cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how to downgrade a protected BIOS? B660-A ROG Strix WiFi D4

galacticaph
Level 7

Hi. I tried at Intel, but they couldn't help me, nor the forums and specially not their tech support. I'm having issues with my i5-13400 with this board. It's reading temps below ambient in Windows (but BIOS shows CPU temp fine). I am suspecting that some setting in the BIOS is doing something weird with my CPU. Only one person in Intel forums told me "that an offset has been written to the Temperature Target MSR" and he was right. My CPU has an offset of 10°C and the TJMax is now 110°C. What can i do? I tried every setting in the BIOS but i cannot downgrade to the first version that supported 13th gen CPUs. Anyone with an idea or the same issue?
Thanks in advance!
P.S.: coolant temp is above ambient as it should be.

Here are some pics: asas.jpgddd.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

JohnAb
Level 17

Maybe you've tried already, but have you reset the BIOS to defaults?

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Hi. Yes, i did it and i tried almost every setting in the BIOS. 

You should find the setting 
Ai Tweaker -> 'Maximum CPU Core Temperature' under Internal CPU Power Management,  If auto is for some reason giving you 110c then just manually set it back to 100.

Also under AI Tweaker -> Thermal Velocity Boost,  check Overclocking TVB is auto.

Hi. I don't have that setting (maximum cpu...). Weird, huh?

I thought you might be looking in the wrong place but now I've seen a bios walkthrough for that board specifically https://youtu.be/mnsEiwvMY04  I see it's just not there, sorry.
Perhaps it's internally being overridden by 'Asus Performance Enhancement 3.0'  try checking it after that's disabled.

I tried that too. Maybe the cpu has a faulty sensor?

Any other option in the BIOS i should look for?

Your Current Core Temp correctly adds up to 100 with the Core Distance to TJ Max.

The Max and Min column are a little deceptive, eg for the Max it's because it's not just (TJMAx - Maximum value recorded), it's two seperate values, one being the maximum core temp, and the other behind the maximum distance from TJMax.
So it rarely adds up to TJMax on any system, and if it did it would be unlikely to on the next reading. On my system by using the reset min/max button and checking I can have those values for Max add up anything from 103 to 117 in just a few seconds of testing. 

The average column can differ but only by a very small margin.  

With your current Core Temp and Core Distance to TJ Max adding to 100, you have nothing to worry about your TJMax is not set anything different to the factory default of 100.

You get temperatures below ambient because of the location of the internal sensor, and because of the cooling solutions in place.

If you really want to dig into it more I also just found this for you : https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/my-cpu-temperature-is-shown-as-5C/m-p/682492 

Yeah, i read that and every post existing right now online. Maybe what you said is right. In fact, i didn't have any issues with the CPU, no freezing, no BSODs, etc...