cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In my motherboard bios, VMD is enabled, is this default, i wont be running raid, so can......

Daytrader
Level 11

So do i disable VMD, would like to know before i install windows 11, i have two M.2 drives installed, and my motherboard is Asus ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WIFI, thx

13 REPLIES 13

JohnAb
Level 17

Best to leave it enabled, even without RAID. VMD gives error isolation from the Host OS, hot-plug and and removal support. It isn't just for RAID, so VMD is the new way that Intel manages drive support.​ It should be enabled by default anyway. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thx for reply, just every where over the web says disable unless running raid, did not think that was true if enabled by default, i take it my install will still be uefi when i get around to installing win 11 ? thx

You can turn it off, sure, but my understanding is that it adds functionality, even if not using RAID. That's MoKiChU's advice and he knows more about drivers than pretty much anybody else.

Yes, UEFI is the modern version of the old BIOS. It's been the standard for about 10 years now. Most people still call it the BIOS. They should have come up with a shorter acronym, then it might have caught on, lol. Normally, you would use a GPT disk layout on your OS drive with UEFI. Windows will sort that all out automatically when you install it. There is another disk layout called MBR, but that's rarely used nowadays unless it's an older system. Just let Windows install and do it's thing. If you remove all partitions before installing Windows, then you will certainly be on UEFI and GPT.  

My settings are on defaults as follows, I just checked:

Enable VMD Controller = Enabled

Map PCIE Storage Under VMD = Disabled

MAP SATA Controller under VMD = Disabled

This has now got me thinking that with the 2nd and 3rd options being off, then perhaps VMD is not being used anyway? Regardless, those are the default settings and they work perfectly for me, I'm also not using RAID.  

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thx for that detailed reply, i really appreciate it, one other thing i think i read somewhere, was that if VMD is enabled, i wont be able to use the western digital software for my two WD BLACK SN850X M.2 drives, can you confirm this maybe ? thx

Sorry, really don't know about that...

Oh, hang on, I've used that software and it works fine for me. I've had no issues whatsoever, either hardware or software.

Ok, great to know.

VinX
Level 7

I purchased this laptop brand new and VMD is set to Enabled by default even though I am not running any drives in a RAID config and  do not have any desire to do so, honestly.  I am running Windrows 11 Home Edition, but wanted to dual boot with Windows 7, but have learned the VMD drivers, which are dependant even at the initial stages of installing the OS (also true with a Windows 11 install) are not available for Windows 7 and Intel has not made any concerns of ever rectifying that, at least not publicly.

I am unsure of the potential chaos which may occur if I were to Disable the setting in BIOS and proceed with an install of Win7, so I have not done so, but at the very least, I would image a necessity to reinstall Windows 11 under a different  setup setting.  Can anyone confirm or deny that?  Also, if there is a way to successfully dual boot Win7/11, please show guidance.

jacksonlab
Level 9

Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD) is specifically designed for enterprise-grade management of NVMe SSDs connected to Intel® Xeon® CPUs. Each Root Port consists of a x16 grouping of Intel® Xeon® PCIe lanes that create a single Intel® VMD Domain. Root Ports act like an integrated HBA to provide a robust foundation for supporting the NVMe ecosystem with the below functionality:

• Error isolation from the Host OS
  • Hot-plug and surprise removal support
  • Standardized LED Management
  • Bootable RAID

I personally disable VMD in the bios.  Absolutely unnecessary for home personal pc use.  But hey everyone's needs/uses are different.  Read about it and decide if that is something that is essential to your needs.

Thx for reply, i think i will leave disabled as well, thx