cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) won't start due to undervolt not being enabled (but it is)

anubis2k9
Level 8

Hi,

I have a ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI motherboard and am having an issue with Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility.

Specifically, I can't get it to start. When I try it said that it isn't compatible with VBS (Virtualization Based Security). It also complains that I need to enable undervolt protection. I did do just that in my bios.

Is there anything else I can do to get XTU to work? Or is it just straight up incompatible with VBS?

3 REPLIES 3

Hopper64
Level 15

In windows go to windows security and then device security. There should be memory integrity under core isolation. Turn off memory integrity and reboot. My XTU only works when memory integrity is off. Remember to reenable it after running XTU to be safe if that’s important to you.

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

anubis2k9
Level 8

So, according to this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000093813/processors/processor-utilities-an...

"Intel® XTU is incompatible with Windows VBS if Undervolt Protection is not enabled in BIOS. Undervolt Protection is only available for 12th Generation and newer."

meaning that it can run with VBS if undervolt protection is enabled, unless I'm reading that wrong. So either there's a setting in Windows I need to configure, or OS isn't reading the bios correctly, as I understand it.

Torreybardin94
Level 7

Do you have enable under-voltage protection on? 

also enable spd write for memory tuning with xtu, and prob always safe to test results against a single dimm config. 

xmp1 then load maximums gear tweak 1 then 2. Test each, same for xmp 2 and tweaked xmp 3

i do not change memory timings from OS, though some do. The higher ram amount (anything more thwn 16/32) is like not to run at max speeds