cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

If they are not able to create a stable BIOS after a year from the alder lake release,
just think on how good this mobos will be for raptor lake when enthusiasts and new users will move to z790.

I think that Asus doesn't deserve my money anymore.

mr_allroy wrote:
I'm not liking this bios. I had 1601 setup just the way I like it, then I get forced by windows update to update to ver. 1720 and now my temps are up at least 10 degrees. I set up a negative adaptive voltage of .05 which helps with temps and doesn't seem to affect performance. But bios ver. 1720 seems to ignore this. I also noticed that the CPU Package Power was maxing out between 240-250 watts on ver 1720 whereas ver 1601 doesn't go much above 200 watts with the same settings in both versions.

I'm back on ver 1601 and have confirmed all this.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior and any other issues that have popped up with this version?[/QUOT

Have the same problem with 1720 ignore negative adaptive voltage. I also backed down to 1601 much better temp and volts now

I was just about to update to 1720, I'll hold off for now !

I'm still on 1504 (Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4) and only have an issue with the bios not waking my monitor from sleep if I'm not fast enough switching on the pc (hence the dreaded bright white led), yet Windows always does when it boots so must be a bios issue !
i9-13900kf, Asus Rog Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4, Team Group PC4-28800c16 @3600, Seagate Firecuda 530 2Tb, 850W Seasonic PrimeTX.

How did you get forced to update the Bios from Windows Update? I don`t think Windows does Bios updates,

I'm running 1701 beta from 07/29/22,.. everything is solid,.. no forced BIOS updates.

I haven't installed 1601 on any of my systems, 1503 was the newest version I have installed. I installed 1701 last month.

Is the forced 1720 BIOS update from Windows/Asus only effecting those running 1601 BIOS :confused:

mr_allroy
Level 9
Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed, windows 11 (maybe win 10 too), is forcing some users to update their bios. Ver 1720 in this case. Which is broken AF. This has never happened to me before. And when I downgrade to ver 1601, windows forces the update on my even before windows loads. I can't stop this behavior and it's intrusive and unwanted.

Can someone from ASUS please tell me how to stop windows from doing this unwanted update? And you may want to look at ver 1720 because the V/F curve isn't working and any adaptive voltages regarding the global core svid has no effect.

Thanks and hope to hear back from someone soon. 🙂

mr_allroy wrote:
Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed, windows 11 (maybe win 10 too), is forcing some users to update their bios. Ver 1720 in this case. Which is broken AF. This has never happened to me before. And when I downgrade to ver 1601, windows forces the update on my even before windows loads. I can't stop this behavior and it's intrusive and unwanted.

Can someone from ASUS please tell me how to stop windows from doing this unwanted update? And you may want to look at ver 1720 because the V/F curve isn't working and any adaptive voltages regarding the global core svid has no effect.

Thanks and hope to hear back from someone soon. 🙂

I confirm that voltages are completely broken with 1720, Extreme mobo here.

I found a possible temporary solution on another forum that I've tried and I believe works to stop windows from updating the bios. I turned TPM and PTT off in the bios and have rebooted 4 times now (using ver 1601) without being auto updated. So far, so good.

Please let me know if this works for you folks. Hopefully ASUS resolves this sooner than later.

LOL is that what happened?

I got back from out of town today and noticed my BIOS had been reset to defaults and then I noticed the BIOS had actually been updated.

I couldn't figure out what had happened.

EDIT: Yep sure enough I see the ASUS firmware update under the drivers sections in Windows Update History. I wonder why they would start this all of the sudden? Maybe it's cause they are expected someone to upgrade to the new 13th gen processor or something and not know to update their BIOS before hand?

Adrian1983
Level 11
I've just flashed this bios and straight away noticed in the bios the V core was higher than usual and the clock speed was stuck at 5ghz in the Bios, Previosuly my V core was reasding 1.276-1.296 in the Bios now it's reading 1.314.

Also just checked Hw Info after doing a couple of quick tests and now the V core is spiking at ove94641r 1.41V!! it never went over 1.350v previoulsy.

Avoid it! and thanks Asus!!