cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 drive bending when heatsink screwed down.

Synomenon
Level 7
Z690-i

When I screw down the m.2 heatsink my 980 Pro. starts to bend...
14 REPLIES 14

Synomenon wrote:
Everything is stock and as it came out of the box. I didn't install any additional rubber pads or thermal pads. There is no screw to secure the M.2 drive. There's a gray, plastic lock that rotates in place to secure the drive. The risers under the M.2 drive? Those are what were pre-installed, out of the box.

That grey plastic exactly a rotating lock to secure your NVME. Anti clock turn to unlock and insert your Samsung 980 Pro and lock it to secure again. Hope it help you with your query.

ahfoo wrote:
That grey plastic exactly a rotating lock to secure your NVME. Anti clock turn to unlock and insert your Samsung 980 Pro and lock it to secure again. Hope it help you with your query.

It looks like your drive has some taller components to it in the middle somewhere and that is forcing it to press down. The thermal pad is very soft and that would just compress, so I don't think it is that, it is the stick you are using is thicker. On my board using a Samsung 980 Pro it fits just fine.

Any Updates on this issue?

What temps are you getting

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
As already suggested, the double sided pad that ships with the board is meant to aid in installation on single sided M.2 drives. However, slight flex shouldn't damage the drive.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Sunfox
Level 7
If you're installing in an m.2 slot that doesn't have a pre-installed bottom thermal pad, then there's a tiny rubber piece included somewhere in the box that sits on top of the stock installed rubber bumper, and helps compensate for the lack of chips on the bottom side of single-sided m.2 drives. I don't think this will prevent all flex, but they include it for a reason.

With that said, the flex I see doesn't look like it would be an issue.