cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAULTY MOTHERBOARD ? ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4

marble1
Level 8

Hello,
I just received an Asus Rog Strix Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4. Placed i5-12600KF with two different CPU coolers (currently with Laminar RM1), 2 RAM Dimm in slots A2 B2 (or even only A2), dedicated GPU, I have only black screen with no possibility to access Bios, even after EZ-Flash update to last version. On motherboard, I have yellow DRAM led and, if I reset, I have then red CPU led.
My RAM is Galax OC LABS DDR4 4000. Will be trying with lower speed DDR4 and other GPU (those come from another running computer).
Any hint on what could be the issue ? Could it be CPU, RAM compatibility or faulty motherboard ?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @marble1,

Does the system fire up without XMP at Optimised Defaults (after clearing the CMOS)?

Did you inspect the CPU pin pad when you replaced the cooler and tried reseating the CPU?

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

@Silent_Scone wrote:

Hi @marble1,

Does the system fire up without XMP at Optimised Defaults (after clearing the CMOS)?

Did you inspect the CPU pin pad when you replaced the cooler and tried reseating the CPU?

Tried to clear CMOS but nothing happened.
Yes, I inspected the CPU pin pad and nothing was bent. I5-12600KF is absolutely new, from sealed box.
will try this evening with Samsung DDR4 2400... I went through the same process of building a Xeon E5 recently and it worked upon first boot... Asus motherboard is Amazon second handed... I have also an I3-13100F to try to get the CPU out of the equation.

Sounds like it might well be the board if it's an Amazon return. I'd be inclined not to plug another CPU into it and get your money back.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

marble1
Level 8

OK then, I will try only with DDR4 2400 and basic GPU, if it is still faulty, I will send this board back to Amazon.

marble1
Level 8

OK, just tried with 2x8GB DDR4 2400 from Samsung (works on workstation) and low-end NVIDA GPU (works also) : nothing happens, still the same issue. I've contacted Amazon for return / replacement of the motherboard.