Level 7
First of all I summarize my components:
Asus Rog Maximus z790 Hero motherboard
Micro i9-13900KS
RAM Team Group 7600 Mhz XMP1
Storage: WD Black SN850X 2Tb
Graphics: Asus RTX 4090
Liquid Cooling: Asus 360mm

Well my question is related to my BIOS configuration, I started with a stock configuration in which the fixed speed of the micro was fixed at 5600 and at one point I decided to change it to squeeze the micro a little. Before clarifying that my knowledge about O.C. They are quite limited, if not null. I chose an optimized Ai CPU configuration, I think it's called that, and this caused the micro to go up to 6200 Mhz, fluctuating from I think 5600 to those 6200, initially everything was perfect, but that's where my problems began, browsing both Egde and Chrome , the pages were destabilized with an error message and the programs, when executed, were not fully loaded and were not executed, those that were loaded at a certain moment fell. As a patch, download Al Suite 3 from Asus, to define 3 profiles with a maximum of MHZ to run the desktop, navigation and another to run certain applications.
To say that my previous computer was an i9-9900 K, where my overclocking was very simple, fixed CPU ratio for all cores and I had no problems, now I think I understand what is happening, but in depth I have no idea.
I would appreciate your opinions, conclusions and advice.
Thanks for your interest.
3 REPLIES 3

JohnAb
Level 17
There are lots of overclocking guides if you want to try that, but you might need to change a number of settings and voltages in the BIOS.

If your knowledge is limited at this point, I would suggest that you set the BIOS back to default values and then if that works OK, try turning on XMP in BIOS to increase your memory speed. Again, if everything is stable, then that's really all you need to do at the simplest level. If not, turn XMP off again and then start reading about memory settings. You have a great CPU, RAM and GPU, so basic settings should give you a super fast system anyway. The automatic AI overclocking is a good idea, but it's not guaranteed to work every time and sometimes, further adjustments are needed.

The best way to proceed is first to find settings that are stable for you, make a note of them and take it from there. Also run some memory tests using MemTest86 in the BIOS menu with XMP off and then do it again with XMP turned on. Then you will know if your memory is running stable.

If you still want to overclock after that, then that's all good, but best read some guides, watch some videos etc. If you have specific questions once you have tried, then I think it will be easier for people to help you... you will then be able to describe what you tried and what happened.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Friend, thanks again for your interest. The question that is on my mind is to know if a high frequency such as 6200 Mhz is a cause for problems browsing the Internet and for failing to execute programs. I assume that the memory should not cause problems since I chose one that comes in the PDF of the board, although I do not rule out that a high speed and a memory with an XMP profile could be a combination of problems like the ones I am talking about. When I did some OC with my previous CPU it was relatively simple since you chose a value for all the cores and monitor the temperatures, now I don't know for sure what causes the instability and what would be the best option to avoid it. Right now with Ai suite, I have created 3 profiles to avoid this at 5800, 5900 does not generate any problem at 6000 or more the failures begin.

JohnAb
Level 17
Ok, I understand now. Well, it looks like the 13900KS can go up to 6.0 GHz max turbo frequency with Intel Thermal Velocity Boost. I think you've probably just reached the frequency limit for your particular CPU using AI auto tuning. You could probably get it stable at 6000, or even higher if you want to make manual BIOS adjustments, but I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble and I couldn't advise you on the detail. Remember that it will be generating more heat and using more energy, so your decision.

Other people here with your CPU will know more than I do and be able to provide advice, but I'm pretty confident in saying that the faster you go, then higher chances of poor stability and errors. You'd have to start doing extended stability tests if that's what you want. Many people do enjoy overclocking.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.