cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly configure RAM - Strix Z690A not allowing ram speed

Plasmar
Level 7
Hi there,

I have a Strix Z690A and G. Skill DDR4-4400 Ram. The ram works at a speed of 2133 (default). When I enable AI/XMP in the bios and set the ram speed to 4400, the computer won't load. It does about 2 minutes of quick boots before it finally tells me to press F1 to enter bios and reset. I've also tried slower speeds (3600), but nothing works.

I also updated the bios to the latest version.

So my question is what can I do to enter all the ram timings manually or get the mobo to work properly?

Thanks for any help.
5 REPLIES 5

bscool
Level 11
If you are using a2 and b2 test each slot and memory stick 1 at a time to rule out bad/weak slot or memory module.

The little I have messed with gear 2 on z690 d4 it doesnt work very well. Better off running gear 1 for best performance/latency.

bscool wrote:
If you are using a2 and b2 test each slot and memory stick 1 at a time to rule out bad/weak slot or memory module.

The little I have messed with gear 2 on z690 d4 it doesnt work very well. Better off running gear 1 for best performance/latency.

Thank you. i will try that.

what do you mean by gear 1 an gear 2?

Plasmar wrote:
Thank you. i will try that.

what do you mean by gear 1 an gear 2?

https://youtu.be/7cQ-LF6V8lw?t=510

At 8:30 memory controller/dram freq ratio, that is for gear 1 and gear 2.

ahfoo
Level 13
May be I am wrong. For Z690DDR4series structure, the maximum ram speed will limit to 3600 (default 2133). Please correct me if I am wrong. If your RAM cannot work as reported speed via XMP. It will not work for sure unless you can work wonder by tweaking the motherboard. Unless proven the motherboard and for sure the motherboard causing you issue. I will consider your ram having compatibilities. Asus may provide QVL for guide line base on the what ram manufacturer provide. But I dont think Asus engineer will test different RAM kit with ram IC differences, version with different bios. Others manufacturer facing the same thing too. I can guarantee you that.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
For best performance you want to be in 1:1 or Gear 1. Enable XMP then select 3600MHz & 1:1 DRAM Freq Ratio and see if the system posts.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090