cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct Boot into BIOS?

Les_Garten
Level 9
Is there a way to reboot directly into BIOS for next boot besides the normal Windows Diagnostics way?

I just brought up a Hero MB and am having issues getting into the BIOS.

If I start tapping DEL after turning on, the PC it sometimes just stops starting and won't boot the drive but the display shows it hitting the HDMI port every so often, but nothing on the screen.

Is there something in Armory crate that you can toggle to go into BIOS on next boot?

My KB is connected via a USB hub. Is there a preferred USB port on the back that would be preferable? I tried with a KB just hooked into the front panel connector and the same thing happened. I even have the post screen set at 10 seconds and that's not helping.
8 REPLIES 8

bscool
Level 11
I take you have it in a case and side panel on. Otherwise you can set FlexKey option in bios under tools to boot to bios/safeboot when presssed.

I dont have a z690 ddr5 board just going by memory on z590 they had an option like that.

bscool wrote:
I take you have it in a case and side panel on. Otherwise you can set FlexKey option in bios under tools to boot to bios/safeboot when presssed.

I dont have a z690 ddr5 board just going by memory on z590 they had an option like that.

Thanx for that!

I think I have an evolving problem and this was just a symptom of the issue. I may have a board or chip failing.

Ribellu
Level 10
Les_Garten wrote:
Is there a way to reboot directly into BIOS for next boot besides the normal Windows Diagnostics way?

I just brought up a Hero MB and am having issues getting into the BIOS.

If I start tapping DEL after turning on, the PC it sometimes just stops starting and won't boot the drive but the display shows it hitting the HDMI port every so often, but nothing on the screen.

Is there something in Armory crate that you can toggle to go into BIOS on next boot?

My KB is connected via a USB hub. Is there a preferred USB port on the back that would be preferable? I tried with a KB just hooked into the front panel connector and the same thing happened. I even have the post screen set at 10 seconds and that's not helping.

you can launch a reboot directly in the BIOS from Windows, you must go to: updates and security, on the left pane click on recovery, then in the right pane the "advanced startup" section click on restart now , windows will close and open a blue window with boot options you can choose after a few steps boot into UEFI BIOS

Ribellu wrote:
you can launch a reboot directly in the BIOS from Windows, you must go to: updates and security, on the left pane click on recovery, then in the right pane the "advanced startup" section click on restart now , windows will close and open a blue window with boot options you can choose after a few steps boot into UEFI BIOS

Yeah that didn't work which was strange.

I think I have a HW failure

Les_Garten wrote:
Yeah that didn't work which was strange.

I think I have a HW failure

I may have the same problem or similar as you, please check this thread.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127551-3080Ti-Strix-OC-and-Display-port-problem!

Ribellu wrote:
I may have the same problem or similar as you, please check this thread.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127551-3080Ti-Strix-OC-and-Display-port-problem!

I don't have that problem, at least not exactly that problem. I am using an Old Titan X and HDMI. But the effects are the same. I reset to BIOS defaults and cannot get anything to happen now, error code 98. I left the battery out overnight and am getting ready to try again with it.

Am thinking about ditching this card and buying it later after the BS is worked out. I've been buying computers and boards since the mid 80's. Never had issues like these. The people who say early adopter issues, that's just shoddy QC and engineering. I'm not saying everything was perfect, but not like the issues with these boards.

I wanted to see how bad the reviews were and you cannot find any reviews on amazon or newegg about this board. All pulled

I have till 1/31 to send it back to Amazonia, I think it's going back... I don't want a replacement I will be stuck with right now. This is not right for a $700 board

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
You can do it from an elevated command prompt. The command to reboot in 3 seconds is (the /fw is the trick):

shutdown /r /fw /f /t 3

Or you can add the command to your desktop right click context menu or with a shortcut:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5831-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-inside-windows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94265-create-shortcut-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-windows-10-a.h...

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94290-add-boot-uefi-firmware-settings-context-menu-windows-10-a....

Personally. I use the desktop context menu method.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

So I installed as Legacy BIOS so no UEFI access.

I reset the BIOS to defaults last night and that gave me a persistent 98 Q code error. Reset a few times, No Bueno. Pulled everything connected off, same deal.

Pulled the Batt and left for overnight.

Put the batt back in and everything has straightened up. Now it is working fine on a different monitor(much older), current monitor is Asus PG32UQ. It was in this strange boot loop where the monitor was getting probed on and off and not booting and could not go into the BIOS.

I have till 1/31 to send this back to Amazon, gonna try to work it out as much as I can. I did turn off some things in my monitor. I turned off CEC to see if that may help.