System:

- EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 Ultra Gaming OC
- Asus Rog Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi
- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600 MHz CL36 2x16 GB
- Intel i9-12900K
- Corsair H170i AIO (420mm radiator)
- Western Digital SN850 2 TB NVMe SSD
- SeaSonic Focus 850W 80+ Platinum

Apologies in advance if this is not the right spot for this question, in which case I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

I keep getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSODs. I have tried with and without XMP II, with and without Asus AI overclocking, and even 100% default settings. I also thought it might have been because the motherboard jumper for additional CPU voltage wasn't 'enabled', so I moved it, but I am still getting this BSOD in <10 minutes on Prime95. The thermals on the CPU are all under 100°C on each core. Even with stock settings, the cores reach 5.3 MHz. I have been told this is an issue with the voltage, and I should raise VCore slightly, however I don't know how to do this. It even BSODs occasionally on idle loads, with only 1% of CPU in use. All my drivers are up to date, as is the BIOS. If the problem is indeed the CPU voltage, how do I go about raising it safely? Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
83 REPLIES 83

toby12f wrote:
So I got it stable by lowering the default memory clock from 5600 MHz to 4800 MHz and turning on adaptive VCore instead of auto in BIOS. How do I now go about allowing it to use 5600 MHz

Hello,

Try the following firstly, apply XMP

set:

System Agent (VCCSA): 0.98
VDD: 1.35
VDDQ 1.35
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

Try the following firstly, apply XMP

set:

System Agent (VCCSA): 0.98
VDD: 1.35
VDDQ 1.35

I was only able to set VCCSA at 0.99, it kept rounding. This seemed way more stable, and lasted at least 15 minutes, way better than ever before on Prime95, however it still crashed, albeit with a different error this time. 'A fatal hardware error occured. WHEA logger event ID 1.'

toby12f wrote:
I was only able to set VCCSA at 0.99, it kept rounding. This seemed way more stable, and lasted at least 15 minutes, way better than ever before on Prime95, however it still crashed, albeit with a different error this time. 'A fatal hardware error occured. WHEA logger event ID 1.'

Any reason why you're using Prime? Use the system for what you built it for.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Intel seems more worried about 13th gen Sales Forcasts (12gen+)
But between lack of transparency and blovk diagrams system platform info in easily digestible public available format.

Decent IPC of a good quality without bundled lesser IPC, cache girth at cost of cache effecincy,efficiency,, undisclosed quality, of manufacturing memory ics are same specifically barley adequate for inadequate memory Not New Why is it not New KF without scar of failed grafting KFS without scars from any attempted grafting igpu or Eficent, only to be wasted silicon, never used until E-cores are E waste upon gaming designation... why don't you tell you standards and open source think tanks it's unethical so they can publicly tell you the same... hopefully 13th gen comes with lube

toby12f
Level 7
Upon further event inspection, I noticed that this 'Critical' event occured a few seconds before: https://pastebin.com/yaa0FAFp
After that, there is an 'Error' event: https://pastebin.com/TuNJu7nc

toby12f
Level 7
I was told to use that to test stability. If it crashes after 15 minutes in Prime, doesn’t that make it unstable and likely to crash on normal use? If I am wrong please correct me and I will use it and see.

toby12f
Level 7
I will try to contact Asus support. They don’t make it easy. It’s impossible to use the “chat” function from Canada, and their offices are almost never open.

toby12f
Level 7
This was resolved. I took it to the retailer and they fixed stuff in BIOS, apparently the XMP mode was wrong and he did it himself. It worked for at least 25 minutes without crashing on Prime95 so that’s good enough for me. As long as I don’t have any BSODs during normal use I think that’s all. Thank you for the help.

toby12f wrote:
This was resolved. I took it to the retailer and they fixed stuff in BIOS, apparently the XMP mode was wrong and he did it himself. It worked for at least 25 minutes without crashing on Prime95 so that’s good enough for me. As long as I don’t have any BSODs during normal use I think that’s all. Thank you for the help.

Good to hear! Once you get the Strix-F running, it's a fine machine.

I wonder what the vendor fixed with the XMP mode? The only thing they could do was either resetting the BIOS, and/or selecting non-XMP, default settings.

toby12f
Level 7
Not going to read all this arguing, but TL;DR I don’t know what the guy did but it is not working again. It worked for 20 minutes in the store, I took it home, next day I tried loading Team Fortress 2 and it blue screened 3 times in a row. This is unbearable. I’m not even trying to overclock it for god’s sake. It blue screens on default settings on TEAM FORTRESS 2. THIS IS A GAME FROM 2007. I am taking it to the retailer tomorrow and will have the motherboard replaced. This is actually the most frustrating experience I have ever had with computers. No matter what setting it put it on I get blue screens in game after only 5 minutes. I don’t know what to do at this point. I am considering simply returning the motherboard and buying a different manufacturer, this is absurd that I can’t run a 2007 game on even default settings without instant “clock watchdog timeout”.