cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*HELP* Completely New Build Using Maximus Z790 Extreme Motherboard AND 13900KS 13th Gen CPU

PhreakyPyro
Level 8

Here is a list of my pieces of hardware

CPU: Intel 13th Gen 13900KS
MotherBoard: Maximus Z790 Extreme
CPU Cooler: Asus Ryujin 2 ARGB
Ram: G-Skill DDR5-6400 32X4
O.S. Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1T
Bulk Storage: Samsun 980 Pro 2T x 2 (DIMM.2)
PSU: MEG Ai1300P PCIE5
GPU Asus Rog Strix 4090 OC Edition
O.S. Windows 11 Home
Case: Lian Li Dynamic EVO
Case Fans Lian Li Infinity Fans x 10

So my situation is this. I have bought all new parts for my rig. I have put everything together. I took my ASUS provided bios flash USB from my MOBO box and on my laptop I downloaded the bios update to the bios flash USB, renamed it, put the bios flash USB in the bios flash slot on the MOBO, pressed the bios flashback button, LCD screen on MOBO said bios flash successful. It seems I need to download and update the Intel ME to get the bios to accept the 13th gen CPU. How do I download the Intel ME without posting my computer? I do not know how to get the intel ME to download until I have windows to get to the download? I have wondered if I can somehow use my other desktop rig the CPU: Intel 8th Gen 8700k and MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E. I have thought about taking my NEW Samsung 990 Pro(Bought solely for my Boot drive on my new 13th gen/Z790 rig) to my other desktop Rig and taking out the M.2 and SSD for that Rig then doing a new Windows install on my NEW Samsung 990 Pro(Bought solely for my O.S. Boot drive on my new 13th gen/Z790 rig) and downloading the Intel ME on that M.2. Would that even help me or would downloading Intel ME on my other desktop rig (CPU: Intel 8th Gen 8700k and MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E) apply the Intel ME to the ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E or could I then take that 990 with windows and the Intel ME update on it back to my new build and it work?

Short Hand Individual Questions.

Currently my Maximus Z790 Extreme's Bios is flashed with "ROG MAXIMUS Z790 EXTREME BIOS 0816". (Separate laptop used to achieve these steps) ASUS Website to download Bios Update, Used ASUS Provided USB Drive to store bios update, Plugged in ASUS Provided USB Drive with Bios update on it into Bios Flash USB Slot, Held Bios Flash Button on back I/O to start, and Small LCD screen on MOBO stated the Bios update was a success.

How do I get the Intel ME update on that MOBO if I can not use the CPU?

Can I take my fresh M.2 to an older Rig(CPU 8th gen, MOBO Z370-E) install windows on it download the Intel ME update and bring it back to my new build?

Am I just ignorant and I do not see the correct pathway?

Do I have to simply buy a 12th Gen Intel CPU get my Rig to Post download Intel ME just to shut down and swap back to my 13th Gen CPU?

Any Advice on this would really help. I have been looking around for information without starting my own post so I was not cluttering up Forums with previously Asked/Solved questions. I have found stuff here and there yet nothing concrete. I just keep seeing for the ASUS Z790 boards to support the 13th Gen Intel CPUs you need the ASUS bios update. For the ASUS Bios update to work you need the Intel ME update. I then see people calling it a cart before the horse situation meaning you need Intel ME to make the Bios update work for the 13th gen however you cant get the Intel ME without the 13th gen working..?

If I have not explained my situation enough/clearly OR I have ignorantly left out any critical information please feel free to let me know. I will promptly add/edit/fix the post for future clarity.

Please Send Help.....

Thanks,
Phreak

14 REPLIES 14

PhreakyPyro
Level 8

Alright New update. I pulled out the following. 3 out of 4 sticks of DRam, my 4090 GPU (disconnected power on both ends probably didnt matter on the PSU side), different mouse from wireless to wired, cmos reset, finally flashed the bios again. I got the computer to post to bios. I was then able to plug in my Windows USB Drive and start the installation. I am currently for whatever reason stuck on connecting to my network to finish my windows installation. I have my Mobo hard wired with blinking green lights which means linked and data transfer. I am not able to see my network. I have reset my modem and router. I also hooked up the WIFI antenna to my Mobo. Still no internet seen and I can not finish my Windows installation until I get it connected. Honestly, I think is a bit silly that I have to have internet to have Windows installed. I am about to turn off my new Rig and either unplug my Ethernet cable and leave my WIFI in or take out my WIFI and leave my Ethernet cable in. We shall see the progress continues. I'll keep everyone updated.

Thanks,
Phreak

@PhreakyPyro wrote:

… I am currently for whatever reason stuck on connecting to my network to finish my windows installation. I have my Mobo hard wired with blinking green lights which means linked and data transfer. I am not able to see my network. …

That's probably the outdated Intel I-225/I-226 LAN Driver that Microsoft supply (assuming you are using the 2.5G Ethernet port).  Although that interface has been around for a while, the Z790 boards seem to have some newer variant that needs a newer driver than the one included in the Windows installation media.  These FAQs should help:

[Motherboard] Troubleshooting - How to install Windows 11 Pro/Home operate system on AM5 or Intel Z7...

[Motherboard] How to download and install LAN driver from ASUS Download Center

Alternatively, the Marvell 10G Ethernet may be able to run at slower speeds as well, and might have a driver built into the Windows installer.  If it's the AQC113, I think it can do 10G, 5G, 2.5G, 1G, 100M, and 10M (i.e. all standard Ethernet LANs up to 10G).  Again, however, if it's some newer variant of that series of chips, it may need a newer driver.

One last thought, I'm pretty sure that Microsoft updated the installation media when they released 22H2.  Using the most recent installation media might help for the latest platforms.  Download a fresh installation image from Microsoft if you're using one from a long time ago.

JohnAb
Level 17

OK, good news. You're nearly there...There are three ways to overcome the network issues:

1. During Windows Install, you will see an option to install network drivers - browse to the folder on you Asus drivers stick,  or

2. Download a fresh copy of Windows from Microsoft as an ISO image. Burn it with the latest copy of Rufus and you have the options to a) allow install without needing TPM and b) disable the requirement for an active internet connection. That way you can just say 'I don't have internet' during the install and create a local account

3. There is another solution here which also works fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLY3Eq90W0 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.
How to Install and Setup Windows 11 Without an Internet Connection So you want to install Windows 11 on unsupported hardware and don't want to use a internet connection, but you want to know how to install windows 11 with local user account. it can be done and I will show you how step by step ...

PhreakyPyro
Level 8

Alright, I am finished the final fix for the Windows install without internet drivers... Shift + F10 opens command Prompt click on Command Prompt (does NOT auto select) type oobe\bypassnro press enter it will restart your Rig when you reselect everything and you get to the network section it now has a skip button. skip it get into windows and go absolute ham downloading everything. Intel MEI Intel ME, Asus stuff, Intel stuff, GPU stuff, etc... Thank you for coming on this journey with me. I was going nuts right before I posted this! I really hope this helps someone in the future

Thanks,

Phreak

JohnAb
Level 17

Great that you have things sorted. If you want to get hold of all the latest drivers for your board then have a look at MoKiChU's drivers threads. It's not necessary, the standard support pages drivers should generally work fine, but it's something you can do if you want to be completely up to date. Enjoy you new PC, it's a great spec! If you need any more help, then just create a new thread...

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.