cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

abortoletto
Level 9
Asus and Microsoft despite the complaints of users using the standard version of Windows 10/11, still leave available the download of bios 1720 (through support page of the board and Windows Update), also as a response to those who apply overclocking states that it is "normal" that the PC is not stable. Not admitting and consequently taking useful measures to solve 1720 issues.

I have suggested them, to temporarily remove the Bios 1720, but evidently it is not their intention to do so.

For Windows insiders, it is useless to demonstrate your feedback on the problems you are experiencing because Asus will not take them into account as for those who use the standard version.

My suggestion is to roll back to a previous Bios version

nyxagamemnon
Level 7
I'd like to know why you enabled "Under volt protection" in 1720 and don't have an option to disable it? And are not letting us under volt our CPU's ? So if I want to put in a Raptor Lake CPU I loose functionality that I paid for? I suppose since I've asked many times for a comment and been ignored perhaps social media needs to get involved for you to actually not take away functionality that was paid for hum.??

Could I ask why some people here are adamant about undervolting their gaming motherboards? Most people are trying to push the performance... and several people are having stability issues, correct? Wondering if anyone here is unhappy due to the stability while undervolting.

nyxagamemnon wrote:
I'd like to know why you enabled "Under volt protection" in 1720 and don't have an option to disable it? And are not letting us under volt our CPU's ? So if I want to put in a Raptor Lake CPU I loose functionality that I paid for? I suppose since I've asked many times for a comment and been ignored perhaps social media needs to get involved for you to actually not take away functionality that was paid for hum.??

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Could I ask why some people here are adamant about undervolting their gaming motherboards? Most people are trying to push the performance... and several people are having stability issues, correct? Wondering if anyone here is unhappy due to the stability while undervolting.

Sorry, but is this question meant seriously? So many people do not overclock his CPU but want undervolt the CPU @default because the CPU don't need so much voltage like the mainboards bang on it! My 12700K is @default absolutely stable with 120mv less. I can use "Best-Case Scenario"under SVID Behavior in the bios.

MasterC@ROG wrote:

Because

1. Undervolting can mean higher overclocks. If My undervolt can = 10degrees lower on temps that mean I have the possiblity of a higher overclock before hitting a temp wall.
2. Even without Overclocking undervolting allows for lower temps which mean cooling fans use reduce RPM and that means less noise.

In the case of either 1 or 2 I can have a quiet PC when doing desktop stuff and don't mnd some noise at the higher end as when gaming I have headphones on. I have XTU profiles for quick switching depending what I'm doing. For that reason I refuse to flash a bios that is going to increase volts, temp, fan rpm and noise. There is also the fact energy bills going through the roof here so a little undervolt could reduce bills

Oh and just an FYI I had a replacement GPU on Wednesday after RMA'ing the previous GPU for intermittenat crashes. I just finished undervolting that too. Ran a 3Dmark benchmark for testing an data collection. Have 2 profiles for that too

1. Desktop use is 0.85v and a 1000Mhz clock. 10-40watts lower for desktop stuff. Actually ran benchwmark for stability testing and that dropped watts by 150, 50%, ok I won't be doing that but it proved it's stable .
2. Gaming is maxed at 0.95v 1905Mhz clock and it's 41-63 watts compared to stock. lost 1-2 fps in games and I wouldn't even notice using G-Sync.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
and several people are having stability issues, correct? Wondering if anyone here is unhappy due to the stability while undervolting.

No stability issues with my -0.090 undervolt and boosting to 49 on all cores, 12700K. Wasn't ready to upgrade but faulty motherboard and I didn't like the Idea of a used board so coming from a 7700K at 49 on all cores current levels are plenty. Will Overclock higher once games will actually benefit.

DDR4 XMP profiles are 2272mhz CL19 1.4v and 4000mhz CL18 1.35v and I'm running them at 4000Mhz CL17 1.35v DDR4. first time OC'ing Memory so I'm leaving it there, for now.

MasterC@ROG wrote:

I mean depending on the CPU you can use far less volts than stock and still be stable. Why wouldn't you want to lower temps and power draw ? My CPU can do the same speed with less volts than stock ?? Why wouldn't I want to take advantage of that? These features have been around along time.... Also to overclock the CPU and use less volts? If I were to just change the the all core boost to 5.3 lets say unless I run a fixed voltage (which would make it pointless for me atleast because why put more volts in when the cpu downclocks etc.) I would get even more volts pumped into the cpu than I need. Also the workloads I do the 12900K gets hammered so hard that the temps are out of control even on a custom loop so I have no choice. I have a 480mm and 360 with an EK Magnitude 1700 Block and a stock 12900KS I can hit 100C during my workloads.

Constant flashing of UEFI mystery has been solved apparently (correct me if I'm mistaken) Please revert to the old version if 1720 isn't working out, sorry but complaining about it will not make it any better. More updates are bound to be released, and there are people who did not experience any issues with it.

Needless to say lower temps and fan noise would be ideal (not to mention CPU longevity), and we do our best to provide that in our products. That being said, we also want everyone to have system stability. Numerous users have tried to report Armoury Crate issues while OC is not stable. Please keep in mind that Armoury Crate is sensitive to this, so if you have issues, verify by reverting to stock speeds first before reporting them. Thanks.

These days you will hit the CPU's temp threshold before the VRM's due to higher clocks and core count (was the other way around until recent years), therefore your feedback for disabling undervolt protection has already been passed on to the MB team. I cannot make an instant decision to make such changes, however I suggest to try setting the core voltage to -50mV offset instead. A few of you have reflected that you are able to push your CPU performance via undervolting, it is unusual for this number of people to all win the silicon lottery. If this is really the case, then congrats, and we'll take that into account. Wolfsaccount could even achieve stability with -120mV which is awesome. For those who haven't tried but are only here because you really want to, sorry to say but this is in no way the norm. The MB team also needs to take into account that a very small percentage of people can actually benefit (OC) from undervolting.

nyxagamemnon wrote:
I mean depending on the CPU you can use far less volts than stock and still be stable. Why wouldn't you want to lower temps and power draw ? My CPU can do the same speed with less volts than stock ?? Why wouldn't I want to take advantage of that? These features have been around along time.... Also to overclock the CPU and use less volts? If I were to just change the the all core boost to 5.3 lets say unless I run a fixed voltage (which would make it pointless for me atleast because why put more volts in when the cpu downclocks etc.) I would get even more volts pumped into the cpu than I need. Also the workloads I do the 12900K gets hammered so hard that the temps are out of control even on a custom loop so I have no choice. I have a 480mm and 360 with an EK Magnitude 1700 Block and a stock 12900KS I can hit 100C during my workloads.

delancyst
Level 7
It's a shame to hear about this voltage bug. Hope they address this in the next version.
It will be good if future changelog be more detailed/specific rather than just stating 'Improve system stability'

Hey was definitely mistaken as it is a full bios and it definitely has some issues with the ring clocks. Back to 1601. But an easy way to uninstall this is to flash back to the bios you want and use driverstore explorer to delete the driver. All i did and it went back to optional in wu. Great piece of software for cleaning out leftovers just make sure to run as admin and check force delete each time. gl

https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

raven77uk
Level 10
Rolled back to 1601 on the Strix-A. Too many voltage bugs in 1720, especially with the cache.