cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS setting questions: Asus Z690M-Plus D4

mkanet
Level 7
I'd like to know which settings in my BIOS to change below (or elsewhere) safely to optimize general CPU/SSD performance considering the cooling on my PC is pretty decent with lots of airflow.

PC Build:
PC idles at 28c-30c @5.3Ghz on Windows 11 [Windows Power Plan = High Performance]

Motherboard: Asus Z690M-Plus D4
CPU: i7 13700K
CPU cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280m
SSD: WD Black SN770 (Gen 4) 1TB
SSD2: WD Black SN770 (GeImageImagen 4) 1TB

I'm not sure if any of the settings below would work faster if explicitly changed (from Auto) such as Intel(R) Adaptive Boost Technology, ASUS MultiCore Enhancement and M.2 link speeds.

Lastly, should I disable PCI Express Native Power Management? It is currently set to Enabled. My primary focus is general CPU/disk performance, not power consumption.

2 REPLIES 2

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi mkanet,

I'd suggest that the really easy way forward is to set your BIOS to defaults (make sure XMP is still on of course) and then simply turn on AI overclock. I tried it for the first time recently and it worked perfectly. I have a 12900K and it boosted most of my P cores to 5400 max (they were mostly max 5000 before that, one or two would hit 5100 now and again). Everything was totally stable, I was very impressed with how well it worked. To be honest, the one click AI overclock seems so good that I didn't feel like manually adjusting lots of other settings would be worth the trouble. I think that that Asus has done an amazing job with that feature, at least it's been great for me.

You results will vary of course, according to your CPU and cooler. I would estimate that in normal Windows use, my CPU temp went up from 30 to 35C and power consumption increased from an average of 25W to maybe 40W. I've actually turned it back off again for now, but give it a try and see what you think. If you are playing games, I would keep an eye on temperature as the clocks will boost and generate a lot more heat.

I have no experience of changing the Adaptive Boost Technology settings - so I can't advise on that. Yes, turn off PCIe Native Power Management. Leave those other BIOS settings on Auto - works well for me anyway.

Also, go to Link State Power Management in Windows (Edit Power Plan/ Advanced settings/ PCI Express/ Link State Power Management) and disable power savings there as well. That has solved stability issues for some people and eliminated WHEA errors, so it's a good idea anyway.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

ahfoo
Level 13
mkanet wrote:
I'd like to know which settings in my BIOS to change below (or elsewhere) safely to optimize general CPU/SSD performance considering the cooling on my PC is pretty decent with lots of airflow.

PC Build:
PC idles at 28c-30c @5.3Ghz on Windows 11 [Windows Power Plan = High Performance]

Motherboard: Asus Z690M-Plus D4
CPU: i7 13700K
CPU cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280m
SSD: WD Black SN770 (Gen 4) 1TB
SSD2: WD Black SN770 (GeImageImagen 4) 1TB

I'm not sure if any of the settings below would work faster if explicitly changed (from Auto) such as Intel(R) Adaptive Boost Technology, ASUS MultiCore Enhancement and M.2 link speeds.

Lastly, should I disable PCI Express Native Power Management? It is currently set to Enabled. My primary focus is general CPU/disk performance, not power consumption.

Just keep all setting you mentioned by default as it is. Change nothing.