cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've changed from 12900k to a 13900k Z690E and I'm having issues, please help

PSYKOnz
Level 9
Hi there, like the title says I've swapped CPUs on my Maximus z690 Extreme, all I've changed is the CPU, everything else is identical, now I'm getting system servise exception BSODs I've followed every step dicm/sfc etc and getting nowhere

Before the CPU swap I updated the ME to Version 16.1.25.2020

And updated the bios to

Started with everything default then turned off the enhanced multicore thing, turned on the power state thing and enabled the duel GPU/CPU video output

I also ran a memtest 86 immediately after enabling XMP1, it passed no trouble

What's weird is that during my trouble shooting there came a point when the PC just locked up, I had to hold the power switch to recover it, after re booting I did a chkdsk, rebooted again so it could happen then the next time I logged in there was a strange stutter every couple of seconds

Another reboot fixed that, but I'm really lost as to what is going on

What am I missing here?

The PC was incredibly stable before I switchd the CPUs now it seems that it's unstable as anything

Willing to try anything

Please help, I really need it
12 REPLIES 12

JohnAb
Level 17
I can only think of three things to suggest right now...

Somebody else on here was having memory issues with 2204 the other day and when they went back to 2004 their memory was stable again. I don't think they tried 2103. They left ME on 16.1.25.2020. Maybe this is memory related, so you could try the same. Did you upgrade to 2004 just before the CPU upgrade? Are you sure that the system was stable on 2204 with your old processor? I don't believe that problems with 2204 are common, but your problem could be BIOS related and not CPU related.

There could be tiny specks of dirt under your CPU, try carefully checking for any contamination in the socket and on the base of the CPU

A reinstall of Windows is something else you could try.

I don't really have any other ideas at the moment, so perhaps one of the above might work. If you could supply your full system specs, it might be easier for somebody that has had a similar problem to help you as well...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

pndiode
Level 11
Are we talking to a 12900K or 13900K? Let me check!

You can try reinstalling or updating the Intel Chipset drivers.

PSYKOnz
Level 9
I ended up reinstalling windows, which seems to have cured it for now.

it was stable as a rock on the 12900k and had been for months leading up to the switch, with no issues at all. I did the update to 2204 about a fortnight before doing the swap, again all ran fine. post switch all the problems started, one thing I did not was in the device manager I could see "alder lake" drivers in there and no raptor lake ones, so I figured that was where the issues started, reinstall solved the problem... kind of

I've been setting up the pc for 2 days now and it's been stable as and had no crashes. everything is up and running.

however, I have some issues.

first is that on heavy games or CPU usage, I'm getting a weird noise from the pc, one that sort of sounds like the noise old HDDs used to make when being read/write to or from, at least that's the closest description I have, because I only have SSD or M.2 drives in this pc it can't be an old hdd haha

the next issue is that HWInfo shows at times that the CPU P cores drop their clocks down to 1,900mhz, then see seem to float around anywhere between 1,900 and 5,500mhz, E cores do the same between 800mhz and 4,300, my alder lake 12900k just sat at 5,200 the entire time, so I'm not sure if that is normal or not, it does mean it idols between 28-35 degrees so that's nice, I should note that any time actual work is needed to be done they hit full clock, just drops at idol or under a light load

I only have had that weird stutter glitch thing happen once and that was after putting in a massive load of drivers and USB devices into it, again restart fixed it and I've had no issues since

also, my armory crate information page shows the E cores above the P cores so that's a bit weird

and last of all if I right-click on an image I get "shelledit" or "shellcreatevideo" options instead of just "edit" and "create video"

so all in all, its running and handles stuff pretty well, however, there are problems, but I'm trying to tackle them one at a time

the weird sound and the CPU clocks are my first priority

hoping someone here can shed some light on it for me

RogScott
Level 12
No idea on the noise. Could there be a fan hitting a wire bundle or something?

For the clocks -- Check your Windows power plan. The default "balanced" will vary clocks, whereas "High performance" will keep them close to top speed. (There are bios settings that can lock these, too, but probably your windows re-install is the culprit.

The E-cores above P-cores in Armoury crate has been reported in other threads -- so I think that's just one of the issues with the latest AC version, and not related to your build.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z690-E, i9-12900k, 2x16 DDR5, 980pro nvme x3, Ryujin-II 360, Strix Animate-II, Evga 3090 ftw3

Humm. i am having the issues you are having with two i9 13900k cpus . I bought 3 mobos already thinking the problem was with the mobos. Also bought 2 brand new i9 13900k cpus. as well as 4 sets of 2x 32 DDR5-6400 ram sticks and the problems persist with "memory problems" and BSOD.

2 of the mobos were Asus Maximus Extreme Z790 and one Asus Maximus Hero Z790, tried them with 2 brand news i9 13900k cpus, and when i have gotten stable in one or 2 sticks of DDR5 6400, Intel XMP ready and after everything loads i get an "pc memory error" a longer error but no error code just says memory error. Then whether within 2-5 minutes or about an hour I get a BSOD. So it's possible the problems are not with the mobos but with the i9 13900k cpus. I tried two different and brand new cpus and having these problems you mentioned with both.

i though the issue could be a warped/bent pressure plate or the circuit board which could be happening in one or several batches of these Z790 mobos. But now that you mention having a stable system with i9 12900k and having the BSOD with the updated i9 13900k cpu, which i am also having, is possible the problem is with a batch or more of the i9 13900k cpus.

When you get into windows and everything loads do you get a message of "your pc has a memory problem"?

Luis00014 wrote:
Humm. i am having the issues you are having with two i9 13900k cpus . I bought 3 mobos already thinking the problem was with the mobos. Also bought 2 brand new i9 13900k cpus. as well as 4 sets of 2x 32 DDR5-6400 ram sticks and the problems persist with "memory problems" and BSOD.

2 of the mobos were Asus Maximus Extreme Z790 and one Asus Maximus Hero Z790, tried them with 2 brand news i9 13900k cpus, and when i have gotten stable in one or 2 sticks of DDR5 6400, Intel XMP ready and after everything loads i get an "pc memory error" a longer error but no error code just says memory error. Then whether within 2-5 minutes or about an hour I get a BSOD. So it's possible the problems are not with the mobos but with the i9 13900k cpus. I tried two different and brand new cpus and having these problems you mentioned with both.

i though the issue could be a warped/bent pressure plate or the circuit board which could be happening in one or several batches of these Z790 mobos. But now that you mention having a stable system with i9 12900k and having the BSOD with the updated i9 13900k cpu, which i am also having, is possible the problem is with a batch or more of the i9 13900k cpus.

When you get into windows and everything loads do you get a message of "your pc has a memory problem"?

Not since I bombed windows back to the stone age, I mem tested the hell out of it and found that my RAM running at 6000 only likes either no xmp or xmp2 the other xmp options caused issues

I'm on a Maximus extreme z690 mobo and up untill the re instal of windows I was getting all manor of blue screens and memory stability issues, even tho only changed CPU and nothing else, so to my thinking there's an issue where things are not talking nicely to each other in the setup

Have you tried a reinstall of windows? I've managed to get my system stable for now

RogScott wrote:
No idea on the noise. Could there be a fan hitting a wire bundle or something?

For the clocks -- Check your Windows power plan. The default "balanced" will vary clocks, whereas "High performance" will keep them close to top speed. (There are bios settings that can lock these, too, but probably your windows re-install is the culprit.

The E-cores above P-cores in Armoury crate has been reported in other threads -- so I think that's just one of the issues with the latest AC version, and not related to your build.

Brilliant idea! I'll take a look at those clocks and see if that fixes it,

As for the noise I know it's not a fan but I think I'll go old school, launch an application that makes it happen and then listen for where it comes from haha, if I can narrow it down I'll have a better idea!

PSYKOnz
Level 9
The power mode setting was it, flicked it to performance mode and instant it changed the clocks, changed back and ht did too

PSYKOnz
Level 9
Found out what the noise was, its mu PSU fan turning on and off, apparently the 12900k never took the PSU to that level of power draw, where as the 13900k most definitely does haha