cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

Zardoc
Level 10
I'm still offered updates even if 1702 is installed.

Boot is way slower since this force update. Even if I roll back boot is slower.

I have the exact same board in another room (same set-up) that did not update bios and the speed issue is not present.
Can't have more proof than that!!

What a mess. :mad:

Zardoc wrote:

I have the exact same board in another room (same set-up) that did not update bios and the speed issue is not present.

For Asus's staff, with the fact that now the 1720 it is optional ,consider the issues of 1720 solved!
She is not interested in collaborating with Intel and Microsoft to solve the situation, she only finds pretexts to turn around.

Disclaimer: If I am saying something incorrect, please provide to Asus users with feedback on what you have done to date to remedy the matter

And don't forget, Z690 for Asus is now old stuff, because Z790 Boards have priority of manpower!

Wolfsaccount wrote:
And don't forget, Z690 for Asus is now old stuff, because Z790 Boards have priority of manpower!

Yes, it's something to take into account, but current Z690 users will probably think 3 times before buying again a new Asus motherboard

What a mess.

@Asus you need to improve communication with your customers.

* "Improve System stability" on the bios changelog its not enough! If there is security fixes we need to know as some mod as talked about! I been stable on 1505 and havent updated yet was about to do it from this bios but the whole voltage problem have stoped me, if there is security fixes let us KNOW, I need to keep my system secure.

* undervoltings is also part of OCing, on GPUs undervolting is massive gains in power usage and temps for a fractional of fps cost or no cost at all, ppl buy better power deliver mobos not to always chase LN2 or whatever scores, ppl also buy them to have more stability run the system cooler when needed but also turn it to eleven when they desired.

Now that the whole auto bios update has been "fixed" it seems, ppl that got it automatic have workarounds by deleting files or disabling firmware, Asos need to work on the 1720 voltage issues, if the ucode from Intel is doing the Voltage shenanigans we need to know that the issue is being looked up from Intel or atlest that you are passing the feedback to your provider(intel), that you are QAing the problem not turning a deaf ear.

You guys seem keen to get reports about the automatic updates but not asking for feedback about the 1720 voltage issues, but ppl are giving feedback and you guys aren't responding.

akgis_ wrote:
What a mess.

* "Improve System stability" on the bios changelog its not enough! If there is security fixes we need to know as some mod as talked about! I been stable on 1505 and havent updated yet was about to do it from this bios but the whole voltage problem have stoped me, if there is security fixes let us KNOW, I need to keep my system secure.

* undervoltings is also part of OCing, on GPUs undervolting is massive gains in power usage and temps for a fractional of fps cost or no cost at all, ppl buy better power deliver mobos not to always chase LN2 or whatever scores, ppl also buy them to have more stability run the system cooler when needed but also turn it to eleven when they desired.

Now that the whole auto bios update has been "fixed" it seems, ppl that got it automatic have workarounds by deleting files or disabling firmware, Asos need to work on the 1720 voltage issues, if the ucode from Intel is doing the Voltage shenanigans we need to know that the issue is being looked up from Intel or atlest that you are passing the feedback to your provider(intel), that you are QAing the problem not turning a deaf ear.

You guys seem keen to get reports about the automatic updates but not asking for feedback about the 1720 voltage issues, but ppl are giving feedback and you guys aren't responding.

Asus doesn't care about us! I But it will pay for that with the loss of trust and sales over time

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
There are no new features except for new CPU support. 'Improved system stability' is a bit vague but simply means updates to certain parameters to increase the margin for memory (RAM). This may allow some sticks which weren't stable to work properly. To be clear, this does not mean the QVL has been updated.
akgis_ wrote:
What a mess.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
There are no new features except for new CPU support. 'Improved system stability' is a bit vague but simply means updates to certain parameters to increase the margin for memory (RAM). This may allow some sticks which weren't stable to work properly. To be clear, this does not mean the QVL has been updated.

Please let us know all this details, that change with new BIOS.
"Improved system stability" is very lazy

So in sum this bios 1720 shoud had said from what I read in this thread, could be alot more that we dont know

* New ucode from Intel version xxx
* Preliminary support from Raptor lake cpus
* Improved Dram stability

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Perhaps check your memory timing. Identical sticks don't mean same performance or headroom.

Zardoc wrote:

OK i finally got 6200 cl38 2x16 in a2 b2 thanks to Buildzoids video , passed bios memtest on my Asus z690 Extreme bios 1601 (pretty sure its a 2021 manufactured). 1720 doesnt allow for cpu undervolting , most think its a bug , since Asus has been quiet on the issue til now. See if your descriptions would be more descriptive your customers would know what to diagnose. The only thing i did different then buildzoid is not use xmp, i set manual in bios but used all his tweaks for memory.

Asus , when your customers have memory on your QVL , they should just work , when our setups match what your boards say they can do. I went thru 2 12900k and 2 12900ks cpus , thinking that its the cpus memory controllers. My 1st z690 extreme nuked itself with the Teamgroup 2x16 6200 cl38 on your QVL didnt boot at all with memory code errors, i even tried GSKILL 2x16 cl36. I then rma that board with place of purchase and bought extreme from microcenter , i have tried it with xmp1 xmp2 and also asus tweaked settings in bios for both sets then also tried the settings posted in the asus maximus oc pdf that that was on overclockers forum, and nothing got me stable ( memtest errors or a lot of game crashing) until i took buildzoids settings for his hynix 4x16 6000 settings for my TG 6200 cl38.

This isnt a rant but hopefully things will get better with your customers input. Your customers are loosing faith after the z690 Heros on fire 7 months time to recall debacle, then the z690 apex 2021s memory problems, and now still waiting on fix for memory that is on QVL to just work when using xmp1 and/or xmp2.
Thanks for your time. I hope i explained this right.