cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS suggestion for new build, ROG Maximus Z690 Apex

JBBlack
Level 8
Hello all, I am finally going to get my new system running this week, as soon as my PSU gets here.

I see a lot of discussion about the new BIOS, some like it and some hate it, so I was wondering if anyone that is actually using a Z690 Apex is having success with the 2004 BIOS? I realize I can't roll back from 2004 and my board goes back to Nov of 2021 (MOAAYO) and most likely has a very early BIOS out of the box, so I'm going to need to make a decision here.

I know I can't roll back from 2004, but in the future, I will be able to move forward correct? BUT, these are the benefits:

1. Improve system performance
2. Update ME version to 16.1.25.1885v2
3. Many ME updates and optimizations for the next-gen CPU are included. This version does NOT allow rolling back to the previous versions, not even via USB BIOS FlashBack™, to ensure better compatibility

So, is the 2004 BIOS recommended for the Apex? (NOTE: I will NOT hold you to this if something goes South, I know in the end I am on my own)

My Parts List so far is:

ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
i9 12900k (Noctua U12A Black Cooler single tower dual fan)
Corsair Vengeance 32g 4800 DDR5 (not on the ASUS tested list (last I checked) but Corsair said it should be fully compatible) (NOTE will invest in a better kit as an upgrade later date)
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 P+, 80+ PLATINUM 1300W
1TB M.2 (slot_1)
2 - 2TB M.2 (DIMM.2)
Creative SB AE-7
Several 2TB SATA Drives
Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower ( lots of room to customize the inside!!)

Future parts planned:

A faster HQ ram kit
ROG 4090 (of some type, need to see which one looks best)
"Possibly" one of the fancy ROG AIO coolers, (want to make SURE they will fit the Apex and in my case)

PSU should be here Monday!! Thanks!!
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+
4 REPLIES 4

kvarq
Level 11
is the motherboard new or second hand?

4800 for RAM should be no problem 🙂
https://www.igorslab.de/en/1-motherboard-2-faces-asus-rog-maximus-z690-apex-review-with-teardown-ram...
if it's running out of the box and no crashes I would say just leave it and maybe something will be sorted out in the future
on the other hand it's Asus... so hold on :))

JBBlack
Level 8
It's new in the box, BUT, I bought it at the beginning of last January so it's an older build so I'm sure the BIOS is quite old. I read that article and watched the video going around right after I bought it, but the MOAAYO batch seemed to be ok from all I could gather.

I'm just now getting to putting everything together, I have had just too many things take priority over the build this year. I originally had a Hero but it was one of the bad ones the at ASUS recalled, so I just exchanged it for the Apex.

So, just to clarify, regarding suggestions on BIOS, should I run it with the original?? It's got to be very old, like 4 or 5 revisions old.

thanks for taking the time man
ASUS Maximus Z690 Apex ; intel 12900k ; ASUS Strix 4080 OC RTX ; 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz XMP1 ; Samsung 980 Pro Gen4/Windows 11 Pro ; Creative AE-7 ; 2-2TB Samsung 970- Evo in DIMM.2 ; Dual LG 4k Screens ; EVGA 1300P+

jackson_lab
Level 7
Since you're using 12th gen. I'd update to at least 1304. I was running that bios fine on my i9-12900K (Z690 Apex) until I updated to a KS. Then I went to 1403 because I believe it updated the VF curve and other items specifically for the KS. I have no idea why there seems to be so many people just blindly updating their bios to the latest version only to get their butts handed to them because it didn't work perfectly. Most of the newer bios seem to be updates for 13th generation. If you're using a 12th gen. Use 1304 or 1505. All known to be rock solid. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Apparently a lot of users have never heard thay saying before!? And No Rollback if 2004 or >....? No thank you.

jackson_lab wrote:
Since you're using 12th gen. I'd update to at least 1304. I was running that bios fine on my i9-12900K (Z690 Apex) until I updated to a KS. Then I went to 1403 because I believe it updated the VF curve and other items specifically for the KS. I have no idea why there seems to be so many people just blindly updating their bios to the latest version only to get their butts handed to them because it didn't work perfectly. Most of the newer bios seem to be updates for 13th generation. If you're using a 12th gen. Use 1304 or 1505. All known to be rock solid. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" Apparently a lot of users have never heard thay saying before!? And No Rollback if 2004 or >....? No thank you.

I hear ya, and that's my usual go-to way of thought, but, they list "1. Improve system performance" as the number one fix in their list of updates, and it's tough to find a reason to pass that one up. But, as you said, not being able to roll back is scary, and also makes you think of why they would make such a BIOS, unless there was something wrong with every BIOS before 2004? and they just would rather not admit it? I mean, what else makes sense?

I've been building systems since my first DX80, and I never remember having to do this much research before putting one together, ASUS usually worked right out of the box and ran strong for as long as you needed.

Appreciate the suggestions/food for thought, I will decide later today.

thank you