Microsoft recommend to the Ethernet controllers manufacturer the use of NetAdapterCx
drivers type and not NDIS
drivers type (legacy) for Windows 11 :
- Realtek has decided to totally comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Realtek use NetAdapterCx drivers type with Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit or not (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).
- Intel has decided to partially comply with Microsoft's recommendation : Intel use NetAdapterCx drivers type only with the the combination Windows 11 + Ethernet controllers exceeding gigabit like Intel I225-V/I226-V (the Windows 10/NDIS drivers type remain Windows 11 compatible for a specific use incompatible with NetAdapterCx).
- Marvell/Aquantia has decided to ignore Microsoft's recommendation : Marvell only use NDIS drivers type (legacy) with Windows 10 & Windows 11 for all Ethernet controllers.
Then each motherboard manufacturer does as it sees fit regarding the drivers it offers to its customers.
So, to coming back to your case (Intel I225-V Ethernet 2.5GbE controllers) :
- If you are using Windows 10 : There is no choice to make, you must use Windows 10/NDIS Drivers (1.x.x.xx).
- If you are using Windows 11 : I recommend that you try Windows 11/NetAdapterCx Drivers (2.x.x.xx) type first and switch to Windows 10/NDIS Drivers (1.x.x.xx) type only if you have an issue :
Windows 11/NetAdapterCx Drivers (2.x.x.xx)
: More efficient than NDIS drivers type because of more low level access to the controller than NDIS drivers type, but can generate side effects due to the non-support of NetAdapterCx by other apps or system addons features. If you encounter any issue with NetAdapterCx drivers type, switch to the NDIS drivers type.
https://learn.microsoft.com/windows-hardware/drivers/netcx/Windows 10/NDIS Drivers (1.x.x.xx)
: NDIS drivers type is the legacy drivers type used for all other Intel Ethernet gigabit controllers drivers whether for Windows 10 drivers or Windows 11 drivers, this drivers type will give you better stability/compatibility.
Also for information, You need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme