System:

- EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 Ultra Gaming OC
- Asus Rog Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi
- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600 MHz CL36 2x16 GB
- Intel i9-12900K
- Corsair H170i AIO (420mm radiator)
- Western Digital SN850 2 TB NVMe SSD
- SeaSonic Focus 850W 80+ Platinum

Apologies in advance if this is not the right spot for this question, in which case I would appreciate if you could point me in the right direction.

I keep getting CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSODs. I have tried with and without XMP II, with and without Asus AI overclocking, and even 100% default settings. I also thought it might have been because the motherboard jumper for additional CPU voltage wasn't 'enabled', so I moved it, but I am still getting this BSOD in <10 minutes on Prime95. The thermals on the CPU are all under 100°C on each core. Even with stock settings, the cores reach 5.3 MHz. I have been told this is an issue with the voltage, and I should raise VCore slightly, however I don't know how to do this. It even BSODs occasionally on idle loads, with only 1% of CPU in use. All my drivers are up to date, as is the BIOS. If the problem is indeed the CPU voltage, how do I go about raising it safely? Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
83 REPLIES 83

toby12f
Level 7
Well, we found something haha. Instant BSOD on the "Power test". It's the same CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT. Although CPU temps were jumping quite high. This is no CPU OC but with XMP enabled. Does this mean the power supply is faulty?

toby12f
Level 7
Gonna have to bring this right back to the retailer again, this is insane.

toby12f
Level 7
It made it 30 seconds on stock BIOS settings (no XMP). This is absurd. The only possible thing I can think of is the AC voltage from my house, but that seems like a stretch at this point.

toby12f wrote:
It made it 30 seconds on stock BIOS settings (no XMP). This is absurd. The only possible thing I can think of is the AC voltage from my house, but that seems like a stretch at this point.

My guess is there is a problem with the power supply, perhaps just a bad connector somewhere. I think it can only be determined by changing out parts. But careful inspection of the whole rig and components might reveal something. I hope the retailer solves it for you.

Jimbo93 wrote:
My guess is there is a problem with the power supply, perhaps just a bad connector somewhere.

Exactly my thought. It seems that instability in the power supply is causing this. Either something is wrong with the PSU itself, or as you said, a bad connector somewhere.

toby12f
Level 7
This will be my third trip there, so far they keep telling me there’s nothing wrong with it. I will stop at a family member’s house to double check the issue isn’t the AC voltage in my house.

toby12f
Level 7
I’m bringing it in tomorrow, but if it is the power supply, is there any way I can check? Anything specific I am looking for in terms of wiring?

toby12f wrote:
I’m bringing it in tomorrow, but if it is the power supply, is there any way I can check? Anything specific I am looking for in terms of wiring?

not sure how helpful I can be on the specifics. But I would inspect all PS connectors for looseness or signs they are getting hot. Slight discoloration or worse. Damage to any male/female parts you can see of each connector.

toby12f wrote:

Obviously, the instant slam dunk test is to ship the CPU, motherboard, storage, PSU, RAM And video card to the retailer and have them test those 6 components together in the same identical installation as you have, as well as run OCCT PSU test with or without AI OC. If it passes there with flying colors, well, that transformer did some damage to your wiring or you're getting "dirty power" because that incident. I'm not going anywhere near "Dirty power" debates as I know nothing about it, period.

An equally slam dunk test is to take your entire system to a friend or relative's house who does not live close to your power grid and test it there. If it's 100% stable, then you 100% know it's your power. If it crashes there, then I would look very carefully at the power supply itself, since the retailer tested a different PSU.

toby12f
Level 7
I tried at a separate house. Same problem. Everything is brand new, but it’s possible something is defective. I did make sure all the wires were in firmly. I have brought it to the retailer twice and both times they said it was fine. Going to try again today and show them what’s wrong with it by testing in front of them. The OCCT PSU test failed within a minute on a multitude of combinations.