATX builds the CPU power cable placement does interfere with layout of components.

Important know-how for Asus:

MiniATX board layout designers (and especially the VP approving the design) must have experience of either building SFFPC themselves, or playing games such as Tetris _and_ Sokoban (and being good at it). This is a pre-requisite for them to have a mindset that their work in layout of the components on the board strongly affects the subsequent builds (and the demand for and revenue from their product, or lack thereof).

Good example of the CPU power connector placement: Gigabyte Z790I board that just came out - so Asus can learn. BTW, with the most recent records with Giga boards scoring with 14900K and with DDR5 memory, their Z790I makes it a very attractive proposition - but the layout is more important than records.

May I ask how moving the connector by few cm helps? Usually the problem is the opposite - that connector is too far from where PSU is in the case, the cable is too short.