cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

There's quite a few of us having issues. Z690 Hero in my case. I read somewhere that disabling TPM might stop a forced bios update through Windows update. I'll report back if it works. And if it doesn't work then I won't reply. Because then I'll have nothing good to say 😀

mr_allroy wrote:
There's quite a few of us having issues. Z690 Hero in my case. I read somewhere that disabling TPM might stop a forced bios update through Windows update. I'll report back if it works. And if it doesn't work then I won't reply. Because then I'll have nothing good to say ��

I've managed to force a flashback to the previous bios via the EZ flash utility and by using the auto renaming tool, Voltages back to normal now.

Why is this bios still up for people to download on their boards, Such incompetence from Asus.

Flashed back to 1601 and voltages back to normal, Honestly the ineptness at Asus lately is becoming increasingly frustrating, Their bios descriptions are pathetic!

Don't know why the image has cut off half my post but basically the V Core is going over 1.41V with 1720 never went over 1.350v with 1601.

I've been there too, this will be the last Asus motherboard I will buy. (Asus Rog Z690 Hero) while encountering the problem with 1720 bios and returning to the previous bios I have peaks on the core voltage of 1.70v. and temperatures over 10 degrees. Are we joking? Aren't they even a little ashamed? Topogigio would have done even better. I consider it a typical planned subsolescence. If you burn hardware, let's write some cards.

The wierd part is that they aknowledgte that the bug exist but the bios is still up on the general download pages for each motherboard.

Dunno if they have reached even to MS to stop spreading this over windows update.

akgis_ wrote:
Dunno if they have reached even to MS to stop spreading this over windows update.

Yes they have. I hope that they learn their lesson and not do that anymore. What a bad decision!!

Can anyone confirm q-fan problems after update to 1720? TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
All my 3 noctua fans run at full speed now (~900rpm)... any q-fan setting in bios don't affect on them... I did "load optimized defaults"... nothing changed...

PS didn't check in ai suite because it still doesn't work with memory integrity on... when will it be finally fixed???

Nehalem87 wrote:
Can anyone confirm q-fan problems after update to 1720? TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4
All my 3 noctua fans run at full speed now (~900rpm)... any q-fan setting in bios don't affect on them... I did "load optimized defaults"... nothing changed...

PS didn't check in ai suite because it still doesn't work with memory integrity on... when will it be finally fixed???

Going by the fact this Bios is jacking up voltage it makes sense CPU is getting hotter and that to cool it Fan RPM is also rising. Looking at Voltage and Temps should make that clear and if that is the case return to your previous Bios

Drayco31 wrote:
Going by the fact this Bios is jacking up voltage it makes sense CPU is getting hotter and that to cool it Fan RPM is also rising. Looking at Voltage and Temps should make that clear and if that is the case return to your previous Bios

vcore is fine 0.9-1.26V and temps 29* idle to 60* at burn... so it's hardly the case

@ASUS I hope this gets resolved immediately, I have just assembled a workstation for heavy work with 3D/Product Design and Rendering, I spent over 12 thousand dollars (in my country that means 60 salaries) and I depend on it for work/support of my family (I am a freelancer), I need it ready in the next few weeks! It is outrageous and words fail to describe the disappointment of how you have approached the line of software management fans, temperature, upgrade and now the BIOS, we literally have "kids" here that understand more than your lab technicians, because these "kids" take a few minutes to find errors and problems (my sincere respect to these "kids"), not to mention the problems as "HERO RECALL" of 10,000 Z690 cards (I have one of them and if there is a problem I will sue you). ... how awful all this is, I have no words to describe the disappointment I am feeling! My old workstation that I use today has 9 years already and I was proud to have made the choice of ASUS parts... and now this, what a disappointment!!!