cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corsair Dominator 8000MT 24GB Modules With z790 Extreme Motherboard

Uwguy
Level 7

Hi All,

I received today a Corsair 2x24GB 8000MT Dominator Titanium Kit. It is not on the Asus QVL list for the z790 extreme but according to the Corsair website the motherboard IS supported. Plug them into the appropriate slots, fired it up and it was a complete disaster. Tried XMP, XMPII, XMP Tweaked with Maximus Tweak 1 and 2 to no avail, memtest spit out tons of errors. The modules are V5 so they should be hynix memory modules. Just curious if anyone has some suggestions or has had experience with these 24gb DDR5 kits? This is actually the second kit I'm about to return, I bought a similar kit from Gskill and had exactly the same issues.

I'm currently using F5-7600J3646G16GX2 (z5 7600mhz). What is funny about this set which I purchased a year ago it never ran at XMP settings without throwing errors in memtest. However, if I select the 7600 hynix memory profile in the BIOS which has significantly reduced timings, it runs flawlessly. The GB/s for the 7600 modules is around 35-36 whereas the 24GB modules run 27-29.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi there,

8000MT on the Hero is going to be tough. These speeds are in majority of cases reserved for 1DPC boards (2 DIMM slots) where OC margins are higher.

If we look at the technical specification you can see the max validation is 7800MT. Normally, I recommend that users opt for a kit one or two ratios below the max validation for best chance of success without manual adjustment outside of XMP.
41eecb6f-cc06-4f87-ac82-89a2717201ca.png

The preloaded Tweaker profiles will contain manually set voltages for the CPU, memory and predefined memory subtimings. They're there to help users tune the system if the memory kit and CPU have the margin to do so.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thanks for your feedback!!! I guess what you are telling me is that I should be happy with my current 32mb @ 7600mhz. I see your rig is running at 8000 - I assume those are 16gb modules?

From my small experiment of n=2, I'm seeing that the 24gb modules aren't ready for prime time. When I was fiddling with my 16gb modules the errors I would encounter were sporadic at best (could boot into windows and things would work fine). The 24gb modules by comparison are a dumpster fire - throwing so many errors that memtest would often crash. I guess I'm a little disappointed at Corsair (and Gskill) for marketing this stuff as being compatible - unless I'm some weird outlier when it comes to my bad experiences with this stuff.

Hi,

I'm using the Z790 Apex. The Apex is 1DPC (1 DIMM per channel) and validated for 8000MT. Motherboards with only two memory slots generally have an elevated OC range due to less crosstalk and signal degradation. Generally, you should pay attention to the maximum validation on the support page. If a frequency isn't listed, your chances of obtaining it will become greatly reduced or in some cases not possible.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

VRT
Level 8

I have the same board as you, you won't get 8000 on that board, as it's a 4-DIMM board, the Apex probably as it's a 2-DIMM but even then it's not guaranteed as it depends on the CPU IMC. I'd aim for 7400 that should be easy and maybe 7600 if you have the time and patience to find out if your CPU IMC can handle it (primary timings first, then voltages VDD, VDDQ, SA, then if you feel like it secondary timings for tighter latency and 3-5% more bandwidth). For the record I have 2x32GB Kingston Fury Beast at 7000Mhz (C34) and I manually set the timings rather than use XMP settings.