cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashed to 813 Z790 Extreme "Stuck on Check CPU" Any possible resolution?

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
So I've flashed to 813 and now it just get's stuck on "Check CPU" I was testing 13900KS's. Okay so it's clearly the bios that is the problem.. oh wait what if I have a 13900KS and no other cpu? I'm just out of luck?

So I've tried to flash to an older bios NOPE.. Changed the CPU NOPE.. Secondary bios works primary doesn't!

So how can I recover my primary bios? And seriously for asus releasing a bios that will just brick your pc? Explain to me that if I have a new cpu not on the motherboards list and I have to update then update the ME after.. Genius really? OH WAIT YOU CAN"T... I want to use a 13900KS 0702 is the support board comes with 0402 I update to 813 and now it's bricked? THE CPU Works fine on another board it's not the cpu or ram and I can boot on the 0402 with it as well as I found out apparently after the fact... CPU QVL list 0702.. I have 0402 > I have to update = bricked? LOL.

$1000 dollar board and this much incompetence?

So Get the board has 0402 not supported okay.. Update to supported = bricked haha. OH wait Update the ME but you can only do IT AFTER official Support for the CPU go into windows install a driver then run the tool then. but you can't use a CPU not on the list...? Chicken before the Egg?
7 REPLIES 7

nyxagamemnon
Level 7

JohnAb
Level 17
I don't know about the 790 Extreme specifically, but do you have a physical switch to select each BIOS chip? If you do, then in the past on other boards, you would flip the switch to select the BIOS you want and once selected, flash the BIOS again. However, I'm just guessing, better to get some specific advice. While waiting for this thread, you could also ask on this forum as well:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z790-owners-thread.1800191/page-182

Hope that helps...

(and yes, you do need to be in Windows to flash the ME firmware). It won't do any lasting harm to flash the BIOS first, it's just that you might have some temporary issues until you can get Windows installed again and update ME firmware to the correct version. There have been known problems with NVME storage not being detected in slot M.2_1 (on 690 boards at least) with mis-matched BIOS/ME so just use another slot if needed until the updates have been done. It's only a temporary issue if it occurs, but it probably won't.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I don't know about the 790 Extreme specifically, but do you have a physical switch to select each BIOS chip? If you do, then in the past on other boards, you would flip the switch to select the BIOS you want and once selected, flash the BIOS again. However, I'm just guessing, better to get some specific advice.

While waiting for this thread, you could also ask on this forum as well:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z790-owners-thread.1800191/page-182

Hope that helps...

I can't post with the new bios!! That's the issue... I can't even get into windows to flash the ME.. It will just be "Stuck on Check CPU"... 7F... Rolling back to older bios = doesn't work.

The problem isn't this. The problem is that the supported BIOS for a 13900KS was needed. I updated the bios then I would boot into windows to update the ME. But apparently on the newer bioses if you update the bios before the ME your screwed. But in order for the CPU to be supported I needed to flash to the new BIOS. So It's a chicken before the egg problem. I have now verified the ME Update is the culprit and I need to somehow update the ME on a bios that I can't boot off.. What GENIUS thought it was a good idea to do this is beyond me.

Require Update to Support CPU Okay... Get Update Need another Update to have it work but needs the first update and the second update but it can't work without doing the second update FIRST before the other update that Officially supports the CPU. Where's my recourse huh? Can I get a bios update that will allow me to actually boot and undo this so I can resolve my issue? or will my motherboard forever have one of the chips bricked?

I've tried to flash to older bioses, no dice so what's the fix for this mess caused by asus's incompetence. Require an update to support a CPU but in doing so the second update needs to be done first or else your sol? What kind of engineer's are even working on these things? This is just insane.

nyxagamemnon wrote:
I can't post with the new bios!! That's the issue... I can't even get into windows to flash the ME.. It will just be "Stuck on Check CPU"... 7F... Rolling back to older bios = doesn't work.

The problem isn't this. The problem is that the supported BIOS for a 13900KS was needed. I updated the bios then I would boot into windows to update the ME. But apparently on the newer bioses if you update the bios before the ME your screwed. But in order for the CPU to be supported I needed to flash to the new BIOS. So It's a chicken before the egg problem. I have now verified the ME Update is the culprit and I need to somehow update the ME on a bios that I can't boot off.. What GENIUS thought it was a good idea to do this is beyond me.

Require Update to Support CPU Okay... Get Update Need another Update to have it work but needs the first update and the second update but it can't work without doing the second update FIRST before the other update that Officially supports the CPU. Where's my recourse huh? Can I get a bios update that will allow me to actually boot and undo this so I can resolve my issue? or will my motherboard forever have one of the chips bricked?

I've tried to flash to older bioses, no dice so what's the fix for this mess caused by asus's incompetence. Require an update to support a CPU but in doing so the second update needs to be done first or else your sol? What kind of engineer's are even working on these things? This is just insane.

Hello,

1) USB Flashback does not require a CPU installed.

2) The 13900KS shouldn't need a UEFI update to POST successfully.

3) The support site stipulates the following: Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020 to ensure optimized system settings.

4) Make sure to update the ME Firmware whilst switched to the secondary BIOS

5) Whilst on the primary BIOS, what happens when using USB Flashback to flash to 0813? Try redownloading the file to ensure it wasn't corrupted.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

1) USB Flashback does not require a CPU installed. That was never the case of needing a cpu I know how it works, your own site states 0703+ as official support.

2) The 13900KS shouldn't need a UEFI update to POST successfully. Then. Update your. Support and qvl list to indicate this.

3) The support site stipulates the following: Before BIOS update, please download Intel ME update tool from ASUS support site, and update ME firmware to Version 16.1.25.2020 to ensure optimized system settings.

What if it's. A new build? With a new cpu that needs. A. Newer bios revision ? In a sense your saying that you need to boot first then use bios flashback but your doing it in reverse. This. Logically makes zero sense design your systems so bios comes first.

4) Make sure to update the ME Firmware whilst switched to the secondary BIOS.

I've done this on the secondary bios and then flashed 813 it works. But now there is an. Unintended side effect bios flash back won't work anymore at all on either bios. And any bios flashing keeps saying improper file. And yes. I've tried all manners of USB mbr fat32 etc. The same stick that worked before now doesn't. It seems that once I updated the second bios to 813 and the me because the first bios doesn't have the updated me it's locked out from me flashing even. In the bios ez flash on both bioses.

5) Whilst on the primary BIOS, what happens when using USB Flashback to flash to 0813? Try redownloading the file to ensure it wasn't corrupted.

1) USB Flashback does not require a CPU installed. That was never the case of needing a cpu I know how it works, your own site states 0703+ as official support. for 13900ks.

2) The 13900KS shouldn't need a UEFI update to POST successfully. Then. Update your. Support and qvl list to indicate this.

Before I updated the secondary bios to 813 with the me it would successfully flash but now it chain fails. Regardless of USB formats (mbr on fat32,gpt exfat etc.). Yes I've. Redownloaded re flashed used different USB. Different bios versions etc .

The issue is that I cannot get a picture even just goes 7f/check CPU. No picture tried discreet. Integrated GPU etc. It's the full result of Intel me . It was an older version. Than the bios . And now since updating the secondary bios and getting that done Now both bioses are locked out with constant this is not a proper bios file regardless of ez flash or. Bios flashback if there was a way for me to update the me on the first bios from the secondary that would do the trick.

If you have to update me before bios flash back. Then what is the point of bios flash back? It's worthless because you need to boot install drivers then update the me then use it. The logic order is totally wrong. If someone buys a motherboard that on your own site doesn't list the supported CPU until x version. Then they will go download that update it and be done. But in this case you want a user to boot into Windows install drivers update the me on cpu that your own documentation online says official support after 0703. You see how does makes zero sense ?

Sure if you have a supported CPU okay. Then what if you don't? What if someone buys a z690 and they get stuck with an older bios then what ? You expect a user to buy an older CPU and update the me then flash ? Come on.

You know I've bought your products for decades and all your high end stuff and if Asus isnt going to understand this simple logic and blame the user then I'm done with you. Your logic is flawed you need to fix it.

nyxagamemnon wrote:
That was never the case of needing a cpu I know how it works, your own site states 0703+ as official support. for 13900ks.

The site also recommends updating the ME firmware prior to flashing the UEFI, this step was not followed

nyxagamemnon wrote:

Then. Update your. Support and qvl list to indicate this.

The system may still POST, yes. This is due diligence, you should still update for full validation. Q-Code 7F indicates there may be a red herring somewhere and the ME firmware is not the primary issue.

nyxagamemnon wrote:

If you have to update me before bios flash back. Then what is the point of bios flash back?

See above, a CPU is not required. The benefits of this should be obvious and should aid in recovering from a bad flash. I believe someone on Overclock.net also advised you to try reflashing via USB Flashback to ensure this, and this was met with some hostility.

nyxagamemnon wrote:

And now since updating the secondary bios and getting that done Now both bioses are locked out

Assuming you updated the ME firmware before flashing the secondary BIOS, I suggest contacting support for your region.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Nate152
Hello

Were you able to get this sorted?

I might have a temporary workaround.

Update to the latest bios, when it gives you "Stuck on Check CPU", go to the boot tab and set "Wait for F1 Error" to Disabled. Reboot and see if it boots, if it does you can then update the ME driver and enable back the "Wait for F1 Error".