cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel ME - We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 16.1.25.2020 simulta

reddeath
Level 9
The latest ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 BIOS 0703 comes with recommendation:

"3. We suggest updating the ME firmware to the latest version 16.1.25.2020"

The corresponding ME firmware update comes with recommendation:

"*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 16.1.25.2020 simultaneously."

My questions are:
1. What is the order of installing of the 3 items mentioned above, assuming a new build with factory BIOS 0502?
2. Where do I get the "latest Version 16.1.25.2020" ME Driver from? What version is it really supposed to be?
3. How can one update firmware and driver "simultaneously"?
12 REPLIES 12

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

From my threads :

1) Update your Intel MEI Drivers to the last :

2) Update your Intel ME Firmware to the last :

Or from your motherboard support page :

1) Update your Intel MEI Drivers to the last (but it's not the version corresponding to the version working in tandem with Intel ME firmware v16.1.25.2020) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/M3887/Intel_MEI_V2220.3.1.0_Windows_11_64-bit.zip

2) Update your Intel ME Firmware to the last (the Firmware PHY S is older than the version I offer) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.2020_T.zip

Then install your latest BIOS : 0703 or 0801 RC.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

From my threads :

1) Update your Intel MEI Drivers to the last :

2) Update your Intel ME Firmware to the last :

Or from your motherboard support page :

1) Update your Intel MEI Drivers to the last (but it's not the version corresponding to the version working in tandem with Intel ME firmware v16.1.25.2020) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/M3887/Intel_MEI_V2220.3.1.0_Windows_11_64-bit.zip

2) Update your Intel ME Firmware to the last (the Firmware PHY S is older than the version I offer) : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/MEUpdateTool_16.1.25.2020_T.zip

Then install your latest BIOS : 0703 or 0801 RC.

Thank you for reply.

Could you please kindly clarify what is the ME Driver version that should work in tandem with ME Firmware Version 16.1.25.2020?

What is the relationship between the drivers available on the Asus download page for my motherboard and the drivers you are linking to?
Why are you recommending another ME Firmware than what the ASUS download page has?

reddeath wrote:
Thank you for reply.

Could you please kindly clarify what is the ME Driver version that should work in tandem with ME Firmware Version 16.1.25.2020?

This one : 2229.3.2.0 WHQL (either via my thread linked previously or via this ASUS link : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B....)

reddeath wrote:
What is the relationship between the drivers available on the Asus download page for my motherboard and the drivers you are linking to?
Why are you recommending another ME Firmware than what the ASUS download page has?

I just give you the choices available to you and the difference between what I offer and what is offered on your motherboard support page.

MoKiChU wrote:
This one : 2229.3.2.0 WHQL (either via my thread linked previously or via this ASUS link : https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B....)

When I compare the contents of the zip packages from the ASUS download link and yours for the 2229.3.2.0 ME driver, there is a difference - your packages has fewer folders and driver files inside them are not present in your package.

I am fine with trying drivers from other sources than ASUS, but when it comes to firmware, I feel very uneasy about it. How do you validate the firmware and drivers you provide? Can you guarantee that your ME Firmware will not brick my motherboard in any capacity? Are you associated in any way with ASUS R&D?

Thanks for your help MoKiChU and keep up the good work. Can you clear up a question please?

When I look on the Z690 Hero and Z790 Hero support pages, different versions of ME firmware and Windows drivers are offered (latest ME firmware v16.1.25.2020 on the 790 support page and v16.1.25.1885 on the 690 support page).

I'm tempted to try installing the latest firmware/drivers from the 790 page on the Z690, but is that safe? If it is, why do ASUS not update all of their support pages at the same time? It seems strange to me, unless the flash software has to be motherboard specific?

Thank you.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Thanks for your help MoKiChU and keep up the good work. Can you clear up a question please?

When I look on the Z690 Hero and Z790 Hero support pages, different versions of ME firmware and Windows drivers are offered (latest ME firmware v16.1.25.2020 on the 790 support page and v16.1.25.1885 on the 690 support page).

I'm tempted to try installing the latest firmware/drivers from the 790 page on the Z690, but is that safe? If it is, why do ASUS not update all of their support pages at the same time? It seems strange to me, unless the flash software has to be motherboard specific?

Thank you.

Hi,

It is more optimal to use an Intel ME firmware version equal to or newer than the Intel ME firmware version around which the BIOS is built. So :

- If you are using BIOS 2103 (built around the Intel ME firmware v16.1.25.1885) : You can update your Intel ME firmware to v16.1.25.2020.

- If you want to install BIOS 2201 RC (built around the Intel ME firmware v16.1.25.2020) : You must update your Intel ME firmware to v16.1.25.2020.

Very helpful thank you. So just out of interest, the flash software to update ME firmware is not motherboard specific?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

MoKiChU
Level 40
reddeath wrote:
When I compare the contents of the zip packages from the ASUS download link and yours for the 2229.3.2.0 ME driver, there is a difference - your packages has fewer folders and driver files inside them are not present in your package.

- DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B\Drivers : Contains the same number of drivers as my drivers packages that I offer (contains Intel MEI Driver and only the imposed DAL, ICLS & WMI SWC drivers).

- DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B\SetupME.exe : Drivers & Software Package installer which contains Intel MEI Driver and all the imposed SWC drivers (DAL, ICLS & WMI) but also 2 SWC drivers & 1 Ext optional drivers and unnecessary for most consumer users (SOL & WIMAN Ext+SWC)

reddeath wrote:
I am fine with trying drivers from other sources than ASUS, but when it comes to firmware, I feel very uneasy about it. How do you validate the firmware and drivers you provide? Can you guarantee that your ME Firmware will not brick my motherboard in any capacity? Are you associated in any way with ASUS R&D?

I am a user like you, I'm not associated in any way with ASUS staff. Although I can understand your legitimate reluctance, if I didn't offer what I offer, for example the weekend of the release of Raptor Lake would have been a disaster for many because I determined the root cause and allowed to save not bad situation without immediate official solution, and even beyond the ROG forum sphere (some will probably be able to testify). And I'm not even talking about motherboards that are no longer supported by ASUS.

Anyway, as I told you previously I just give you the choices available to you, no one is forcing you to do anything and i'm not selling anything (I do everything I do out of passion, I do not ask for any donation), so just stick with what comes from your support page if you feel very uneasy.

MoKiChU wrote:
- DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B\Drivers : Contains the same number of drivers as my drivers packages that I offer (contains Intel MEI Driver and only the imposed DAL, ICLS & WMI SWC drivers).

- DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_ADL_TP_W11_64_V2229320_20220809B\SetupME.exe : Drivers & Software Package installer which contains Intel MEI Driver and all the imposed SWC drivers (DAL, ICLS & WMI) but also 2 SWC drivers & 1 Ext optional drivers and unnecessary for most consumer users (SOL & WIMAN Ext+SWC)

I am a user like you, I'm not associated in any way with ASUS staff. Although I can understand your legitimate reluctance, if I didn't offer what I offer, for example the weekend of the release of Raptor Lake would have been a disaster for many because I determined the root cause and allowed to save not bad situation without immediate official solution, and even beyond the ROG forum sphere (some will probably be able to testify). And I'm not even talking about motherboards that are no longer supported by ASUS.

Anyway, as I told you previously I just give you the choices available to you, no one is forcing you to do anything and i'm not selling anything (I do everything I do out of passion, I do not ask for any donation), so just stick with what comes from your support page if you feel very uneasy.

To be clear, I'm also a user and I'm not affiliated with Asus. But I have used the firmware linked by MoKiChU and I've solved my issues with the Core i9 13900K and its iGPU. He helped lot of people here so we can assume he posts safe stuff. 🙂