cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS v1720 Compulsory Update Mega Thread

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS is aware of the recent 1720 BIOS that was pushed by Windows Update as well as the complaints of voltage regulation.

ASUS provided this update as optional but if you had a different experience please post here in as much detail as possible:
-Whether you clicked check for updates or Windows updated automatically
-Exact name of the update as it appears on your system
-Date you got the update
-Country or region
-Windows version and product level (ie Windows 11 Home)
-Any update related settings you have chosen such as the Windows Insider Program
-Screenshots if you see Windows listing this update as anything other than optional

Thank you

This thread will be updated as more information is available.

*Multiple threads merged here. Apologies if some of the conversation is disjointed.*
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
223 REPLIES 223

same problem on Z690 extreme

Max voltage on its own isn't necessarily telling you there's a problem. You need to look at what the max voltage is when there's actually load. Spiking up to 1.4V momentarily under no/light load is basically not a problem, as you need both voltage and current (power) for it to be potentially damaging.

Also, when something like this hits, you need to load optimised defaults, then plug back in the performance tuning carefully. The auto-tuning does change between versions, so a parameter can get stuck on a high value from the old defaults which the new defaults will reduce. Not updating can also be a security issue, as the BIOS updates are where you get some of the fixes for vulnerabilities in the CPU and platform, this includes things like.

See also Jayztwocents:

Murph_9000 wrote:
Max voltage on its own isn't necessarily telling you there's a problem. You need to look at what the max voltage is when there's actually load. Spiking up to 1.4V momentarily under no/light load is basically not a problem, as you need both voltage and current (power) for it to be potentially damaging.

Also, when something like this hits, you need to load optimised defaults, then plug back in the performance tuning carefully. The auto-tuning does change between versions, so a parameter can get stuck on a high value from the old defaults which the new defaults will reduce. Not updating can also be a security issue, as the BIOS updates are where you get some of the fixes for vulnerabilities in the CPU and platform, this includes things like.

See also Jayztwocents:

It wasn't under light load, It was a CpuZ Bench test straight away it went to 1.41, It should not be going nowhere that with a bench test, that test usually gives a reading of around 1.2 ish never over 1.3 in that test.

I always load bios defaults and save and restart and then re enter settings either manually or using the .CMO config never had that issue before, Also the V core was higher than normal in the bIos also even after defaults so I knew something wasn't right even before booting to windows and testing because my CPU fans had kicked in the bios which they never normally do.

Adrian1983 wrote:
It wasn't under light load, It was a CpuZ Bench test straight away it went to 1.41, It should not be going nowhere that with a bench test, that test usually gives a reading of around 1.2 ish never over 1.3 in that test.

I always load bios defaults and save and restart and then re enter settings either manually or using the .CMO config never had that issue before, Also the V core was higher than normal in the bIos also even after defaults so I knew something wasn't right even before booting to windows and testing because my CPU fans had kicked in the bios which they never normally do.

Please check this thread
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130199-Unwanted-bios-update-via-windows-update

I've found a working band-aid solution, in my case, that works to stop this intrusive and unwelcome bios update. It might not work for everyone. Basically, flash to the bios you want and disable PPT and TPM before you reboot to windows.

Hope it helps

Is anyone else experiencing extremely long reboot times since this update? It’s taking over 3 minutes to reboot.

EDIT: went back to 1601 and now that issue is resolved *
EDIT: holy **** after another reboot my system immediately began updating to 1720 again. What the hell?

tappiah@alumni wrote:
Is anyone else experiencing extremely long reboot times since this update? It’s taking over 3 minutes to reboot.

EDIT: went back to 1601 and now that issue is resolved *
EDIT: holy **** after another reboot my system immediately began updating to 1720 again. What the hell?

Disable ppt and trusted computing.

This is a temporary solution as you will need to enable these to get further Windows updates.

https://www.overclock.net/attachments/bios-1001-trusted-png.2569162/

https://www.overclock.net/attachments/bios-1001-ppt-disabled-png.2569163/

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-asus-strix-maximus-z690-owners-thread.1794802/post-290207...

abortoletto wrote:
It is a series of solutions that the user should not even do. It must be Microsoft and Asus to solve the problem

I have Core Isolation off and I have not been forced to update my bios