cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Sounds like you're getting what I said regarding the release notes and the behaviour of the latest BIOS conflated, possibly a language barrier

It's common that ucode updates impact or break memory stability if overclocking, nothing to report. Simply because it was stable on an older build and now isn't really doesn't warrant attention. This is the nature of overclocking.

I will see if I can replicate the voltage discrepancies on the APEX. 1.72v Sounds more like a polling error.

Hey dude! Are you you're telling me that if with the 1720 release the system is not stable under overclocking is fault not of the Bios but of my settings and system and Asus does not take it in consideration?

Please tell me it was a joke, otherwise you are unprofessional and not serious.

If a user buys a Z690 APEX or an Extreme in your opinion does not bring any overclocking to his PC?

I repeat that I am not a newbie and that the issues of 1720 release has been found by other users!! And I'm not talking about Windows Update.

But do not be afraid, I will turn your answer publicly and to some of your superiors and you will see that your desire for arrogance will pass you.

abortoletto wrote:
Hey dude! Are you you're telling me that if with the 1720 release the system is not stable under overclocking is fault not of the Bios but of my settings and system and Asus does not take it in consideration?

Please tell me it was a joke, otherwise you are unprofessional and not serious.

If a user buys a Z690 APEX or an Extreme in your opinion does not bring any overclocking to his PC?

I repeat that I am not a newbie and that the issues of 1720 release has been found by other users!! And I'm not talking about Windows Update.

But do not be afraid, I will turn your answer publicly and to some of your superiors and you will see that your desire for arrogance will pass you.

ucode is released by Intel, not ASUS. If the new ucode released by Intel has an impact on memory overclocking then you need to adjust your overclock. Or, if you'd prefer you can roll back and use older ucode at the risk of exposing yourself to potential security threats in the pursuit of performance. There is always compromise, sometimes there might be other changes to the UEFI that will impact memory stability, but this is the nature of the beast.

The difference between users is some accept these things for what they are, others get hung up on things they either don't fully understand or can't change. Personally, I haven't experienced any real change in memory stability between builds since launch, so it can also come down to how conditional the overclock was in the first instance.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
ucode is released by Intel, not ASUS. If the new ucode released by Intel has an impact on memory overclocking then you need to adjust your overclock. Or, if you'd prefer you can roll back and use older ucode at the risk of exposing yourself to potential security threats in the pursuit of performance. There is always compromise, sometimes there might be other changes to the UEFI that will impact memory stability, but this is the nature of the beast.

The difference between users is some accept these things for what they are, others get hung up on things they either don't fully understand or can't change. Personally, I haven't experienced any real change in memory stability between builds since launch, so it can also come down to how conditional the overclock was in the first instance.

Ucode is provided by Intel and I fully agree with you. But the Bios is provided by Asus through support page and Microsoft by Windows Update

Anyway I'm tired of repeating it, my advice for the satisfaction of all users and not only for some elected people the temporary removal of 1720 would not be a bad idea. If you are fine so no problem, but could be a good thing to wait from Intel a better ucode

This is my score with full stability of my pc after few weeks the release of Alder Lake CPUs.

"exposing yourself to potential security threats"

The description of 1720 bios don't mentions : improvements of security code

I just wanted to support the earlier comments about keeping things polite here and on a positive note I'm gonna add that I'm very happy with my setup (see below). I'm running at default settings and I've never had an issue with anything (well, apart from difficulty trying to kill/completely remove Sonic Studio 3 and its drivers) but this has been a great system for me. I know I'm not overclocking and these boards are designed for that purpose, but in my experience the product works well - at least for gaming and day-day use on default settings. My CPU draws 35W in normal use and runs at 30-35C doing normal 'Windows stuff'. Now I'm going to be controversial and say that if you want to overclock then go for it, but it inevitably becomes more likely that problems will arise depending on what has been changed and the specific hardware in use.

I have not installed 1720 (it was optional for me) because of the issues reported here, so I'm sticking on 1601 for now. Regardless, it's quite fair that people should expect good software and support for premium products, but if we are not polite, then those that can help us will be less inclined to.

Sure, this BIOS has had voltage/temp issues for some people and forced updates, where they have occurred, is not good at all. I'm not trying to justify any of that, but please keep it nice. That's the best way to get support from the people that can help. Things will go wrong at times, it happens, but let's not lose perspective. I know that's easy for me to say because my system is working well and of course I'm sorry for those that have had updates and POST issues. I had an MSI board where a 'capsule' BIOS update (where you cannot go back to an earlier version) caused all sorts of USB and other stability issues. That's why I spent too much money and changed to my current setup. Obviously, issues like this are frustrating, inconvenient and need to be sorted ASAP.

Like many others have suggested, if I was in charge of the appropriate team, I would pull 1720 from the support pages until a better update is available. It doesn't appear to do anything which is needed right now, so it would be an easy/zero risk thing to do. I'd also add a note on the support page explaining why it has been pulled. Then I would contact Microsoft and ensure that the circumstances under which forced updates have been happening are addressed.

Just my thoughts...

690 Maximus Hero/12900K, 32GB 5200MHz Corsair RAM, 1000W Corsair PSU, 360mm AIO, 3090TI, Win 11 Pro
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Changes in and out of reference code may or may not aid overclocking stability depending on the combination of components used, sometimes the values changed are inaccessible to the user and not easily understood. I see no reason to suggest ASUS list anything other than what's already there.

It informs of ucode updates and additional support, and other changes that benefit the users overclocking range are a bonus, YMMV.

Hey thanks for the polite response Silent Scone, All I was saying the the previous narcy response I got was it was stated that it was only for new CPU's but the description says otherwise, That is the only reason I installed this bios because of the "Improve System Stability" quote, Normally if it just said supports new CPU's I would not have bothered, But instantly I saw my voltage had increased in the bios my temps had increased both in the bios and in Windows and also in the bios my 360 Rad CPU fans kicked in the BIOS which I knew straight away something wasn't right and that was at stock before even loading my CMO profile.

Not a massive issue in the sense that I've been able to rollback thankfully but if that wasn't possible, Also it's not difficult to replicate there are loads of people with the voltage increase issue and that's the frustrating part as to why it's still up in the website, Do Asus even know about this issue if they're not monitoring this group?

Adrian1983 wrote:
Hey thanks for the polite response Silent Scone, All I was saying the the previous narcy response I got was it was stated that it was only for new CPU's but the description says otherwise, That is the only reason I installed this bios because of the "Improve System Stability" quote, Normally if it just said supports new CPU's I would not have bothered, But instantly I saw my voltage had increased in the bios my temps had increased both in the bios and in Windows and also in the bios my 360 Rad CPU fans kicked in the BIOS which I knew straight away something wasn't right and that was at stock before even loading my CMO profile.

Not a massive issue in the sense that I've been able to rollback thankfully but if that wasn't possible, Also it's not difficult to replicate there are loads of people with the voltage increase issue and that's the frustrating part as to why it's still up in the website, Do Asus even know about this issue if they're not monitoring this group?

Polite response? 😄 Basically he thinks that we are all incompetent and that Asus is not responsible if with their bios 1720 the system is unstable under oc

Shame!

Guys, disable Windows driver/firmware updates. This is the first thing I do after I install windows, I cannot count the times Windows has screwed up my system with their abysmal driver updates. Just update the drivers from the manuf and do not allow windows to install drivers at all.

Peconare wrote:
Guys, disable Windows driver/firmware updates. This is the first thing I do after I install windows, I cannot count the times Windows has screwed up my system with their abysmal driver updates. Just update the drivers from the manuf and do not allow windows to install drivers at all.

Still force install 1720 here.

Can you give a screenshot of where in Windows 11?

abortoletto wrote:
Polite response? 😄 Basically he thinks that we are all incompetent and that Asus is not responsible if with their bios 1720 the system is unstable under oc

Shame!

I mean what's annoying me the most is I wish they would put things like that in the description, If someone is at 1.45v for eg and this pushes it further without their knowledge to 1.5v then this is not acceptable it can cause damage, Overclocking or not there really is no excuse for Asus to push voltage higher with the same settings and potentially cause damage to people's hardware but as I said even when the bios was default after the flash it was still over 1.45v here in Windows so they have messed something up big time, How? I have no idea to be perfectly honest, I do not know who is testing these bios's but this is an oversight for sure, It should not be running at over 1.32v stock in the bios at everything defaults in the bios, That was the readings I was getting and the temps were certainly backing that up also.

Adrian1983 wrote:
Do Asus even know about this issue if they're not monitoring this group?

Some of the answers that you are getting are Asus employees. Don't forget this is a Chinese company.

@masterC: Still no response to my questions. Is it that no one at Asus wants to own up to the mistake?
@Asus, being honest doesn't make you look bad, it makes you look human.

You know full well that you have all the information about when the update was forced, when it was disabled and when you decided to have MS offer it as an update

Answering frankly and straightforward questions that are asked is the best way to get back confidence and show your customers that you REALLY DO CARE.

Now if what you say is true that BIOS update was never forced on some of us, does that mean we communicated between each other and organized a revolt to make you look bad?

What a huge waste of time. Man Asrock is looking better and better each day. Ohh yeah, I forgot some say that it's actually ASUS.