cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 1304 (and 1302) UEFI Z690 Hero: Fail to resume from S3/S4

Brigman
Level 9
Hi all,

As per header, have noticed an issue on my system on the new 1304 and previous 1302 beta UEFIs:

Putting the system to hibernate (S4) (as well as, I think, sleep/S3) and the system will fail to resume. Attempting to resume from S4 sees the system hang on a Q-Code of 0x97 - every time.

System is stable - and in any case I've tried starting it with default CPU and memory settings - same problem. Have checked the card seating and that hasn't changed anything - not that I'd expect it to, because flashing back to 1003 immediately restores reliable operation.

Anyone else experienced similar - or have any ideas on potential solutions? System spec as per <--.

Thanks for any pointers/hints!:cool:
6 REPLIES 6

Falkentyne
Level 12
Brigman wrote:
Hi all,

As per header, have noticed an issue on my system on the new 1304 and previous 1302 beta UEFIs:

Putting the system to hibernate (S4) (as well as, I think, sleep/S3) and the system will fail to resume. Attempting to resume from S4 sees the system hang on a Q-Code of 0x97 - every time.

System is stable - and in any case I've tried starting it with default CPU and memory settings - same problem. Have checked the card seating and that hasn't changed anything - not that I'd expect it to, because flashing back to 1003 immediately restores reliable operation.

Anyone else experienced similar - or have any ideas on potential solutions? System spec as per <--.

Thanks for any pointers/hints!:cool:

I tested Sleep (S3?) on my Maximus Extreme just now on 1304 and it resumed fine after a minute or so of sleep.
RTX 3090 FE with fast boot disabled.

Isn't Qcode 97 an error with VGA/video BIOS initialization?

Brigman
Level 9
Thanks for the quick reply @Falkentyne, flashed back to 1304 to check again, and resume from sleep/S3 *does* seem to work okay (at least a couple of times). It's resume from hibernate/S4, specifically, that is the problem.

0x97 Q-Code is officially "Console output devices connect". There seems to be some received wisdom that it's graphics card related but unsure if that is confirmed - or whether there are other components under that code. "Output devices" potentially includes a range of items.

After it hangs on initial recovery from S4, it *will* resume correctly after a stab of the reset button. So it's not a major problem but it's a completely consistent one. And a pest at the moment as I'm routinely using S4 due to a peripheral that (hopefully temporarily) doesn't like resuming from S3.

I've checked what it does when the hybrid aspect of hybrid sleep is leveraged too (i.e. it more or less becomes a resume from S4). Put system to sleep, turn mains off, wait, turn on, power button... and it resumes correctly.

So there is something specifically wrong with the way it's resuming from a hibernate cycle that is odd.

The lack of verbosity in Asus' release notes doesn't help working out what might be causing it.

Brigman
Level 9
Okay further update on this, for anyone else who runs into this problem, I've found out a way to fix it.

If I enable the iGPU, the system *will*, now, resume from S4 correctly. As soon as I disable it again, resume from S4 breaks.

All of this despute already having the primary graphics manually set to PEG Slot (I've tried setting that to auto, with no change in behaviour)

It shouldn't be necessary to have the iGPU enabled all the time simply to get the system to resume from hibernation. This has all the hallmarks of a bug - it wasn't an issue until 1302 came along.

Anyone know the best/most efficient way to report a problem back to Asus? A support ticket, or...?

Brigman wrote:
Okay further update on this, for anyone else who runs into this problem, I've found out a way to fix it.

If I enable the iGPU, the system *will*, now, resume from S4 correctly. As soon as I disable it again, resume from S4 breaks.

All of this despute already having the primary graphics manually set to PEG Slot (I've tried setting that to auto, with no change in behaviour)

It shouldn't be necessary to have the iGPU enabled all the time simply to get the system to resume from hibernation. This has all the hallmarks of a bug - it wasn't an issue until 1302 came along.

Anyone know the best/most efficient way to report a problem back to Asus? A support ticket, or...?

Thanks for the comment about how to resolve this. I have run into this fail-to-resume problem since updating my Z690 Maximus Extreme to 1304.

I contacted ASUS support and after confirming the issue persists with factory defaults, told me to downgrade my BIOS. At least the case was documented? Maybe additional contact regarding the same issue will raise an alarm.

Brigman
Level 9
Thanks for the post eraserking.

Can you tell us a bit more about this problem? Was it also a fail to resume from S4, or S3/something else?

Also was your iGPU enabled when it first manifested? And if not, did enabling it make any difference?

Brigman
Level 9
Further update on this one, and good news: It's fixed in UEFI 1403. Thanks Asus engineers! 🙂