cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

games crashing when xmp is on

jontrd
Level 7

Hello Everyone,
I need support please. When I play games after 10/20/30min they crashing and I come back in windows desktop.
I am searching for hours and days and I don’t know what to do.
My Specs:
Asus Z790 Maximus Dark Hero BIOS Version 1102
Intel i9-14900KF
G.Skill 64GB DDR5 6400 Kit F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RK
Lian Li Galahad 2 LCD AIO
Asus Strix RTX 4090 OC
Power Supply Be Quiet Dark Power 12 1500Watt
Windows 11 Home – Up to date and done a clean installation
Nvidia Drives – Up to date
General Drivers – Armoury Crate – Everything up to date

BIOS Standard – NO AI Overclocking
RAM Memory Settings:

XMP 1 – Asus Optimized

Fails in AIDA 64

Fails in Memtest86

After 10/15/20/30 min playing games crashing

XMP 2 – Default Factory:

Fails in AIDA 64

Fails in Memtest86

After 10/15/20/30 min playing games crashing

NO XMP

Pass in AIDA 64

Pass in Memtest86

Playing games, no problem

Conclussion: with NO XMP and everything is stable..
What do I wrong or what I have to do please to have a stable pc on 6400?
Are the settings like timings of the memory wrong in the bios?

I have sended a mail to Asus support a to be short: you will know their answer and i have to set i to default stock settings.
The same mail to G.Skill and have received a short quick answer please contact rma for a request.

Thank you verry much for your advice.

Greetings,

Jon

11 REPLIES 11

IT_Troll
Level 10

Hi IT_Troll,

Thanks for the feedback and i have read the link you have sended. My bios settings are on no ai overclocking, so standard and my system is stable when xmp is of. Its begin when xmp 1 or 2 is on.. So i don't understand whats wrong or what i have to do. Any advice?

Contrary to assumptions, XMP/EXPO doesn't ensure automatic overclocking. Tighter timings or higher frequencies may require manual adjustments for stability. Overclocking cannot be assured due to variance between parts when run outside manufacture specifications. XMP/EXPO success also greatly depends on the processor's Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) capabilities.

Firstly I would simply try setting DRAM Frequency to 6000MT and retest.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi Silent Scone,

Thanks for the feedback. The strange of all is that i had before a msi z690 ace with the same processor and memory, auto overclocking on and xmp 2 and everything was stable without any problem. So i dont understand where the problem is. Any remarque on that? I will try lower frequency and wait what the solution of intel will be and waiting also on a newer bios version. Hopely will that be the final helping solution i gues.. thx

Could be any number of things. Other vendors tend to use looser sub-timings which will equate to less performance, CPU might not be comfortable with some of the auto rules, either. Vendors account for CPU variances differently, it can work both ways depending on the CPU sample.

Try increasing VDD and VDDQ 20 to 30mV.

It isn't.

Vynra
Level 12

did you put yoiur ram in the correct slots? slot 2 and 4

Hi Vynra,

Yes, 2 and 4. Any other advice? Thx

IT_Troll
Level 10

Looking at the specs for you RAM, the voltage for XMP is 1.40V, compared with 1.10V for standard SPD. Have you checked if the voltage is being set correctly. Either way, you could try setting RAM voltage manually to be sure. Your motherboard is on their QVL so the combination should be good.