cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios/uefi update 0803 to 0811 going for 2+ hours

davidmhohn
Level 7
Hello,

I bought the z690-f gaming wifi mobo from asus . I couldn’t get the ram to run at “advertised” speeds so I updated the uefi/bios from original to 0803 while on win10 about a month ago. The updated uefi didn’t help so i decided to try 0811 while on win11 today. It is currently still on black screen after starting the uefi update 2+ hours ago, (the 0803 update took 15minutes). I took the same procedures as last time as best as I could remember (selected win11, correct 0811, extracted and renamed as stated, bios usb slot on mobo etc). Should I sleep on it and hope its done by then, (would 2+ more hours be bad?). Should I research solution (cmos/reset/older bios on usb) on what I think may be lost. Or accept my mobo might be a brick?

0803 was my first bios update ever, was excited it worked. Now I wonder if win11 had something to do with this? * Edit/update: also just noticed the boot light is on, on the mobo.*
3 REPLIES 3

Splatterfest123
Level 8
davidmhohn wrote:
Hello,

I bought the z690-f gaming wifi mobo from asus . I couldn’t get the ram to run at “advertised� speeds so I updated the uefi/bios from original to 0803 while on win10 about a month ago. The updated uefi didn’t help so i decided to try 0811 while on win11 today. It is currently still on black screen after starting the uefi update 2+ hours ago, (the 0803 update took 15minutes). I took the same procedures as last time as best as I could remember (selected win11, correct 0811, extracted and renamed as stated, bios usb slot on mobo etc).*

All you need to do is put the renamed BIOS file on a USB stick, turn off PC - leave power to the PSU and the PSU switch "ON". place USB stick in specfied "BIOS" USB socket, press and hold "BIOSFLASHBACK" button until it starts flashing then leave until it goes out.

Update will be done.

Boot into BIOS then press CLR CMOS button then boot back into BIOS. Setup BIOS as required.

Thank you so much for your response, this was just what i was looking into and had questions on and you answered them.Â*
Luckily I turned off the pc and turned it back on as I had noticed the boot light on my mobo was on making me think maybe it tried to boot sometime after the 2 hours I was sitting here waiting for it. When I turned it back on it actually booted and is running the current newest version 0811. It was weird to me that it skipped booting into uefi and went straight to OS. I thought the 0803 sent me to uefi first. Again, ty for the reply as that was going to be my next step.

davidmhohn wrote:
Thank you so much for your response, this was just what i was looking into and had questions on and you answered them.Â*
Luckily I turned off the pc and turned it back on as I had noticed the boot light on my mobo was on making me think maybe it tried to boot sometime after the 2 hours I was sitting here waiting for it. When I turned it back on it actually booted and is running the current newest version 0811. It was weird to me that it skipped booting into uefi and went straight to OS. I thought the 0803 sent me to uefi first. Again, ty for the reply as that was going to be my next step.

No worries....