cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extreme + 1101 + 32GB G.Skill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK

Serza
Level 8
Hi.

TL/DR;
I could only get my system stable using no over-clocks of any kind (CPU and Memory). I have not tried playing with voltages or anything else at this point.

My build experience with the following system components (of interest)
CPU: 12900K
M/B: Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme
BIOS: 1101
Memory: 32GB G.Skill F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
CPU Cooling: EK-Quantum Velocity^2 Custom Loop with 2 x 360 Rads (GPU standard air cooling)
Case and cooling: 10 fan Lian Li O11DXL
OS: Windows 11 Pro – fully updated (as at 12/02/2022)
GPU: Asus RTX 3080 TUF OC

Initial post – no changes to anything using shipped defaults - everything works fine (at first).
Installed Windows 11 Pro from USB and all updates, basic utilities and games – all good.
Left system running (idle) for a few hours as a break.
Came back – system frozen / locked – hard reset required.
I decided to flash to the latest bios (1101 as at time of this post)
Sorry: Not sure what bios was when shipped but the date was in 2021.
BIOS updated.
At this point I decided to run my usual Prime95 Large FFTs no AVX burn in tests (24 hours runs).
Also, the system at this point is also left stock, so memory is all Auto (4800) and Asus multi-core enhancement (MCE) is left on (default in the bios).
Running Prime95 (as above) results in the memory temps creeping slowly up to around 74.0C += 2.0C. This took about 10 mins to get to this temp. Ambient in my room is around 22C (I have A/C in my PC room).
I was using hwinfo for monitoring temps.
All good after about 8 hours – went to sleep.
In morning after about 18 hours run, the system was running … but …
The temps where no longer available in hwinfo, just greyed out and my RGB rainbow cycle had slowed (like something was using 100% CPU) but the system seemed to operate normally.
Decided a re-boot was in order.
After re-boot system would not post and the OLED screen on the Extreme was reading memory errors.
I performed a hard forced restart – pulled plug – waited – restarted – all good again.
Decided to run a few different tests now;
Enabled XMP I profile and left MCE on.
Prime95 Large FFTs no AVX fails within 15 minutes.
A failure is easily monitored by watching threads drop from the standard windows task manager. Go back into Prime95 and some of the workers died with errors.

Ok, test 2
Enabled XMP II profile and left MCE on.
Prime95 Large FFTs no AVX fails within 5 minutes. Most threads dead.

Hm….

Ok, odd thing is the system itself running no problems, no BSODs or lockups at all.

Ok, test 3
Re-started using XMP I
Manually set the Memory down to 5800 (the rated speed is 6000)
Disabled ASUS multi core enhancement (MCE); so no CPU overclock – using intel standards.
Prime95 Large FFTs no AVX fails within 40 minutes. Some threads dead.

Ok ok ok – need to get this thing stable somehow …

Test 4
Re-started using Auto for memory (4800) – No Memory O/C
Kept MCE disabled (no CPU O/C)
Temps again at around 73C after 10 minutes or so …
BTW CPU temps hovered around 55C with a package temp of around 65C
24 hours – no problems – 100% solid.
Hwinfo – WHEA also reporting 0.

As mentioned by many threads already, Prime95 is totally not representative of normal real-world usage but I like to get a degree of certainty that the system should be ok most of the time.
My games I normally play (ATM) are Diablo3, FarCry 5 and FarCry 6.
FC5 and FC6 are hard on both CPU and GPU. I run an LG 144Hz 38” monitor with 3840 x 1600 res max everything.
While playing both games memory never went above 50C and CPU never went above 60C. (MSI Afterburner with Riva to monitor).
System has been solid since (at least at the time of posting this – and yes I touched wood (get mind out of gutter folks)).
So has the upgrade been worth it? (from 10900K and RTX2080Ti) – performance wise – not really – e-peen wise ? you bet 😊
For the moment, I am happy to sit at stock everything. In a year after dozens of new BIOS updates, if the memory still cannot operate at advertised speeds – I’ll RMA it for some newer stuff.
I hope this helps someone in some way.
Cheers,
Serza.
6,778 Views
22 REPLIES 22

Serza
Level 8
My memory kit XMP I profile already has this set to 96.
I just ran another quick test with VDD and VDDQ set to 1.375 - Prime failed after 1 hour and 16 minutes.
I have now set VDDQ TX Voltage to 1.375.
If this doesn't work, I might try and loosen the timings from 36 to 40.

Try the new 9902 beta bios, sounds like some people are having good success with it.
13900KS | Z790 Apex | GSkill DDR5-8000 | Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC

itzjonjon69 wrote:
Try the new 9902 beta bios, sounds like some people are having good success with it.


cool, Where I can grab it?

itzjonjon69 wrote:
Try the new 9902 beta bios, sounds like some people are having good success with it.


Je pense que le 9902 est pour l'APEX non ?

Serza
Level 8
Update ...

Asus Lighting Service was hogging some CPU and the lights were moving in slow motion again.
Killed the lightning service manually using task manager.
Re-started crate and seemed back to normal.
Selected re-start PC in Windows 11 (soft reboot)
Then ...
Stuck on “Detect Memory: 01”
All resets from case button would do nothing but pass the CPU tests then get stuck again on Detect Memory: 01
Forced power-of using hold power button for 4 seconds method.
Re-started: all back to normal again.

Set XMP I
Asus MCE: Off
Changed VDD and VDDQ to 1.375
Re-start Prime 95 Test - Large FFTs no AVX
Side Note: According to hwinfo64, the temp range for this memory kit is 0C - 85C.
Prime95 failed at 1 hour 16 minutes.
Temps go to 82C for memory and 69C for CPU and 75C for CPU Package.
The overall system however was still working normally.
Software re-start – no problems.

I then un-installed ALL armoury crate software
Update IVR Transmitter Voltage: 1.375
Note: No longer have any lighting on Case strip, Pump and CPU Block.
Prime 95 Large FFTs No AVX; no errors after 2 hours 30 minutes.
Temps reached: 79C for memory and 69C for CPU and 75 for CPU Package.

I then stopping Prime95 to run a series of game benchmarks.
All settings max everything.
Res: 3840x1600 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

FC5 Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 120
GPU: 65C / CPU: 60C

FC New Dawn Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 113
GPU: 62C / CPU: 55C

FC6 Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 94
GPU: 64C / CPU: 52C

AC Odyssey Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 73
GPU: 65C / CPU: 53C
Note: ACOD did not properly exit - needed to task manager kill process
Note: HWInfo64 also stopped - need to be restarted

AC Valhalla Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 69
GPU: 64C / CPU: 50C

Memory temp average across all tests @ 52C
These tests took a little over 1 hour to setup and run.
--- Software Reboot, no problems
Currently running without problems.

So in summary, settings are;
XMP I
Asus MCE – Off
VDD @ 1.375
VDDQ @ 1.375
Update IVR Transmitter Voltage: 1.375
OS Changes: Not running any Asus Crate software

Serza wrote:
Update ...

Asus Lighting Service was hogging some CPU and the lights were moving in slow motion again.
Killed the lightning service manually using task manager.
Re-started crate and seemed back to normal.
Selected re-start PC in Windows 11 (soft reboot)
Then ...
Stuck on “Detect Memory: 01�
All resets from case button would do nothing but pass the CPU tests then get stuck again on Detect Memory: 01
Forced power-of using hold power button for 4 seconds method.
Re-started: all back to normal again.

Set XMP I
Asus MCE: Off
Changed VDD and VDDQ to 1.375
Re-start Prime 95 Test - Large FFTs no AVX
Side Note: According to hwinfo64, the temp range for this memory kit is 0C - 85C.
Prime95 failed at 1 hour 16 minutes.
Temps go to 82C for memory and 69C for CPU and 75C for CPU Package.
The overall system however was still working normally.
Software re-start – no problems.

I then un-installed ALL armoury crate software
Update IVR Transmitter Voltage: 1.375
Note: No longer have any lighting on Case strip, Pump and CPU Block.
Prime 95 Large FFTs No AVX; no errors after 2 hours 30 minutes.
Temps reached: 79C for memory and 69C for CPU and 75 for CPU Package.

I then stopping Prime95 to run a series of game benchmarks.
All settings max everything.
Res: 3840x1600 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

FC5 Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 120
GPU: 65C / CPU: 60C

FC New Dawn Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 113
GPU: 62C / CPU: 55C

FC6 Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 94
GPU: 64C / CPU: 52C

AC Odyssey Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 73
GPU: 65C / CPU: 53C
Note: ACOD did not properly exit - needed to task manager kill process
Note: HWInfo64 also stopped - need to be restarted

AC Valhalla Benchmark (min/avg/max)
5 back-to-back runs with FPS average 69
GPU: 64C / CPU: 50C

Memory temp average across all tests @ 52C
These tests took a little over 1 hour to setup and run.
--- Software Reboot, no problems
Currently running without problems.

So in summary, settings are;
XMP I
Asus MCE – Off
VDD @ 1.375
VDDQ @ 1.375
Update IVR Transmitter Voltage: 1.375
OS Changes: Not running any Asus Crate software



You may want to look at getting some airflow over the DIMMs, however, if stable for your use case you can safely ignore Prime.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Serza
Level 8
Yeah case setup kinda blocks air flow to the DIMMs - The 3 fans on the bottom feed directly into the 3080 (standard mount - not vertical).
The 3 on the side rad hit the res. and I am using the DIMM.2 for NVMe. The DIMM.2 module is large and kida blocks flow into the DIMMs.
The 3 on the top rad exhaust.
The rear fan is exhaust - perhaps I could make that intake ? (does not have a dust filter but those are cheap as to get ...).
I could also make it one of those Noctua industrial fans (if I could tolerate the noise) ...
DIMMs don't get over 55 during normal use (games etc.)
I do remember seeing a post by corsair when DDR5 was just starting up and they said that yeah DDR5 runs hot...

Serza wrote:
Yeah case setup kinda blocks air flow to the DIMMs - The 3 fans on the bottom feed directly into the 3080 (standard mount - not vertical).
The 3 on the side rad hit the res. and I am using the DIMM.2 for NVMe. The DIMM.2 module is large and kida blocks flow into the DIMMs.
The 3 on the top rad exhaust.
The rear fan is exhaust - perhaps I could make that intake ? (does not have a dust filter but those are cheap as to get ...).
I could also make it one of those Noctua industrial fans (if I could tolerate the noise) ...
DIMMs don't get over 55 during normal use (games etc.)
I do remember seeing a post by corsair when DDR5 was just starting up and they said that yeah DDR5 runs hot...


The PMIC being onboard the module adds an extra layer of complexity when overclocking, but it depends on your setup and how conditional the overclock is. It never hurts to keep things cooler, though.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Good afternoon,

I have the same equipment configuration and it is impossible for me to make the XMP profile work stable with the RAM running at 6000 MHz.

12900K
Asus Extreme 1101 BIOS
F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RS (white version)

I have read the values you have suggested through this thread but still no way.

I have tried the following values:

XMP I
Asus MCE – On
VCCSA From 1.1 to 1.25
VDD @ From 1.30 to 1.40
VDDQ @ From 1.30 to 1.40
Update IVR Transmitter Voltage: From 1.35 to 1.40
Memory controller Voltage: From 1.25 to 1.45
Mem Tweaks I&II

No way to pass MemTest


Anything else I can try before thinking my CPU is the reason?


PS: MemTest with Auto values (no XMP) passes perfectly fine.



Thanks in advance

May also want to try the built-in Memory Presets for Samsung (located under DRAM Timing Control).