cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Update Questions

ROGMAXIMUS_DSGN
Level 7

I need to update my BIOS.  I bought 2 48 GB DDR5-6400  G.Skill Trident RAM Sticks.  Upon Install, nothing would boot, not even the BIOS.  It was tough, but I reached out for some help.  Apparently there are 14 updates.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to download all updates, or does each consecutive update include all previous updates, such that I only need the latest update? 

2. Am I correctly understanding the order of operations to be:

1. download the update
  2. extract the folder
  3. use the renaming tool
  4. place the file directly onto a thumb drive
  5. plug thumb drive into the USB port with a BIOS square around it
  6. Restart computer....
  7. Bios Updates on its own? 

Along with that, I downloaded all of the other updates, so I think I am ready to go.  I thought updates were taken care of automatically with windows updates. 🤔

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vynra
Level 12

shut down your computer. place the usb drive with the updated bios into the bios slot on motherboard. hit the bios flashback button on the back of your computer. wait for it to stop blinking. turn on the computer and it should say its updating firmware/rgb 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Vynra
Level 12

shut down your computer. place the usb drive with the updated bios into the bios slot on motherboard. hit the bios flashback button on the back of your computer. wait for it to stop blinking. turn on the computer and it should say its updating firmware/rgb 

Hi Vynra,

does your solution work also for ROG STRIX X399-E Gaming motherboard?

and how should be formatted the USB key?

Many thanks.  

motherboard ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING (Version: 1002 Release Date: 02/15/2019), 64GB ram, 5 SATA3 disks (totally 7.5 TB), boot disk partitioned Windows10 + Ubuntu 18.04
gpu: NVIDIA Quadro FX1700

Oh wow threadrippet, and the steps above are the same. As far as format goes you should format your thumb drive to FAT32

OK,, I will try. Many thanks for your fast reply.

motherboard ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING (Version: 1002 Release Date: 02/15/2019), 64GB ram, 5 SATA3 disks (totally 7.5 TB), boot disk partitioned Windows10 + Ubuntu 18.04
gpu: NVIDIA Quadro FX1700