cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

3DGuru wrote:
@ASUS I hope this gets resolved immediately, I have just assembled a workstation for heavy work with 3D/Product Design and Rendering, I spent over 12 thousand dollars (in my country that means 60 salaries) and I depend on it for work/support of my family (I am a freelancer), I need it ready in the next few weeks! It is outrageous and words fail to describe the disappointment of how you have approached the line of software management fans, temperature, upgrade and now the BIOS, we literally have "kids" here that understand more than your lab technicians, because these "kids" take a few minutes to find errors and problems (my sincere respect to these "kids"), not to mention the problems as "HERO RECALL" of 10,000 Z690 cards (I have one of them and if there is a problem I will sue you). ... how awful all this is, I have no words to describe the disappointment I am feeling! My old workstation that I use today has 9 years already and I was proud to have made the choice of ASUS parts... and now this, what a disappointment!!!

Given what is also expressed in my comment, I am as much angry as you, it cannot be accepted that after more than 13 years of loyalty to ASUS components, and ultimately having spent over 660 € on the motherboard from one day to another you live with fear that it could burn the card by means of a Bios, made to **** and that shoots voltages over 1.70v and 87 degrees at minimum load, and in games among other things that do not exploit the cpu at all because in 4k, when then with the same bios setup, in the previous bios I did not exceed 1,49v dinamic, and max 61 degrees. I also add that Armory Crate, to manage such temperatures, pushes the fans to 90-100% and no longer even gives the possibility to save personal profiles with a name of your choice. I believe that immediately Asus should restore with the same solution as before, because while putting back the previous bios and bios, the situation still does not improve. I'm not playing with it with € 660 spent with my savings, and as you are willing to serious solutions and measures, unfortunately part of the hardware of my PC is compromised.

bscool
Level 11

You can also disable firmware in device manager. If you disable truted computing secure you will loose your pin login (if you have one)

Zardoc
Level 10
So you guys decide to let Widows update the bios?

Are you serious? A gaming bios? What is wrong with you guys?

We try to get rid of a bunch of auto update drivers, set bios to optimal settings for personal use and then you decide that we need help to update a GAMING BIOS!!

Get real!! Disable this :mad:

abortoletto
Level 9
xeromist wrote:
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation. This thread will be updated when more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*

I use my pc for fun and for working, please remove on boards Z690 support page all the bios that with the Windows Update install automatically the 1720 version until Asus or Microsoft find a solution

Simk1n
Level 8
I dont want to have Asus/Microsoft to decide what bios i should be using. Why the hell are they forcing this 1720 bios on people through Windows update? And on top of that, its a broken bios.

Absolutely horrendous.

Retired
Not applicable
I agree with the folks here this is not cool and as posters have been saying the bios is broken.

Braegnok
Level 14
You don't want to turn-off Windows updates, if your objective is to block only unwanted Windows updates, which may be known to be causing trouble.

In such instances, it is better to use Windows Show or Hide Updates Tool, you can stop Windows from downloading specific updates.

You can also use PowerShell to Hide Specific Windows Updates.

Spicedaddy
Level 9
Forcing BIOS updates is bad enough, at least make sure your BIOS isn't full of bugs!

I'm still running 1304 on my Z690 Hero because every BIOS since seems to be worse than the last. Stop releasing a buggy BIOS every month and take your time to do some testing please.