cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bundled DDR5 modules not working with Strix Z690-F

Chainbold
Level 11
I got a Rog Strix Z690-F that Asus (in Japan) is bundling with 2x16 GB Samsung DDR5-4800. These Samsung DDR5 modules (M323R2GA3BB0-CQKODRAM) are listed as validated by Asus for their Z690 boards.

(1) My Strix Z690- F will not boot with the modules in any of the A sockets. The recommended A2/B2 combination isn't working as well. I claimed the RAM as faulty, the vendor kindly changed the RAM. However, the new modules as well do not work in sockets A1/A2. The latest, unofficial, Bios "08" does not change anything in this regard.

(2) I found out that the board is only working with the modules in either of the B sockets.

(3) CPU-Z reads the JEDEC value for the RAM correctly as 4800MHz, but the Z690-F Bios clocks it down to 4000MHz by default (when left on auto). I need to manually change the frequency.

(4) Running the RAM in the B sockets, I get these 4800 rated modules up to 6000 MHz. The modules are ok.

Any idea how I can make it work in the recommended combination in sockets A2/B2, or why the board would not boot with the modules in any of the A sockets?

EDIT: THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED.
18 REPLIES 18

My board is Prime Z690-A DDR5, and my ram would not work in any A module but in B module. Anything I put in A module will make the board not to post with orange ram light.

After reading this, it really inspired me to check how my cpu is seated in the socket because I have the washer mod. I remove all the washers, restore the cpu bracket to factory default, and now my A module works.

Thank you for posting this, my problem is resolved.

eezeypeezey wrote:
Hmm, so new RAM sticks fixed your problem?
I'm having the same issue with slots A1 or A2 in use --> barely boots win11 the first time, and thereafter won't even boot to Windows. This is with either XMP or XMP turned off.
The RAM I have is a 2x16GB (32GB total) Corsair Dominator DDR5 5200 (CMT32GX5M2B5200C38).
Corsair support either wants me to run 8 billion memtests to help my any farther. On Reddit, their support has claimed that the issue lies with the CPU (or CPU seating or CPU cooler pressure), or is a problem with the motherboard.
Memtest passes fine when I use any combo of the B slots (using both B1 and B2, using either one individually with one stick of the RAM). Memtest can't even finish if I put a stick in either A1 or A2. It has numerous errors as well when using these slots. It seems doubtful that it is a problem with the RAM itself. XMP runs fine while using slots B1 and B2.

Anyone have ideas?

I have checked the CPU and CPU socket for any physical defects - there are none visible. When checking on this, I reseated the CPU and re-attached my Arctic Freeze 240 cooler (the top part - I have not tried adjusting the backplate screws, because who wants to remove their entire motherboard for a slim chance of rectifying the problem?). BTW, I am using Arctic's LGA1700 backplate kit.
The only simple recourse left here to try, is to reapply the cooler again using a new tube of thermal paste (already have it in hand). I didn't have much paste when applying the cooler the first/second time, so its a bit sparse. Attaching the cooler again with more paste is the only thing I can think of to try.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Hi guys, i have a question. i have a z690-a prime and 2 8gb crucial rams at 4800. if i put the sticks at recommended slots(A2 B2) every thing is fine and i can run them at full speed (4800mh) but if i put those 2 sticks in A1 B1 slots the speed is limited to 4000mh. is this how these new motherboards build?

sblantipodi
Level 9
I have tried
2x8GB Patriot 4800MHz

and 4x16GB Corsair Dominator 5600MHz.

even at default settings the mainboard clock it down to 4GHz...

It seems that my mobo does not let me go over 4GHz with ram

sblantipodi
Level 9
if I use only B slots I can use 5.2GHz.
If I put something on A slot frequency is locked at 4Ghz

Did you update the BIOS? The latest version is 0811

sblantipodi
Level 9

sblantipodi wrote:
the latest bios from asus seems to be 0803

https://rog.asus.com/it/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios

Hi,

It was released by shamino (ASUS team) in third party forum.

Direct Link to the 0811/0812 BIOS :

ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Apex motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Formula motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 motherboard (BIOS 0812) : Link
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link

ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-PLUS motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link
ASUS TUF Gaming Z690-PLUS WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link

ASUS PRIME Z690-A motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link

ASUS ProArt Z690 Creator WiFi motherboard (BIOS 0811) : Link

sblantipodi wrote:

https://rog.asus.com/it/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios

The latest (posted in the sticky) is this: 0811

Shamino wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/euizkcgv50od3in/ROG-STRIX-Z690-F-GAMING-WIFI-ASUS-0811.rar?dl=0

sblantipodi wrote:

does this bios brings some improvements to RAM ?