cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

delancyst wrote:
Is this bios 1720 safe to update? I'm more concerned about the voltage bug.

It's safe to perform a rollback to 1505 version and disable windows update until Asus release a brand new driver version (Possibly after doing some tests) and Microsoft stopped the auto update on Windows

abortoletto wrote:
It's safe to perform a rollback to 1505 version and disable windows update until Asus release a brand new driver version (Possibly after doing some tests) and Microsoft stopped the auto update on Windows

Thanks for the reply.
It is showing up as an optional update for me in Win11.
I plan to update it using the regular .CAP file method from within BIOS as I always do. I'm just concerned about the 'voltage bug' mentioned in the original post.

delancyst wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
It is showing up as an optional update for me in Win11.
I plan to update it using the regular .CAP file method from within BIOS as I always do. I'm just concerned about the 'voltage bug' mentioned in the original post.

I upgraded a Z690-F to the 1720 via CAP file (and never saw the offering through Windows Update because I already had disabled drivers and other optional updates via Group Policy). Using the exact same setting in the BIOS for a 12900K did result in consistently higher voltages in any stress tests and usage situations. It seemed to me like that increased voltage was real (and not the result of a changed interpretation at the sensor level) because the temperatures in those same activities also increased. Reverting back to 1505 and keeping the same settings saw voltages and temperatures return to what they were before flashing 1720. It also took more voltage to the DDR5 and memory controller to pass TestMem5 Universal2 on 1720 (which also wasn't required on reflashing back to 1505).

At this point it seems much safer to just avoid this update and hope that there is another less problematic revision closer to the actual launch of 13th gen for those that want to use their Z690 boards with it. Of course, results could be different with different boards and revisions from the lineup.

SioryEdge wrote:
I upgraded a Z690-F to the 1720 via CAP file (and never saw the offering through Windows Update because I already had disabled drivers and other optional updates via Group Policy). Using the exact same setting in the BIOS for a 12900K did result in consistently higher voltages in any stress tests and usage situations. It seemed to me like that increased voltage was real (and not the result of a changed interpretation at the sensor level) because the temperatures in those same activities also increased. Reverting back to 1505 and keeping the same settings saw voltages and temperatures return to what they were before flashing 1720. It also took more voltage to the DDR5 and memory controller to pass TestMem5 Universal2 on 1720 (which also wasn't required on reflashing back to 1505).

At this point it seems much safer to just avoid this update and hope that there is another less problematic revision closer to the actual launch of 13th gen for those that want to use their Z690 boards with it. Of course, results could be different with different boards and revisions from the lineup.

I shall stay on BIOS 1505 in that case, thanks for your reply!

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry the update description wasn't clearer. As far as we know, the UEFI update was never 'forced'. It is an optional update which provides support for upcoming processors - that's all. If you have no intention of upgrading in that respect, there's no need to install.

If you are faced with a compulsary update for whatever reason, please take a screenshot for us. Thanks!

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Sorry the update description wasn't clearer. As far as we know, the UEFI update was never 'forced'. It is an optional update which provides support for upcoming processors - that's all. If you have no intention of upgrading in that respect, there's no need to install.

If you are faced with a compulsary update for whatever reason, please take a screenshot for us. Thanks!

Please don't tell us lies, now it is optional! There are dozens of feedback and testimonials with screenshots that confirm that and I can try it.

abortoletto wrote:
Please don't tell us lies, now it is optional! There are dozens of feedback and testimonials with screenshots that confirm that and I can try it.
I tried it with Z690 Strix D4. Now its only updates Firmware in device manager. What i have discovered is that latest version of Armory Crate does not recognize my MoBo without 1720 Bios :eek:

ev1dence wrote:
I tried it with Z690 Strix D4. Now its only updates Firmware in device manager. What i have discovered is that latest version of Armory Crate does not recognize my MoBo without 1720 Bios :eek:

If you have installed 1720 bios and then rollback to a previous version of the Bios, you must uninstal the Armoury Crate with the tool, reboot the pc and reinstall the Armoury Crate again

abortoletto wrote:
If you have installed 1720 bios and then rollback to a previous version of the Bios, you must uninstal the Armoury Crate with the tool, reboot the pc and reinstall the Armoury Crate again
That was the strange part, i was on 1601 and did a fresh win 10 install, installed armoury crate=no recognisation, updated to 1720=mobo shows in AC. I dont overclock my system, so it helped me to access my rgb again.

Can you provide more info? We'll investigate. Some of the power users here whom I approached could not even see the update until today. What I was informed is consistent with the result - the update was optional. The screenshot was taken by a forum member.

abortoletto wrote: