cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of onboard CMOS battery for ROG STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI

Braegnok
Level 14
Does anyone know the location of the onboard CMOS battery for STRIX Z690-I GAMING WIFI motherboard.

The reason I'm asking is the system worked fine on the bench with Intel Pentium G7400 Gold CPU with the included OEM Intel Cooler, RTX A2000 12GB card in PCIe X16 slot. Everything worked fine, I loaded Windows 11 Pro, and all drivers, updated BIOS.

92809 92810

System Specs:

OK,.. after updating system I pulled the Pentium chip and installed Intel Core i7-12700K CPU, and installed motherboard in LIAN LI A4-H20-X4 chassis, than custom water cooling single loop on CPU.

92812 92813

After completing the build in chassis, leak-testing, filling loop the system will not post, I have no DP out from graphics card, thus no monitor. The fans all spin-up, and pump starts, all DRGB lighting,.. but no display on monitor.

The GPU is mounted on the back side of chassis with a 4.0 riser cable.

Now is whare things get frustrating,.. I figured the riser cable could be the issue, so I re-set both motherboard, GPU connections and no luck.

Than I replaced riser cable with known working right angle 4.0 riser cable,.. just coming out the front with card laying on bench as all I wanted was to see if cable was faulty, but still the same issue no display.

Than decided to go with IGPU, pulled riser cable and tried onboard graphics both type-C ports and HDMI ports and no display.

I have powered off, pulled power cord, pushed clear CMOS button on rear IO several times and no display, no post with IGPU,.. which should default to on-board graphics when no card is installed as BIOS setting was in AUTO when I tested system on bench.

So I decided perhaps pulling CMOS battery, and pushing clear CMOS might solve issue. As it seems swapping CPU to i7-12700K must be the issue, as system was fine on bench before swapping CPU.

I have not started system after swapping CPU, I just pulled Pentium chip installed i7-12700K and built system in chassis.

Any thoughts, advice before I start tearing apart this system looking for CMOS battery,.. I know it's not under M.2 drives, or on back-side of board. I'm thinking the battery is located under rear IO shroud which means I will need to drain system, and pull CPU block to remove IO shroud.

Thanks in advance for any advice,.. hopefully someone has a fix for this issue that does not require pulling CPU block,.. 😛
16 REPLIES 16

Braegnok
Level 14
Thanks for the link MasterC@ROG,.. :cool:

Got everything put back together today, leak-test passed.

Filled the loop with Mayhems Eco X1 Clear,.. system booted into BIOS, everything is working fine.

Done deal, this build was a challenge every step of the way.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Glad it worked out for you.

That's a sweet build, how are the temps? Would've been difficult to air cool that. Nice work.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Glad it worked out for you.

That's a sweet build, how are the temps? Would've been difficult to air cool that. Nice work.

Thanks mate,

Temps are fine so far under daily usage.

I really haven't ran any sustained heavy loads yet. Aside from RealBench V2, Karu memory test, y-cruncher.

Hi.

Did you have any more problems like described in the thread? As I understand your problem was resolved after changing MB to new one via retailer?

Did you check possibility of any contact electronic components in the socket area (for example, double capacitors) with waterblock details?

I have same problem only with Z590-I model. I tested my system in an open air stand. Combined it after that with custom watercooling system and system sometimes works fine especially first week but later mostly is rebooted due to power recycling.

I tried most common methods like to changle PSU, memory an others but with no luck.

But yesterday when I take off my waterblock I have been realized that waterblock body impacted and damaged 2 capacitors in the socket area.

I strongly recommend you to check out this moment. I think that soldering issue was reasoned by shirt circling and maybe is the real reason of the thread problem. It's dangerous. It may cause a fire.

Thanks.

roiman wrote:
Hi.

Did you have any more problems like described in the thread? As I understand your problem was resolved after changing MB to new one via retailer?

Did you check possibility of any contact electronic components in the socket area (for example, double capacitors) with waterblock details?

I have same problem only with Z590-I model. I tested my system in an open air stand. Combined it after that with custom watercooling system and system sometimes works fine especially first week but later mostly is rebooted due to power recycling.

I tried most common methods like to changle PSU, memory an others but with no luck.

But yesterday when I take off my waterblock I have been realized that waterblock body impacted and damaged 2 capacitors in the socket area.

I strongly recommend you to check out this moment. I think that soldering issue was reasoned by shirt circling and maybe is the real reason of the thread problem. It's dangerous. It may cause a fire.

Thanks.

Hello,.. your correct the problem was resolved after changing MB to new one via retailer.

A vender for the retailer was providing refurberished motherboards and listing/selling them as new in sealed retail box's,..

Asus Support gave me a detailed report with several photo's. The damage was at the bottom edge of motherboard, someone removed and replaced the PCIe X 16 slot,.. and did a poor solder job, and also caused a short most likly due to using high temp over 160 when soldering on motherboard.

The water block I use is EK-Quantum Velocity2 : https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-velocity2-d-rgb-1700-full-nickel

Plenty of clearance around the socket with the cold plate in contact with IHS, and rear exact mount installed.

I have this block on three Asus Z690 motherboards, and have not noticed any issues with clearance.

Which water block are you using?

Uno61385
Level 8
I was also hoping to find out where the cmos battery is located on this motherboard. For some reason this thread is showing all blank replies.

EDIT: Ok after refreshing the forum and reloading the thread I can see and read all the replies, that was weird.

Kevino1234
Level 7

For the ROG STRIX X570-I Gaming motherboard, the RTC CMOS battery is located on top of the group of ports just to the left of the Wi-Fi Antenna ports. It is packaged in shrink wrap and held there with strong two sided foam tape. Battery type is 3V Lithium CR2032 with 6.5cm long cable with Molex 51021 2pin female connector, pin one positive. Access the backside of the motherboard to remove 2 screws securing the back half of the VRM heatsink assembly. You may need to remove the board from the chassis to get at that.  Then remove the NVME heatsink, VRM fan screen, and rear I/O top cover/bracket. Being careful not to damage the cable for the VRM fan, gently remove the top half of the VRM heatsink assembly. The RTC CMOS Battery is now visible. It's cable is taped down and the battery is in heat shrink package.