cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

troopergr
Level 7
Asus Strix Z690-F owner here and all bios after 1403 are complete trash, constant blue screens. I tried 1720 and it seemed ok but I got a blue screen after a couple of days during a game. So I tested RAM using karhu and got an error. I tried to change some settings in bios, (more volts etc) but things got worse.

So eventually got back to 1403 and no memory errors whatsoever, everything is rock stable.

Ram is Gksill 6000-CL40, cpu 12900k.
i9-12900K, Asus Strix Z690-F, G.Skill 6000-32GB, Asus TUF 3090 OC, watercooled, Odyssey G9

curthard89
Level 7
This was absolutely horrible, 1720 utterly sucks (and was forced today on me).

After rolling back to 1401 (amazing), next reboot installed the bloody 1720 again.

The only way I managed to get this to stop happening is:

1. Let it install 1720
2. Once back into windows, goto Device Managed, Firmware -> System Firmware -> Driver -> Rollback (which by looks of it just writes something in the reg and probably deletes the update)
3. Reboot and rollback bios to 1401
4. Get back into BIOS set all my undervolt and XMP
5. Reboot back into windows, check device manager has no update for the System Firmware
6. Back to gaming

This was all on W10, hope this helps someone.**

curthard89 wrote:
(and was forced today on me).

Can you provide more detail on this? What version of Win 10 are you running? Do you have anything special going on such as insider builds or your machine is part of a group policy? Did you get the update after manually checking for updates? And anything else you can think of.

Some made a similar claim last month but ASUS didn't request for Microsoft to make this mandatory and others have been unable to replicate a forced update. I wondered if maybe Microsoft was treating some users differently but then it seemed to stop. So if this is still happening this month we need to collect as much detailed information as possible to present to ASUS. ASUS won't be able to correct the situation unless it has enough information to replicate it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

There is another thread where somebody said that uninstalling Armoury Crate stopped the forced updates for them. I can't remember which thread it was right now, but that might give a clue regarding another possible cause?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Regarding Armoury Crate as a possible cause, here is the thread I mentioned above. I managed to find it:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130391-ROG-Strix-690-E-Wish-to-Revert-to-Previous-BIOS
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
Regarding Armoury Crate as a possible cause, here is the thread I mentioned above. I managed to find it:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130391-ROG-Strix-690-E-Wish-to-Revert-to-Previous-BIOS

Hrmm. Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in the back of my mind but I'm inclined to think it might be a coincidence. A firmware pushed by Windows update being reapplied by Armoury Crate? AC isn't integrated with Windows Update so I'm not sure how such a thing would theoretically happen. It seems more likely that user was finally able to break the cycle some other way and happened to uninstall AC at the same time. But, thank you for keeping an eye out.

xeromist wrote:
Can you provide more detail on this? What version of Win 10 are you running? Do you have anything special going on such as insider builds or your machine is part of a group policy? Did you get the update after manually checking for updates? And anything else you can think of.

Some made a similar claim last month but ASUS didn't request for Microsoft to make this mandatory and others have been unable to replicate a forced update. I wondered if maybe Microsoft was treating some users differently but then it seemed to stop. So if this is still happening this month we need to collect as much detailed information as possible to present to ASUS. ASUS won't be able to correct the situation unless it has enough information to replicate it.

Just a bog standard W10 install, no insider build, I checked for updates, did not really pay attention to what was being installed, but did not look at optional or check anything in optional. I installed those updates and saw when it rebooted it said it would do something on next boot. Next boot then proceeded to install 1720.

Sorry not much to go on, was just an annoying experience.Â*

curthard89 wrote:
Just a bog standard W10 install, no insider build, I checked for updates, did not really pay attention to what was being installed, but did not look at optional or check anything in optional. I installed those updates and saw when it rebooted it said it would do something on next boot. Next boot then proceeded to install 1720.

Sorry not much to go on, was just an annoying experience.Â*

OK, thanks for replying. I know we're not normally watching Windows Update closely expecting something to go wrong.

In case someone else finds themselves in this situation, here is my experience and remedy to downgrade from bios 1720.

I have a ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 and chose to optionally install bios 1720 through Windows Update, it wasn't forced on me. The only tweak from default that I currently use is to select the XMP 1 memory profile, but I found stability much worse than bios 1601 and experienced several BSOD.

I decided to regress back to bios 1601 but found that the 1720 BIOS was automatically reinstalled every time I rebooted after downgrading the bios manually. To get round this, I used the excellent Driver Store Explorer tool referenced earlier in this thread to remove the bios update. I had to use the force remove option because the bios is marked as being in use.

After this I was able to downgrade to bios 1601 manually and bios 1720 now appears as an optional update again (Never ever, ever to be reinstalled!!).

Best wishes, Peter

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Kindly call it what it is: a simple bios update and don't dumb it down to:
WE ARE NOT APPLE USERS !