cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Watchdog Timer Utility is not supported on your current platform

JeffroMan
Level 9
I have a ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboard and am attempting to install the Intel Watchdog Timer Utility for use with Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility. I have Windows 11 Home and keep Windows and all drivers up to date. I get the error message as shown in the subject. I get this same result when attempting to run it after downloading from the Microsoft Store and from the Intel Download Center. I don't know why it's not supported on my hardware and don't know what the solution is.
9 REPLIES 9

world
Hey JeffroMan,

Have you ever had this program working on your computer?

It looks like the Intel Watchdog Timer Utility on the Microsoft Store is made for Intel NUC platforms, so that might be a reason why it doesn't work.

I'm on Ryzen, so can't verify this, but this old thread may help:

INTEL XTU ON WIN10 INTEL WATCHDOG ISN'T INSTALLED!! PROBLEM!!

It suggests uninstalling XTU, then reinstalling via right click and run as administrator. I don't know if the Z690 boards support the watchdog feature, but the XTU installer is supposed to install the driver for it, and no watchdog driver could be the problem.

world wrote:
Hey JeffroMan,

Have you ever had this program working on your computer?

It looks like the Intel Watchdog Timer Utility on the Microsoft Store is made for Intel NUC platforms, so that might be a reason why it doesn't work.

I use the XTU utility often but never had the watch dog timer driver installed. I didn't even know what the Intel NUC platform is until I just now looked it up.

There is no driver installed for the System Timer as reported by Device Manager. When clicking on Update Driver, Window reports that the best drivers for that device are already installed. It's my understanding that having the Intel WatchDog timer increases functionality of the Xtreme Tuning Utility.

JeffroMan wrote:
I use the XTU utility often but never had the watch dog timer driver installed. I didn't even know what the Intel NUC platform is until I just now looked it up.

There is no driver installed for the System Timer as reported by Device Manager. When clicking on Update Driver, Window reports that the best drivers for that device are already installed. It's my understanding that having the Intel WatchDog timer increases functionality of the Xtreme Tuning Utility.

I uninstalled then installed the latest version of XTU. Rebooted. Still no Watchdog present:

JeffroMan wrote:
I uninstalled then installed the latest version of XTU. Rebooted. Still no Watchdog present:

Also I searched through CMOS set up (UEFI) for "timer" and "watchdog", "watch dog", and nothing was found. I read in a few places that the presence of the watchdog timer is determined by a setting in BIOS.

I was looking around for the same situation as you, I have the exact same motherboard and when installing XTU for the first time it showed an error about the watchdog timer failing (can't remember what it said). Looking at the Watchdog section however mine says it failed. I have attempted to reinstall XTU to no success, so not sure if it can be installed or how critical it is if its not installed (sorry I'm new to OC). If this this watchdog is incompatible with this motherboard then does that mean XTU will not work and the only way to OC is through the BIOS?

tawzzer
Level 8
Did you get any further with this? I am having the same issue, I am wanting XTU to apply the OC at start up, but the option isn't there because of this watchdog nonsense. I've probably read all the same posts as you on-line, Intel themselves just seem to give the same stock answer, that it's a setting in BIOS, but as you say if you search EUFI for watchdog or timer or any variation of them, it brings back nothing. I've yet to even find out what the hell watchdog timer even is, no one seems to know.

Chris_ASUS
Level 7

I am having the same issue - but I do have a potential root cause as well. Tried re-installing XTU multiple times, updated all drivers but nothing did resolve / change the issue at all. Then I tried, as a last attempt, to upgrade my BIOS from version 2403 to version 2703. That resulted in all settings being reset and all profiles lost - on the other hand after restarting the PC, with default settings, the Watchdog was present and changes in XTU (e.g. voltages or core frequencies were available after a restart.

Then I activated the XMP profile in the ASUS BIOS and, all of a sudden "Watchdog Present" went to false again. Thus it seems that there is a glitch in the ASUS BIOS causing the watchdog no longer being availabel when deviating from the optimized default values in the ASUS BIOS.

So I am concerned we will have to deal with the confusing BIOS interface to do some overclocking (even the simple steps) - might be me used to the BIOS of a competitor but I hardly could find where I can activate the XMP profile.