cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical CPU temp after updating BIOS to 2202

Alunais
Level 7

Components:

• Case: Fractal Torrent (normal, not compact)
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-D15s
  • CPU: 13700k
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI

I guess the question is for Asus BIOS settings experts, but who knows. Yesterday, I decided to update the BIOS on my Asus Strix Z790-E to version 2202; previously, I had one from last year. After the update, I set up the BIOS more or less the same as before, where everything was working reasonably well for me. Generally, most settings are set to auto regarding the CPU; I also disabled AI Tweak, etc. (if necessary, I can provide screenshots). Today, I launched an app I'm working on, let's say I was packing something big in 7-zip, and suddenly, the Core Temp app started giving me warnings about critical temperature on various cores. I also noticed that on many cores, it was reaching 100°C, with some even hitting 100°C. I also noticed that the VID was around 1.45V with a power draw of around 194W (according to the Core Temp app, maybe it's the package wattage), whereas normally, I have around 1.33V at idle. I briefly ran RealBench, and the power draw was around 240W, and everything was throttling so much that I had trouble taking a screenshot from the Core Temp application.

They added in this bios: Intel Baseline Profile - so I also selected this option. When I enable it, it says it will load minimal settings but requires a reboot. I click YES, but nothing reboots, so I don't know what's going on here either...

Can anyone advise what's going on? Previous BIOS settings weren't anything special, just everything set to auto, without tweaking, boosts, multi-core enhancements, etc. The only thing is that the memory is set to D.O.C.P.I. Why are there suddenly temperature issues? I also don't think its my cooler, I had no problems previously doing the same packing in 7-zip it was reaching 88'C max.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/E5Be7ZI

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Alunais 

For Intel Baseline you need to apply and then Save and Exit. However, there is no need to apply this unless experiencing instability at stock (DOCP / XMP is not stock).

1. Set SVID Behaviour to Typical

2. Disable XMP/DOCP

Retest

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi @Alunais 

For Intel Baseline you need to apply and then Save and Exit. However, there is no need to apply this unless experiencing instability at stock (DOCP / XMP is not stock).

1. Set SVID Behaviour to Typical

2. Disable XMP/DOCP

Retest

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Setting SVID to Typical, fixed the overheating issue. Now I had vid max 1.35, and typicaly it's 1.30, i.e. in idle.