cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

mr_allroy
Level 9
xeromist wrote:
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation. This thread will be updated when more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*

Thank you for consolidating all of this.

I'm sure we all agree, that forced bios updates via windows update is a bad thing and hopefully the fine folks as ASUS can put a stop to this intrusive practice.

While we wait for ASUS to sort this all out, I've been testing the 1701 beta bios and the voltage settings seem to work on this one. And it hasn't forced the bios update on me even with PPT and TPM enabled. Here's a link for the ROG MAXIMUS Z690 Series Beta Bios 1701

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/post-290175...

Maybe 90% of PC users dont even know what BIOS is. The other 10% buy MBs for 300 bucks and more. This guys have settings that are tested several houres/days, invest much effort and money in this. But it seems ASUS dont want this enthusiast as costumers anymore......
The Windows update "AsusTek firmware" was not clear. I googled it with no result. I never thinked it is a BIOS, because ASUS dont do this the last 15 years. They should at least make it clear that this is BIOS and that all settings will gone! What a shame
BIOS is layer deeper than OS, OS should never have controll over BIOS
Sorry for bad english.

Drayco31
Level 11
ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4 and still on 1504 myself, been keeping a close eye on Windows update since I started seeing these threads. If I look at optional and driver updates the Bios doesn't show. I use Shutup 10 and had it set to disable driver updates. Sure that wouldn't cause it to not even show but thought I'd mention it incase someone wants to try it should Windows update continue to update bios after they've reverted it

trax81
Level 7
Normaly Windows let you choose between restart/shut down with update or without. In this case i had no option to PC off without updating. Thats very strange, i never experinced that. Is this BIOS update so very important that you take away this option Microsoft/Asus? Microsoft is able to force updates this way, whitout option? Do i have to hit the powercord with a fireaxe to regain control?

Adrian1983
Level 11
And still the bios is up on the website for the Strix Gaming A, If they're aware of the voltage issues why has it not been pulled from the website?

Hero z690 here Windows 11

I never got the update for some reason hopefully never Iam still on 1505 and Iam sable I dont need the meteor lake upcode yet .

This is the weirdest thing ever forcing a bios update on a DIY/OC/Gaming board, but seems nowadays with asus you never know.

On top of that, you get the users to lose all their settings without notice to backup and a bugged BIOS, sort this out please.

Mutaz2019
Level 8
Hi;
I have ROG Z690-F WiFi and i7 12700KF
What the F**k bios 1720 my cpu temp. 98 in v1505 the temp. 74
I rollback to 1505
Still F**k windows 11 make update bios???

Cosimo
Level 7

kudos to Asus, even the fan management of Armory Crate went crazy, so summing up, crazy voltages, crazy temperatures and idle fans because there wasn't a ****ing serious program after AiSuiete, because they had to manage it from a crap like Armory Crate , I fear that the situation becomes serious and from possible damage, someone will have to answer with appropriate black and white.

Adrian1983
Level 11
And still 1720 is up on the website lol, Do Asus actually read anything here or do they just not give a **** about people potentially damaging their hardware because of the voltage issue? Maybe they like shelling out to end users when a **** ton of small claims come in for damage.

Adrian1983 wrote:
And still 1720 is up on the website lol, Do Asus actually read anything here or do they just not give a **** about people potentially damaging their hardware because of the voltage issue? Maybe they like shelling out to end users when a **** ton of small claims come in for damage.

Still up on the Canadian support page for the Hero
https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-hero-model/helpdesk_bios/

Can someone confirm whether MS is still force feeding us broken firmware via windows update?

Edit: looks like no according to a user over at overclock.net
https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/post-290223...