cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTEL DRV+WIN11 sabotaging ASUS BIOS 2201/2203?

TZero
Level 8
Hey guys.

I may be crazy but I think something very wrong is happening in windows 11 (22H2) and INTEL processor drivers regarding E-CORES limits on INTEL 13900KF / ASUS Z690 FORMULA (BIOS 2201 + current ME firm and MEI driver).

It all started when I installed the 13900KF on my Z690 and noticed, through HWINFO beta version 7.33-4915, INTEL XTU version 7.9.1.3 and CinebenchR23 that, even trying ALL THE BIOS SETTINGS my E-CORES reached a maximum of 3.5Ghz (even the BIOS and all programs saying it would arrive at 4.3Ghz for all E-CORES). My processor score is 110-P and 88-E (102-SP)

I re-flashed the BIOS, tried all possible configurations and all I had to do was RMA the processor.
I bought another one, "cleaned" the BIOS, installed it and.....guess what........same problem (even using AI SETUP - 5.9Ghz+4.3Ghz with TVB of +2). The P-Cores reached 6.1ghz but the E-Cores only up to 3.5ghz.

As a last attempt before blowing up my PC, I went into the Win11 power settings and switched from "balanced" to "performance".

Immediately my HWINFO showed the maximum of all P and E cores, consuming the same energy (I have meters) as before. Cinebench23 balanced = 33.838 / Cinebench performance = 40.688

What I want to ask is if this happens to anyone else here......

I would like you to test the processor speed in "balanced" and "performance" power mode to see if the frequencies change and what Cinebench23 score.

If this is happening, it's a sign that the processor driver or windows itself ARE NOT letting the BIOS and Intel XTU manage the processor.

To make it easier, I suggest using windows energy profiles or, through REGEDIT:

- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm

- In the START field, change the HEXA value of "3" (balanced) to "4" (performance).

Restart the computer.
3 REPLIES 3

TZero
Level 8
I also tested the 3 Windows power modes:

- in ECONOMY it limits P-CORES to 2.2Ghz
- in BALANCE it limits E-CORES to 3.5Ghz
- in PERFORMANCE it releases all limits defined in BIOS

If this is not a BUG (Intel or Microsoft) I don't know what is......

TZero wrote:
I also tested the 3 Windows power modes:

- in ECONOMY it limits P-CORES to 2.2Ghz
- in BALANCE it limits E-CORES to 3.5Ghz
- in PERFORMANCE it releases all limits defined in BIOS

If this is not a BUG (Intel or Microsoft) I don't know what is......

Tu pourrais m'envoyer le lien de ton bios formula Z690 2201. Thx

cecedu76450 wrote:
Tu pourrais m'envoyer le lien de ton bios formula Z690 2201. Thx

BETA BIOS 2203

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources