cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero problems

hdtvnut
Level 7
I waited until the backwards-capacitor problem was solved and bought a Z690 Hero from NE. The agent told me their latest stock was fine. I have nothing but trouble with overheating with this mobo. I bought a 12900KS and it would hardly run at default loaded with any multi-core stuff without hitting high 90's or 100. XTU stuff was too hot, and the "current/EDP Limit Throttle" was red most of the time. So I finally called Intel and the rep checked it online and decided I needed a replacement. It arrived and same, only worse. Not only won't run XTU stress or benchmark, But won't pass any benchmarks and shuts itself down after a time. I have thoroughly checked out the cooling system.

My question is, has anyone had other problems with the Hero? Do I need to RMA it? Or is there any other thing I should be looking at?
10 REPLIES 10

RedSector73
Level 12
What are you cooling it the CPU with ?
What case do you have the mobo setup in?

What airflow do you have going through the case and is it directed over the heatsinks or critical components?

RoGHoliday
Level 9
Is your cpu cooler possibly on it's way out?

hdtvnut
Level 7
The cooler system is an Optimus Signature V2, a EK xres100/D5 and a PE360 rad w/Noctuas . I don't have a flow meter, but I can see activity in the res. Not long ago, I had it apart, cleaned the V2 and replaced the coolant. I plan to take it apart again tonight to double check; hope that's the problem so an RMA is unnecessary.

RedSector73
Level 12
Seems like you have a decent setup for cooling this beast, what thermal paste are you using (not that I think it will make the difference either)

hdtvnut
Level 7
I eliminated the cooling system as a problem. I even tried a U14 instead, and the difference was what I expected. But the board is just way too hot.

I use KPx or Thermal Grizzly.

This is my fifth Asus board and it is sick. The mouse/keyboard dies within ten minutes with this replacement CPU; gonna have to change back to the K.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

You say you eliminated cooling as the problem, however ultimately that's all it can be. Sounds like a mounting issue or the block isn't particularly good at cooling this CPU. The former seems more likely, although the block was never initially designed for 1700 application.

Are you using a backplate, if so which?

Have you checked the pump is operating ok?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

You say you eliminated cooling as the problem, however ultimately that's all it can be. Sounds like a mounting issue or the block isn't particularly good at cooling this CPU. The former seems more likely, although the block was never initially designed for 1700 application.

Are you using a backplate, if so which?

Have you checked the pump is operating ok?

Thanks; you were right. I spent hours testing the first KS (94) this evening (which ran much cooler than the Intel replacement, going back to them). Optimus claimed the V2 would work fine on 1700. But I had to play with the washers under the mounting posts and discovered cooling was 3-4 deg better with five less thousands on one, and across from it five more thousands. My "lipstick smudge" test shows slightly improved symmetry. The heat is now livable.

The v2 easily covers the 1700

The pump is working.

I have a a square frame on the back of the board, but don't know whose. Need to investigate backplates, but probably need to mod case to fit one.

hdtvnut
Level 7
Decided the board is probably OK. Tom'sHardware review seems to come up with similar numbers. I think the transfer of heat is now good, but I might try the der8auer 1700 ILM replacement frame when it arrives. My present case makes changing the backplate on this Hero a chore.

Thank Heaven I wasn't stuck with the replacement KS Intel sent.

After consideration, I am going test a HK IV Pro in place of the Opt Sig. Watercool seems to be trying to keep up with the 1700 better. They have redesigned the Pro to better cover the 1700 and have an adapter kit and solid 1700 backplate. They plan to introduce a replacement coldplate to better match the slightly concave shape of the IHS under stress from the stock ILM.

I modified the original HK IV posts myself. Still waiting for the backplate (shipped) and the availability of the coldplate. Several options to experiment with, including another 360 in series and the frame.