cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Temperature issue

Makjeto
Level 8

Hi guys, I adquired this week an asus Prime H670-Plus D4, with an Intel i7-13700F CPU and an Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 GPU.

I installed Windows 11 with no problem, but I've been having an odd issue.

If I only do simple stuff like browsing the internet, even for hours, everything is fine, but some other stuff a bit more demanding, like downloanding a game through Steam, or playing the game, makes the CPU temperature shoot up to 87C. Another thing that I noticed is, when I enter the BIOS at boot up, the CPU temperature also starts to increase.

Also, I have a dual boot system with Ubuntu alongside Windows, and I observed this same behavior in Ubuntu.

I tried a bios update to the latest BIOS version, but the issue remains.

If someone else had the same problem and was able to fix it, I would appreciate very much any tips or help.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnAb
Level 17

Not sure what else to suggest - somebody else might have an idea - if the cooler is OK, that's running very hot! Have you also tried setting the BIOS to defaults? Maybe the previous owner made some changes in there...

Edit - you said you tried a new BIOS, so it should all be on defaults anyway

My only other suggestion is maybe get a better cooler - maybe worth a try

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JohnAb
Level 17

Sounds like your cooler might not be working properly. Probably a good idea to remove and reapply fresh thermal paste. Tighten it down evenly to make good contact but be careful not to overtighten. Hopefully that will help.

If it's a water cooled system, could be an airlock or maybe some fluid has drained out? Check the pump speed as well. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Makjeto
Level 8

Thanks for the tip, mate. It's not a water cooled system, just the normal cooler that came with the CPU.

I tried as you suggested, cleaned the thermal paste, applied new one, but still no luck I'm affraid.

Thanks again!

JohnAb
Level 17

Not sure what else to suggest - somebody else might have an idea - if the cooler is OK, that's running very hot! Have you also tried setting the BIOS to defaults? Maybe the previous owner made some changes in there...

Edit - you said you tried a new BIOS, so it should all be on defaults anyway

My only other suggestion is maybe get a better cooler - maybe worth a try

Thanks again, mate, I really appretiate your input 🙂

Buying a new cooler crossed my mind, maybe a water cooler.

Another thing that I noticed about this odd behaviour, it seems to happen more on Windows then on Ubuntu.

My Windows install is on a nvme m.2 drive, my Ubuntu install on the other hand, is on a regular SSD drive, maybe something about the access speed is causing this in Windows? One test that I did, I copied a folder of about 1Gb from my HDD data disk to the nvme, on Windows, and the CPU temp shoot up to 90C.

Then I booted to my Ubuntu install and copied the same file to the Ubuntu SSD disk, and the CPU temp was just fine.

Another thing I have to consider, is the memory, I kept the two RAM 16Gb DDR4 2400Mhz from my old system, since they are compatible with my new board, but maybe they are too slow and can be the source behind this issue?

Anyway, I'll take a look at the CPU coolers on the market for LGA 1700 socket.

Thanks again, mate, really appreciate it!

Yes! you can't heat up a 13700f without a water cooler. LGA 1700 factory coolers up to 12100 - possibly up to 12600k Noctua NH-D15, which I personally recommend. But it is recommended to use water cooling from 13700f upwards

Murph_9000
Level 14

The Intel stock cooler doesn't have a particularly great reputation, if that's what you are using, unless they have radically improved it with 13th gen.  It's basically adequate for the chips to stop them cooking themselves, but it's kinda bottom of the league in terms of cooling ability.  It also needs good case airflow to prevent it just recirculating warm air.

13th gen has a reputation for being hot (on the higher end CPUs, at least).  There are loads of coolers out there that will outperform the stock Intel cooler by a significant amount, both air and water.  If the size / form factor is an issue, there are things like the Noctua NH-L9 and NH-L12 which should greatly outperform the Intel cooler at a similar overall size (but you're better off with a big NH-U* or NH-D* cross-flow air cooler if your case has the space for it).  The general consensus seems to be in favour of AIO water coolers for higher end desktops, although a really good air cooler can still beat a terrible water AIO.

Thanks for the input, it was quite helpfull since I'm really considering buying a new cooler, size wont be a problem because if needed, I'll just buy a new case to support it, I really just want to solve this issue.

Cheers mate!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

For a stock CPU that is rather hot, but within tolerance. What sensor are you monitoring for the 87c reading?

Are you running a memory overclock?

As suggested, might be worth investing in a reasonable AIO cooler.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I'm not doing any overclocking, since I set the BIOS to its defaults when I did the BIOS upgrade, and I haven't changed it since.

The software I'm using to monitor the temperature is the Asus Armoury Crate

Thanks for the input!