System:

- EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 Ultra Gaming OC
- Asus Rog Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi
- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600 MHz CL36 2x16 GB
- Intel i9-12900K
- Corsair H170i AIO (420mm radiator)
- Western Digital SN850 2 TB NVMe SSD
- SeaSonic Focus 850W 80+ Platinum

Apologies in advance if this is not the right spot for this question, in which case I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

I keep getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSODs. I have tried with and without XMP II, with and without Asus AI overclocking, and even 100% default settings. I also thought it might have been because the motherboard jumper for additional CPU voltage wasn't 'enabled', so I moved it, but I am still getting this BSOD in <10 minutes on Prime95. The thermals on the CPU are all under 100°C on each core. Even with stock settings, the cores reach 5.3 MHz. I have been told this is an issue with the voltage, and I should raise VCore slightly, however I don't know how to do this. It even BSODs occasionally on idle loads, with only 1% of CPU in use. All my drivers are up to date, as is the BIOS. If the problem is indeed the CPU voltage, how do I go about raising it safely? Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
83 REPLIES 83

Jimbo93 wrote:
Is the AI for OC of CPU or memory? Anyone know how it works?

CPU. There's a video on it by JJ from Asus or something, but it is pretty much just normal overclocking according to what they said in the video. He had almost the exact same setup as me, slightly smaller radiator, and it worked up to 5.6 GHz for him. He even ran the same benchmarks without issue. And his memory was at a higher clock speed than mine even. I couldn't even get it past 5.2 Ghz without BSOD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiatGZm7ioI

toby12f wrote:
CPU. There's a video on it by JJ from Asus or something, but it is pretty much just normal overclocking according to what they said in the video. He had almost the exact same setup as me, slightly smaller radiator, and it worked up to 5.6 GHz for him. He even ran the same benchmarks without issue. And his memory was at a higher clock speed than mine even. I couldn't even get it past 5.2 Ghz without BSOD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiatGZm7ioI

Maybe it is time to try reinstalling the cpu and heat sink? I saw where some other folks were looking at individual core temps to see if they had good contact across the whole die

toby12f
Level 7
That's the thing, none of the temps on any cores went above 70° C during the OC (up until it crashed), but I've seen them fine up to 100° C before even throttling.

toby12f
Level 7
Could it just be a really unlucky/bad CPU in terms of silicon lottery? I have never seen anything be this bad before, but is it possible that it just can't take any overclocking whatsoever?

toby12f wrote:
Could it just be a really unlucky/bad CPU in terms of silicon lottery? I have never seen anything be this bad before, but is it possible that it just can't take any overclocking whatsoever?

I was thinking that another thing to check is that no other components are hot. What about VRM? And then there is still the question of power quality. Wrathier had a test program that supposed to check power. Â*He was just sharing some results in another thread.

toby12f
Level 7
I will test again to be sure, but I know the GPU and Motherboard temps were all under 70° C. The SSD is made to run hot from what I understand, so it was a bit higher. Other than that all were good, but I will double check. Do you have a link to this test program?

toby12f wrote:
I will test again to be sure, but I know the GPU and Motherboard temps were all under 70° C. The SSD is made to run hot from what I understand, so it was a bit higher. Other than that all were good, but I will double check. Do you have a link to this test program?

See this post

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?126865-Hero-Z690-having-issues-with-getting-windows-errors...

Hope it is multi-lingual, lol.

So I think you can use HWInfo to have the graphs and double click I think to open up a graph on the sensor you want to display that way. The other program does the stress burn in part. In his case there was a drop off on the 12 volt rail that he identified.

toby12f
Level 7
To be honest I don't know the last bit means, however I did use HWInfo for the temps. Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out.

toby12f wrote:
To be honest I don't know the last bit means, however I did use HWInfo for the temps. Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out.

Sorry. The program he found is the OCCT you see that has the power supply stress test. While running that you can use HWInfo to monitor the sensors you want. The other tip is you can double click a sensor in HWInfo and it opens the graph view for that sensor. You can open multiple graphs like that at the same time.

toby12f
Level 7
Anything specific I should be looking out for?