cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

Raider0001 wrote:
there is no 2004 bios for me

they finally updated mine and after couple of days its running fine

Simk1n wrote:
Update ME first, then BIOS.

2004 is so far so good on my Apex.

Updated both ME and the BIOS 2004. However, encountered a number of BSOD after updating. Not sure if it was due to updating of ME or BIOS. Ended up rolling back the ME installation using a backup Windows image. Seems stable so far. Think better to stay off the ME updates for now.

Simk1n
Level 8
After updating to 2004, the 1720 is still showing in optional updates in Windows 11. Is there any way to remove this?

Edit: Here is a tool to hide updates

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hoe-to-remove-optional-updates-driver-updates-...

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The latest 2004 version does not allow users to roll back this time to ensure compatibility with next gen CPUs, many ME updates and optimizations are included. The description for the update should've been clearer, the team has been made aware. Thanks for reporting it, sorry it was not made clear.

Bainsmit
Level 8
Hello,
I have installed 2103 bios on my z690 hetro board but my widowsm2h22 offers me as optional updatem1720 update ..i am ignoring this optional update but it is strange thing....as 2103 is much newer update which supposadly does not allow roll back to 1720

Y

Yes, exactly the same here and I have seen other people mention it as well. Just ignore it, it won't do any harm. There are tools to hide optional updates, although I haven't bothered to do so.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Teojak91
Level 8

Does 1720 allow me to use 13 gen processor? I5 13600k ? I have brand new motherboard z690 with 1720 bios and waiting for i5 13600kf

I believe it does yes, but was a buggy release (and is now old). You would be much better to flash a more recent version like 2703 (which has generally been pretty good).

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Thanks for answer!!

My primary thing is just a problem does it works I gonna update it a year to newest version at the start. I don't want situation where I put motherboard and CPU and I can't even use it without newer bios that's why I'm asking I can see on change log there is something like:

1. Improve system stability

2. Update Microcode for next generation Intel Processors."

So I'm assuming updating microcode for next gen is that this gonna work. 

When I check it on Asus is shows I need bios ver 2004 but on the change log 2004 there is no I do that allows me to use 13 gen or anything like on 1702 microcode or stuff like that.

Well just try it and see. I don't know what motherboard you have, but if it has the flashback port then you can even update the BIOS without a CPU. If not (and you can get into the BIOS) then update using EZFlash.

If it won't boot with 13th Gen and you don't have a flashback port, then you would need to put in a 12th Gen CPU to update the BIOS. That's worst case though, I think you'll be alright. Once you have updated the BIOS and installed Windows, then you will be able to install all drivers and don't forget to update ME firmware as well (which you can only do from Windows). Enjoy your new build...

Edit: If it does boot OK with 1720, then install Windows, MEI drivers, then flash ME Firmware before finally updating the BIOS. That's the best way to do it.