cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M2_1 nvme socket only pcie4 x 2

malincia24
Level 7

Hi 🙂

My motherboard ASUS Z790 WIFI F bios 0904 has weird issue.

When SSD NVME is insert in socket M2_1 the speed of Samsung 990 2TB Pro has only speed x2 and and there is no x4

When the same ssd is in socekt M2_2 it has full speed x4

The other 1 x drive HDD is plug in sata

My config:

I713700K - system no overclocking

2 x 16GB ddr5 7200Mhz - no overclocking

i tested everything 🙂 reset bios, plug off RTX 4090, plug ofd sata, diferent bios config, turn off wifi and sata and no luck

Please help

7 REPLIES 7

midianprime
Level 8

Have you installed Samsung Magician and updated the firmware?

Yes. I updated 990 pro 2TB to the newest firmware. Is that possible its firmware problem if m2_2 work corectly? Maybe procesor faulty? 

midianprime
Level 8

You might want to keep the nvme in the M2_2 slot anyway as the 4090 will only run 8x with it in M2_1.

@midianprime wrote:

You might want to keep the nvme in the M2_2 slot anyway as the 4090 will only run 8x with it in M2_1.

No, that's incorrect for the Strix Z790-F.  M.2_1 does not take GPU lanes on that board; it uses the dedicated x4 storage lanes from the CPU, which are higher performance than the chipset M.2 slots (M.2_2, M.2_3, and M.2_4).

I wish my Z790 Rog Maximus Extreme was set up that way. I assumed all Asus Z790 boards were configured that way.

malincia24
Level 7

One more question. Is that problem with motherboard, nvme drive or what :)?

malincia24
Level 7

Update

Hi. I reaseted CPU 🙂 Clean IPA and blow compressed air. You dont believe....M2_1 is x4 back. Transfers normal 🙂

Thanks for response:)