cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Memory Stress Test

wing_man
Level 7
I found Intel ETU memory stress test works well at finding memory issues. I enabled xmp 1 and ran the MemTest86 in the bios and it passed. I then booted and ran Intel stress test and it failed. I Then set all the voltage values suggested in the ROG Z690 Overclocking Guide for Samsung memory plus the xmp 1. I rebooted and ran the Intel stress test again and it passed. I then ran some games and every thing was fine. I shut down and restarted the PC and ran the Intel stress test again and the test froze. I wondering if there is a problem with the bios on start up after making bios changes. Has anybody else seen this behavior?
6 REPLIES 6

Chainbold
Level 11
wing_man wrote:
I found Intel ETU memory stress test works well at finding memory issues. I enabled xmp 1 and ran the MemTest86 in the bios and it passed. I then booted and ran Intel stress test and it failed. I Then set all the voltage values suggested in the ROG Z690 Overclocking Guide for Samsung memory plus the xmp 1. I rebooted and ran the Intel stress test again and it passed. I then ran some games and every thing was fine. I shut down and restarted the PC and ran the Intel stress test again and the test froze. I wondering if there is a problem with the bios on start up after making bios changes. Has anybody else seen this behavior?

I think the point is that the Intel memory test is checking the stability of the RAM under actual working conditions, while memtest is checking whether the RAM is faultfree. If the Intel memory test is crashing/freezing the system, it's not stable at/with the given voltages and timings.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Memtest86 whilst does stress test stability and is great for checking in a safe environment, it simply isn't stringent enough. I would always recommend using an OS-based tool after confirming stability from the UEFI.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Adrian1983
Level 11
wing_man wrote:

Hey this is interesting also because I have literally just done what you did when I set this system up ran memtest to test for stability after overclocking my 12900K and 2x 16GB Crucial ram and it passed after a few tweaks of timings and voltage and has been fine for gaming as far as I could tell however I just ran Intel XTU memory stress test and it locked my system up within 5 mins lol, A couple of bumps of the DRAM Voltage and hey presto been running Intel memory stress test for over 2 hours now so while my system seemed stable it obviously was not as that test just proved so thanks for this!

Adrian1983 wrote:
Hey this is interesting also because I have literally just done what you did when I set this system up ran memtest to test for stability after overclocking my 12900K and 2x 16GB Crucial ram and it passed after a few tweaks of timings and voltage and has been fine for gaming as far as I could tell however I just ran Intel XTU memory stress test and it locked my system up within 5 mins lol, A couple of bumps of the DRAM Voltage and hey presto been running Intel memory stress test for over 2 hours now so while my system seemed stable it obviously was not as that test just proved so thanks for this!

Was / is the CPU overlocked or at default?

Chainbold wrote:
Was / is the CPU overlocked or at default?

CPU is overclocked slightly yes with adaptive voltage.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

There are a number of OS based stress tests that will surpass Memtest86+ for stringency. I normally advise to check stability with Memtest86 briefly to ensure that the memory isn't unstable enough to corrupt the operating system.

I'd recommend using Karhu RAM Test or TM5. Freezing during stressing the memory subsystem can often be VCCSA isn't tuned sufficiently for the applied overclock.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090